PDA

View Full Version : glyptal 1201

redsoxsstink
03-04-2012, 08:15 PM
me and my dad are rebuilding a original 454 ls6 for his 68. my dad is toying around the idea of using glyptal 1201 to paint the inside of the engine to help prevent rust on the inside of the motor since it will be sitting for long periods of time. i know this is pretty old school tech and really isnt very popular at all anymore. if anyone has used this stuff or knows anyone that has nows a good time to chime in.

WildBillyT
03-04-2012, 08:18 PM
I remember it being used in lifter valleys, head surfaces, and timing areas for oil drainback, not for rust prevention.

What were you planning on painting with it? And why aren't you going to run it for long periods of time? Are you talking years?

redsoxsstink
03-04-2012, 08:21 PM
I remember it being used in lifter valleys, head surfaces, and timing areas for oil drainback, not for rust prevention.

What were you planning on painting with it?

that is the main benefit for using it. but since the engine will sitting alot the enamel will seal it and prevent rusting which is always a good thing.

this car will most likely be handed down to me so i kinda want the engine to last. but ive read some things abt the enamel chipping over time and gunking up the bearings and blahblahblah

the painting will be done with a brush, not aerosol can

WildBillyT
03-04-2012, 08:35 PM
that is the main benefit for using it. but since the engine will sitting alot the enamel will seal it and prevent rusting which is always a good thing.

this car will most likely be handed down to me so i kinda want the engine to last. but ive read some things abt the enamel chipping over time and gunking up the bearings and blahblahblah

the painting will be done with a brush, not aerosol can

If it rusts on the inside you are storing it wrong, IMO. It's not original so why not run it to cycle the fluids, remove moisture, give the valve springs a break, etc?

Gonna put in DOT5 brake fluid too?

BonzoHansen
03-04-2012, 08:39 PM
i think it matters not. don't worry about it. if your lifter valley rusts you have bigger issues.

redsoxsstink
03-04-2012, 08:41 PM
If it rusts on the inside you are storing it wrong, IMO. It's not original so why not run it to cycle the fluids, remove moisture, give the valve springs a break, etc?

Gonna put in DOT5 brake fluid too?

the block is original :bertstare:

my dad threw the question out there. if it was up to me id be driving it and starting it up all the time but it isnt my car yet

WildBillyT
03-04-2012, 08:42 PM
the block is original :bertstare:

my dad threw the question out there. if it was up to me id be driving it and starting it up all the time but it isnt my car yet

Wait.

Original to what? That ain't the original engine to a '68 anything. If all you have is an LS-6 block, sell it to a Chevelle guy and use the $$$ to build another engine.

redsoxsstink
03-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Wait.

Original to what? That ain't the original engine to a '68 anything. If all you have is an LS-6 block, sell it to a Chevelle guy and use the $$$ to build another engine.

well yes original to a chevelle, but going in a 68 camaro. the block was free just needed to be rebuilt