PDA

View Full Version : Fines may increase for left-lane campers on N.J. highways

BonzoHansen
03-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Fines may increase for left-lane campers on N.J. highways

Published: Tuesday, February 28, 2012, 9:30 AM Updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2012, 1:21 PM

http://media.nj.com/avatars/5099.png By Mike Frassinelli/The Star-Ledger

http://media.nj.com/ledgerupdates_impact/photo/10618786-large.jpgTony Kurdzuk/The Star-LedgerThe New Jersey Senate Transportation Committee Monday advanced a proposal to increase fines for drivers who fail to stay right except to pass — from $50 to $200 now, to $100 to $300, with $50 to go toward signs reminding motorists entering New Jersey about the stay right law.
Own up. In a hurry to get to work or a meeting, you’ve encountered a slowpoke hogging the left lane on I-80 or the Turnpike and secretly wished you had one of those monster trucks with 66-inch tires so you could roll over his sedan.
Maybe you’ve even passed him on the right and displayed a hand signal letting him know you think he’s number one.
Drivers who hate it when fellow travelers clog the left lane, take heart. The New Jersey Senate Transportation Committee Monday advanced a proposal to increase fines for drivers who fail to stay right except to pass — from $50 to $200 now, to $100 to $300, with $50 to go toward signs reminding motorists entering New Jersey about the stay right law.
"Having conversations with law enforcement, they refer to this as one of the triggers for road rage," state Sen. Donald Norcross (D-Camden), the bill sponsor, said of left-lane campers.
He got to experience express lane obstructions first-hand on his way to Trenton Monday, saying, "Certainly, driving here today just reminds me why this is a good bill."
"It tends to be more the out-of-state drivers, who are not aware of our stay right law," Norcross said. "So what we want to do here is raise awareness and make the roads a little safer."
Almost all states require slower traffic to stay right, but New Jersey is one of the stricter states when it comes to keeping the left lane open except to pass. Other states have variations. In neighboring Pennsylvania, for example, motorists traveling at a speed greater than the traffic flow can stay in the left lane.
New Jersey Senate Bill No. 530 passed the committee 3-1, with Norcross and state Sens. Nicholas J. Sacco (D-Hudson) and Robert M. Gordon (D-Bergen) voting to release it and state Sen. Joseph Pennacchio (R-Morris) opposing.
Pennacchio agrees in theory with keeping the traffic flowing, but said increasing fines in a state where fees are already high can be seen as "draconian."
He said that last week, there was the "move over" measure, where drivers were required to move over one lane or slow down when approaching stopped emergency or highway safety vehicles that flashed their warning lights.
http://media.nj.com/ledgerupdates_impact/photo/10618794-small.jpg
"We had the move over law last week that said you’ve got to move from the right to the left. Now we get the move-from-the-left-to-the-right law," Pennacchio said. "Eventually, we’re going to run out of lanes."
There were 5,127 tickets written for violations of the stay right law in the last calendar year, according to the state judiciary. It is a 2-point violation for New Jersey drivers.
Norcross said that in talking with State Police, drivers usually aren’t cited for failure to stay right unless they camp out in the lane for three miles.
"Some of them won’t get out of the left-hand lane until the lights of the state trooper cars" are flashing, he said. "They are completely oblivious."
Norcross, who encounters left-lane slowpokes during his frequent trips on the Atlantic City Expressway, is hopeful the increased fines and new signs will be approved by the full House by the end of the year.
Steve Carrellas, New Jersey representative of the National Motorists Association driving rights group, said the association supports efforts by Norcross to foster smooth, safe and efficient flow of traffic on multi-lane highways.
The association every year designates June as "lane courtesy month," and Carrellas said the clogging of the left lane is always a "hot button" for the general motoring public.
"We and all motorists who find poor lane courtesy a detraction from safe and pleasurable driving support the senator in his efforts to improve lane courtesy on New Jersey’s highways," he said.

S.J.SLEEPER
03-01-2012, 06:38 PM
They just need to enforce it now..

qwikz28
03-01-2012, 09:56 PM

Which is the issue. The fines are useless if there is no enforcement.

BonzoHansen
03-01-2012, 10:07 PM
I suspect if fines go up so will tickets, since they seem to be making LEO's revenue agents.

LTb1ow
03-02-2012, 07:24 AM
How the hell would you enforce this though...

Driving the speed limit at 65mph and getting pulled over for doing the speed limit? For you to be holding up traffic and have grounds to be pulled over, the cop would have to turn a blind eye to the rest of the cars doing 75mph+ past you.... Makes no sense.

PolarBear
03-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Now I would just like to see this enforced, even once.

Driving the speed limit at 65mph and getting pulled over for doing the speed limit?

The point is there is NO REASON to travel in the left lane really. I see it day in and day out where some a hole is just over there for no reason at all. multiple lanes can be free, but there is some jackwagon in the left lane cruising along.

Keep right EXCEPT to pass. I think this is why the article mentions 3 miles, that way there is a point of reference for the LEO to justify the fine.

BonzoHansen
03-02-2012, 10:01 AM
According to that article "There were 5,127 tickets written for violations of the stay right law in the last calendar year,"

LTb1ow
03-02-2012, 10:49 AM
I understand that, and without the 3 mile note, it makes no sense and would be un enforcable short of LEO actually enforcing the posted speed limit.

WildBillyT
03-02-2012, 10:53 AM

Driving the speed limit at 65mph and getting pulled over for doing the speed limit? For you to be holding up traffic and have grounds to be pulled over, the cop would have to turn a blind eye to the rest of the cars doing 75mph+ past you.... Makes no sense.

People do under the limit in the left lane all the time. Those are the ones who should get the tickets.

Yes, we hate the ahole doing 65 in a 65 in the left lane on 195 but he or she is not breaking the law.

BonzoHansen
03-02-2012, 11:07 AM
People do under the limit in the left lane all the time. Those are the ones who should get the tickets.

Yes, we hate the ahole doing 65 in a 65 in the left lane on 195 but he or she is not breaking the law.

If there is no reason he is not in the right lane, he is.

WildBillyT
03-02-2012, 11:20 AM
If there is no reason he is not in the right lane, he is.

Let me rephrase that. If he is doing 65 in a 65 and passing slower cars on the right he is not breaking the law. If he is doing 65 in a 65 and not passing then that is not right.

LTb1ow
03-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Let me rephrase that. If he is doing 65 in a 65 and passing slower cars on the right he is not breaking the law. If he is doing 65 in a 65 and not passing then that is not right.

But why not... how could he legally be passing someone going 65 in a 65 zone? Assuming that someone else is going faster than him next to or behind him.

It almost seems as if you are catering to the people who have no regard for personal safety, the well being of others, and a general lack of inteligence... speeders. (if you can't read the tongue in check there, god help you)

I am only playing devils advocate here cause its a joke that the speed limit is not enforced and now they wanna throw this in.

WildBillyT
03-02-2012, 12:13 PM
But why not... how could he legally be passing someone going 65 in a 65 zone? Assuming that someone else is going faster than him next to or behind him.

It almost seems as if you are catering to the people who have no regard for personal safety, the well being of others, and a general lack of inteligence... speeders. (if you can't read the tongue in check there, god help you)

I am only playing devils advocate here cause its a joke that the speed limit is not enforced and now they wanna throw this in.

Kinda what I was getting at too.

The guy going 65 in a 65 passing in the left lane would be passing somebody doing sub 65 in a 65 lane. Which seems like it might be a rare occurance these days.

Anti_Rice_Guy
03-02-2012, 12:48 PM
The guy going 65 in a 65 passing in the left lane would be passing somebody doing sub 65 in a 65 lane. Which seems like it might be a rare occurance these days.

There are some days on Rt. 80 where I can be doing 65 in the left lane and passing people like they were standing still.

WiMiMc
03-02-2012, 01:37 PM
There are some days on Rt. 80 where I can be doing 65 in the left lane and passing people like they were standing still.

I've done this, as well as 287. Even me doing 55 on 22. I double check my speedometer to make sure i wasn't seeing wrong.

NJ346
03-02-2012, 06:46 PM
I saw today on the Parkway they had a few of the overpass signs advertising keep left.

Tru2Chevy
03-03-2012, 06:20 PM
I just hate people who think they belong in the left lane for no apparent reason. I work from 4:00pm to midnight, and take Rt 1 and I-95 on my way home from work.....as you can imagine there is very little traffic on either of those highways between midnight and 12:30am when I am driving home, but I would say it's a pretty rare night when I don't see someone enter one of those highways in front of me and immediately dart all the way over to the left lane and stay there.

- Justin

z28camaro94
03-27-2012, 07:08 AM

Adreed completely. but if i can add my .02, I'd rather get pulled over for doing 65 in a 65 and holding up traffic( delaying traffic ticket, $54 and no points) vs. anywhere from $100 to $300 and 2 points.

greenformula92
03-27-2012, 07:53 AM
really think about the 3 mile rule for a second. The officer would have to observe doing this for 3 miles in order to issue a ticket, now chances are he will wind up pulling you over for say speeding. but now he will just watch you for 3 miles so he can throw that in too. and lets not forget fines are double on the highways

PolarBear
03-27-2012, 08:37 AM
Adreed completely. but if i can add my .02, I'd rather get pulled over for doing 65 in a 65 and holding up traffic( delaying traffic ticket, $54 and no points) vs. anywhere from $100 to $300 and 2 points.

These tickets ARE a moving violation, 2 points.... always has been too. It isnt a delaying traffic ticket, it is failure to keep right.

fmybody
03-27-2012, 07:11 PM
These tickets ARE a moving violation, 2 points.... always has been too. It isnt a delaying traffic ticket, it is failure to keep right.

got pulled over for this in plainsboro one night on my way to rowan. 11:30 PM nobody on the road and i was cruising in the left lane. When I saw the cop pull out behind me I checked my speed (was fine) so i pulled into the middle lane, as soon as I did he lit me up.

I think it was more of a way to see if I was ... suspicious or anything.. kind of an excuse to pull me over. He let me go no prob after I told him I had just left work and was heading to Rowan.

captain stalin`
03-27-2012, 11:03 PM
one word: autobahn. all of your arguments against enforcing stay right legislation are now invalid.

2011ss/rs
03-28-2012, 04:38 AM
They can increase the fine to $1000.00 but if the law is not enforced the left lane hangers will never understand "move over and let the rest of us go by ".
Would you expect anything else from the lawmakers in NJ? The people making the laws such as stop for the pedestrian in the crosswalk? I have been driving since I was 16 and this one was a rule when I received my license, my all time favorite is the "yield to the bus" created for NJ Transit when they are on the shoulder of the road picking up a passenger and a ready to pull out into moving traffic you are expected to come to a stop and let the bus onto the road ? I wonder how much the fine would be if you do not let the bus out or if you hit the bus while the driver pulled out in front of you.

If you don't know about the yield to the bus law take a look at the left back side of the NJT bus it will have the sign on it.

WildBillyT
03-28-2012, 08:53 AM
one word: autobahn. all of your arguments against enforcing stay right legislation are now invalid.

Yup. Germans automatically stay right and look at how their system works.

They can increase the fine to $1000.00 but if the law is not enforced the left lane hangers will never understand "move over and let the rest of us go by ".
Would you expect anything else from the lawmakers in NJ? The people making the laws such as stop for the pedestrian in the crosswalk? I have been driving since I was 16 and this one was a rule when I received my license, my all time favorite is the "yield to the bus" created for NJ Transit when they are on the shoulder of the road picking up a passenger and a ready to pull out into moving traffic you are expected to come to a stop and let the bus onto the road ? I wonder how much the fine would be if you do not let the bus out or if you hit the bus while the driver pulled out in front of you.

If you don't know about the yield to the bus law take a look at the left back side of the NJT bus it will have the sign on it.

The bus thing is good for School buses. They don't need some ******* running down an 8 year old because he's frustrated and late for work.

2011ss/rs
03-28-2012, 09:13 PM
The bus thing is good for School buses. They don't need some ******* running down an 8 year old because he's frustrated and late for work.

I never mentioned a school bus which I think should be a 2000.00 fine and a loss of your DL for a year violating the flashing lights on the stopped bus. New Jersey Transit buses should not be allowed to pull away from the shoulder and pull out in front of another moving vehicle.

greenformula92
03-28-2012, 09:39 PM
I never mentioned a school bus which I think should be a 2000.00 fine and a loss of your DL for a year violating the flashing lights on the stopped bus. New Jersey Transit buses should not be allowed to pull away from the shoulder and pull out in front of another moving vehicle.

but if you look at NJ Transit busses they have a yield sign on them. so in theory it is a moving yield sign

2011ss/rs
03-29-2012, 04:34 AM
but if you look at NJ Transit busses they have a yield sign on them. so in theory it is a moving yield sign

If you are in your car on the enterance ramp to the interstate you must yield or stop for the flow of moving traffic, moving traffic does not yield or stop to let you on the roadway.

Here is the law our state put into effect in 2004.

Home*>*NJ TRANSIT News*>*News Releases

NEW LAW TO REQUIRE MOTORISTS TO YIELD

Law Supports Safer Roadways
NEWARK, NJ, JULY 27, 2004 – New Jersey roadways will become a safer place on August 1, the date a new State law goes into effect requiring motorists to yield the right-of-way to buses re-entering traffic after picking up or discharging passengers.

The new law, which was sponsored by Assemblywoman Linda Stender, Assemblyman John S. Wisniewski, and Assemblyman Jack Connors, will require drivers of non-emergency vehicles approaching a NJ TRANSIT or private carrier bus to allow the bus back into the flow of traffic once the passenger stop is completed. New Jersey is one of the first states to pass this type of legislation. Similar laws have been passed in three other states: Florida, Washington and Oregon.

"One of the primary tasks Governor McGreevey assigned to us when he came into office was to improve safety throughout New Jersey's transportation system," said NJ TRANSIT Chairman and Transportation Commissioner Jack Lettiere. "The Governor's 'Safety-First' initiative has been a tremendous success, and this legislation is another step toward his goal of improving safety in all facets of transportation."

"Each year the number of commuters in New Jersey continues to grow, worsening congestion on our roadways,” Assemblywoman Stender said. “This bill will further our efforts to make mass transportation safer, more efficient and attractive to New Jersey residents."

"This new law is designed to increase the safety of our roadways and the efficiency of our mass transit," said Assemblyman Wisniewski. "By helping buses merge safely back into traffic after pulling into a bus stop, we can keep traffic moving while making the roads safer.

“The request for this legislation was brought to us by our members and we’d like to thank Assemblywoman Stender, Assemblyman Wisniewski and Assemblyman Jack Connors,” said Dan O’Connell, New Jersey State Legislative Director of the United Transportation Union. “New Jersey has some of the most congested highways in the nation. Our hope is this new law will make the workday for our members a little easier.”

“This is a great piece of legislation that not only provides good service for people who use public transportation but keeps our roads safe,” said Vito Forlenza, Chairman of the Amalgamated Transit Unions. “I commend the legislators involved in putting together this new law.”

More than 400,000 NJ TRANSIT customers travel by bus on an average weekday. The law applies to buses that are re-entering a traffic lane after a stop. Once a motorist has yielded to a bus and both vehicles are traveling along the roadway, a motorist does not have to yield further if a bus signals to change lanes. Violations carry a fine between $50 and $200, and a jail term of up to 15 days.

“This is a basic safety issue that we hope will reduce accidents,” said NJ TRANSIT Executive Director George Warrington. “We want to educate our customers about this new initiative and how it affects them not only as passengers, but also as motorists.”

Over the next several months, NJ TRANSIT will raise awareness of the new law by placing posters inside terminals, outside and inside buses, and mailing customers information with their monthly passes.

NJ TRANSIT is the nation's largest statewide public transportation system providing more than 752,600 daily trips on 240 bus routes, three light rail lines and 11 commuter rail lines. It is the third largest transit system in the country with 162 rail stations, 49 light rail stations and more than 17,000 bus stops linking major points in New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia.

PolarBear
03-29-2012, 10:23 AM
If you are in your car on the enterance ramp to the interstate you must yield or stop for the flow of moving traffic, moving traffic does not yield or stop to let you on the roadway.

Yeah I know someone who thinks the opposite, its frustrating when people dont even know the law for the roads that they use every day. Thats mostly why "keep right except to pass" people piss me off

NJSPEEDER
03-30-2012, 09:19 PM

This was my first thought. I am sure someone somewhere is patting themselves on the back for raising the fine and taking things "seriously" but I want to hear the stats on how many of these tickets are actually handed out.

Is this an actual attempt to get people to drive safely or just a way to preemptively scare people out of the cop lane so they can save gas by not breaking the cruise control and having to re-accelerate to 80mph?

PolarBear
03-30-2012, 09:27 PM
but I want to hear the stats on how many of these tickets are actually handed out.

Really? It says right in the article.....

NJSPEEDER
03-30-2012, 09:56 PM
I mean at the new fines

L695speed
03-31-2012, 04:50 PM
I drove out west on the 2 lane interstates for a few years while in college, I automatically stay right except to pass in most cases. Here with the multi lane arrangements I treat the middle lane or the one next to the left lane as the right lane and pass on the left when I need to. I cruise at 74 or so most of the time. But even then I get passed by people doing 80-90 or more. Seems with the two lane arrangements, and people actually obeying the keep right law, make cruising the interstates more pleasant. The thing that pisses me off is the people who fly by at 90+ then don't maintain the speed going up hill. I usually wind up passing people who blew my doors off on longer hill climbs, or any hill climbs for that matter doing my cruise speed because they can't maintain speed. In that case I wind up sitting in the left lane to pass everyone til the hill is over.

Seems as if the running joke here is, on I-80 the limit is 80, on the parkway its 110, on 24 its 75, and on the turnpike its 95, so on. And that is just to keep up with traffic. Its impossible to do the limit on 287 in the 55 MPH zones without getting run over. And that is not sitting in the left lane. I do wish they enforced the move over or slow down for emergency vehicles more often, as with the keep right cept to pass.

As much as I would love to see the Autobahn system occur here in the US, it will never happen because we're cheap bastards. No one here will go with paying the necessary up front costs to design an autobahn system. Even to convert our interstate system would cost billions, if not more, and no one will go with the costs. Not to mention the driver training system would need to be completely overhauled.

WildBillyT
03-31-2012, 08:52 PM
As much as I would love to see the Autobahn system occur here in the US, it will never happen because we're cheap bastards. No one here will go with paying the necessary up front costs to design an autobahn system. Even to convert our interstate system would cost billions, if not more, and no one will go with the costs. Not to mention the driver training system would need to be completely overhauled.

QFT.

We can barely keep our ****** roads paved, let alone redone with 15' of gravel or whatever.

8hnpSS
03-31-2012, 10:08 PM
nothing is more annoying then rolling up on someone doing 50 in the fast lane. it happens to me all the time and usually ends with me flying by them with the horn on full. maybe thats why the horn in my yukon is weak now? lmao i would get half my body out of the window and cheer the first cop i see ticketing someone doing this :mrgreen:

creeper
04-07-2012, 02:26 AM
this thread reminds me of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2pnPx8_9r8

shadowfire
04-07-2012, 03:42 AM
This was my first thought. I am sure someone somewhere is patting themselves on the back for raising the fine and taking things "seriously" but I want to hear the stats on how many of these tickets are actually handed out.

Is this an actual attempt to get people to drive safely or just a way to preemptively scare people out of the cop lane so they can save gas by not breaking the cruise control and having to re-accelerate to 80mph?

both .. plus a way for them to make money for the gas they are trying to save :lol:

L695speed
04-07-2012, 07:39 AM
this thread reminds me of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2pnPx8_9r8

Seen this before. I bet now that person would have been hit with the fine as opposed to the cop playing sheepdog. Seeing that its on a hill I may also bet that this was another case of some moron flying by people at 100 then doing 45 up the hill.......

98tadriver
04-30-2012, 08:45 PM

i agree. I absolutely HATE when people do that *****! They must think its cute or funny to hold up traffic. Sometimes, I wish I could just ram them off of the road :evil: