PDA

View Full Version : my new project 91 z28 hardtop

ted gerlach
05-13-2012, 08:51 PM
i always wanted a blue hardtop 91-92 camaro or trans am and i found this one so i jumped on it since it was in my price range,
its a 305 tpi auto,
work to due,
sending unit bad gas tank was cut to get it out to due the fuel pump so i am going to replace the sending unit, gas tank and fuel pump, rear is out replacing with a posi 277 disc 9 bolt, [ i know crappy gears but its a parkway car] also doing all spohn upgrades lower control arms and pan hard bar, also doing the sway bars front and rear, tokico shock and struts, spohn upper strut mounts, 1LE front brake swap, borla cat back, new fuel injectors, custom valve covers, slp runners [ polished ] modded plenum [ also polished ] modded stock tb, edelbrock water pump, goodyear high milage hoses, might due the rad not sure yet, most of these parts i have had for years just sitting in the garage, time to put them to good use,
also doing a compete interior swap to black, have it all just hanging arround with some custom touches even got a set of custom rims to go on the car,
its under the knife now up on jack stands, rear out, shocks and sway bar out, front struts and strut mounts out, decided to due the lower balljoints since i am in there anyway,
this week i plan on getting the gastank out and the new tank up and in and the rear back under the car, with the exhaust up but not welded in
got pics but not able to post,

ZeroCool8891
05-13-2012, 09:04 PM
oh boy, ill be rooting for ya teddy, if need be make that thing rollorable and bring it up north and ill have it running.

chrisfrom nj
05-13-2012, 09:21 PM
ted bring it up to the jew and he will finish it for you

greenformula92
05-13-2012, 10:58 PM
ted email me the pics. I'll host them

ted bring it up to the jew and he will finish it for you

Yeah but then he will have to buy it lol

ted gerlach
05-14-2012, 05:19 AM
thanks dave i know you can get it done in 2 days but i started this mess i am going to finnish it all i needs is a couple parts and about 1 week as long as there is no rain i should be able to get it drivable,
i will send some pics your way mike

greenformula92
05-16-2012, 08:37 AM
wheres the pics ted?

Kat
05-16-2012, 02:52 PM
Pics or you didn't do it!

ted gerlach
05-26-2012, 09:11 PM
got some work done over the last couple days complete moog steering set up in, spohn adjustustment sleeves, tds wonder bar, need to put the new spohn sway bar in the front and swap out the old one, that will complete the front end just need to align it

well theres good news and bad news

bad news car fell and did some damage to the underside bent driveshaft smashed torque arm into floor board, but as it fell it landed on the only cinderblack i have bending the bottom of the driver fender, crushing in the rocker, as well as rear ground effect it landed on the rear that was out of the car,

good news wife pulled me away before it fell on me and my daughter

more good news car has all new lines under it, gas tank with all new guts, sending unit , fuel pump, strainer and the pusater valve, borla cat back, spohn lower control arms, and a big thanks to greenformula92 with the modivation and help in moving it along,

tomorrow, rear in, rear shocks in, gas in gas tank, spohn trans mount and torque arm set up in, spohn rear sway bar, might need to get a trans mount not sure if the old one made it or not, before i have the exhaust welded up going to get the subframes welded in first at thebodyshop also going to have them fix the floor and pull the rocker back out, also going to remove the rest of the interior, carpet, center console, rear seats and plastics, hope to have up and running all drivable with in the next week or so,

i have 2 different sets of wheels and i can t make my mind up on them,

greenformula92
05-27-2012, 08:23 AM
to make matters worse on the wheels they are both make the car look absolutely amazing.

I was over there yesterday and we got alot done in a small amount of time, we only got to spend about 3 hours on the car so today once I head back over we can get the car on the ground and then I WILL take the pics since someone hasn't sent them to me yet haha

ZeroCool8891
05-27-2012, 10:41 AM
done yet.

omarcamaro
05-27-2012, 10:47 AM
pics ?

ted gerlach
05-27-2012, 08:26 PM
mike took some today so they will be up soon,
got the rear in, forgot about the heat shields, put them back in, shocks in, old rear sway bar off new one out and under car ready to go in tomorrow, driveshaft in, spohn torque arm in, need to adjust the adjustible pan hard bar, need to bring the rear 1/2 inch to the left, have 10 inch wide rims on the back want to center them,

still need to but a poly trans mount, as well as the new pads and rotors, also going to get all new flexable brake lines, and new lines for the rear axle,

get that stuff done, send car out to get aligned, then we will go to the bodyshop for the minor opps work and both set of subframes in, then bring over to the muffler shop to weld up the exhaust all i need is a seat and seatbelts to drive it,

next thing to tackle is under the hood goodies, still need to find a set of headers would like to due before i go to have the exhaust welded,

greenformula92
05-28-2012, 09:42 AM
Finally got the pics uploaded, sorry for delay

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu269/hoofin86/Teds%2092%20Z28/IMG_8094.jpg
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu269/hoofin86/Teds%2092%20Z28/IMG_8096.jpg
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu269/hoofin86/Teds%2092%20Z28/IMG_8095.jpg
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu269/hoofin86/Teds%2092%20Z28/IMG_8100.jpg
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu269/hoofin86/Teds%2092%20Z28/IMG_8098.jpg
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu269/hoofin86/Teds%2092%20Z28/IMG_8099.jpg
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu269/hoofin86/Teds%2092%20Z28/IMG_8097.jpg
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu269/hoofin86/Teds%2092%20Z28/IMG_8102.jpg
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu269/hoofin86/Teds%2092%20Z28/IMG_8101.jpg

ZeroCool8891
05-28-2012, 09:48 AM
ahhhh man thats some hottness rite there.

92REDBIRD
05-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Lookin good!

maroman88
05-28-2012, 12:34 PM
dammm nice rims

1320B4U
05-28-2012, 07:27 PM
I still say you should sell me those rims ted.

Fast92RS
05-28-2012, 07:52 PM
sweet

88WS-6
05-29-2012, 05:57 AM
I love the color, nice car. Is that a 4th gen rear because those back tires stick out a lot...

greenformula92
05-29-2012, 07:28 AM
I love the color, nice car. Is that a 4th gen rear because those back tires stick out a lot...

It has a adjustable panhard rod that hasnt been adjusted yet. It needs to go about a 1/2 inch - 1 inch to the drivers side

chrisfrom nj
05-29-2012, 08:11 AM
the car looks great ted

Paul Huryk
05-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Looking good!

BonzoHansen
05-29-2012, 01:30 PM
Nice. I recognize Ted's house of f-bodies lol

ted gerlach
05-29-2012, 04:28 PM
thanks guys, its been a long time comming
had most of the parts and the wheels long before i found the car
traded parts i did not need for some parts i wanted as well
as far as the wheels go need a magic # in order to sell them,

just ordered, stainless rear axle brake lines, cross drilled and slotted rotors, and brake pads, stainless braided brake hoses,

thinking about custom dyno don headers with 3 inch y-pipe, but not going to use the borla cat back i have going to do something different

donnj
05-30-2012, 06:40 PM
GO MAN GO !!!!!!!!!!

ted gerlach
06-02-2012, 08:41 PM
well the only parts to come were the stainless braided brake hoses, and i had to remove the tds wonder bar the spohn sway bar hit it so i dug out the spohn bar form the garage and installed it,

got the stainles rear axle metal lines yesterday, just waiting for the pads and rotors,

still deciding on what to due wiht the exhaust, as well as under hood goodies,

ted gerlach
06-08-2012, 08:08 PM
well i got the rotors but they forgot to ship the pads
also ordered, a spohn adjustable panhard bar and drop bar for the panhard bar from umi

IROCZman15
06-16-2012, 01:00 PM
sounds like it is coming along nice. good work

those wheels look just like a set i was going to buy for my car. real nice look to them on a 3rd gen

NHRABill
06-16-2012, 09:17 PM
keeping an eye on this build love to see 3rd Gens being ressurected.

ted gerlach
06-28-2012, 05:19 AM
its alive again, runs moves and now stops, couple thing to button up, minor stuff, fix driver side air tube, due a tune up cap, rotor, wires and plugs, change trans and engine oils and filters, needs rad cap, install the serp belt,
heres what i need to do to finally get it on the road,
1, get the sub frames welded in,
2, double check and tighten all bolts,
3, get exhaust welded
4, put interior back in, remove rest of gray and install all of the black,
5, get alignment done
6, put new front (painted) spoiler on

start to injoy the car, and drive it to work
should be able to pull in off in the next 2 to 3 weeks,

greenformula92
06-28-2012, 07:26 AM
good to see it coming along

ted gerlach
07-12-2012, 09:24 PM
as of today on trailer to be delivered to the bodyshop to have my misake fixed as well as new subframe connectors welded in, both styles,

ted gerlach
08-08-2012, 04:48 AM
update,
both style subframe connectors welded in, my opps fixed, going to pick car up today from the bodyshop after work, now its time to get to work,
need to make sure all bolts and rear is centered, install rear pads and rotors, parking brake cables, front pads and rotors, trans mount ,, picked up a poly one, figure out what exhaust i am going to use, replace y-pipe and left side exhaust manifold, make sure the fuel and brake lines are completly bolted down, i have new injectors but going to hold off on that for now, get an alighment. so i figure about 1 to 2 weeks should be able to put on road and drive it, maybe sooner,

ted gerlach
01-06-2013, 05:20 AM
now that i have done what i could due with the house since sandy its time to get back to work on this, i have gotten out more parts, decided to swap out the shocks and struts to bilstein's got some chrome c5 z06 wheels 17 front and 18 rear, also picked up a set of spohn adjustible front lower control arms, going to use the slp headers that got wet from the flood waters and sell the edelbrocks i have also going to install the muflex cat back, but first i need to scrap the shell of an impala ss and finish cutting up the 92 v-6 firebird that did not make it,

IROCZman15
01-08-2013, 11:26 PM
if you are swapping o some different rims....what are you planning to do with the older ones (the ones in the pics on page 1) or are they somehow trashed from the hurricaine?

ted gerlach
01-11-2013, 04:57 AM
this camaro and the 24 foot inclosed trailer were at the storage spots i rent. the wheels were in the back of the trailer, along with other parts

ted gerlach
06-05-2013, 04:58 AM
well its been a long road but car is on hold sandy did way more than i ever could have expected, i have not touched the car since the flood got parts out then they came to due the front steps and found a whole lot of termite and carpenter ant damage it took me almost 2 months to fix all the damage that was found but now house is solid as a rock and this week the insulation has been installed, 70 sheets of sheet rock in garage and Thursday is the day for installation,
now back to car, lost more than i thought to flood water so as soon as i get alittle bit of time i am going to bring car home clean it out and take a good look at it see what what i still need to get and try to finish//or just get on road for the summer
i know i will need carpet and door panels they did not make it,

B4C
06-05-2013, 01:15 PM
I have some black door panels if you need em.

ted gerlach
06-05-2013, 05:43 PM
e-mail sent

ted gerlach
06-10-2013, 05:29 AM
got the hood i always wanted. back to collecting parts, want to at least have it drivable in the next month, i have 2 really close friends that are pushing me to located parts i need and not to sell it,

ted gerlach
06-26-2013, 04:46 AM
found the correct door panels, now its time to get the car drivable again, put fresh gas in and new battery she fired rite up, now off to daves to us the shop with lift and get headers and exhaust on, finish up some small stuff, get it to alignment shop and decide on what wheels will be on car,

Paul Huryk
06-27-2013, 10:18 AM
Ted,

You can always call us at CTW Motorsports for a set of wheels...

ted gerlach
06-30-2013, 06:48 AM
i have 2 sets of wheels i like,,, chrome Z06 and the bonspeeds, just not sure what wheels i should put on it,, think it might get the Z06 wheels today

ted gerlach
07-08-2013, 06:32 AM
Z06 wheels are on and look awesome, so they are staying for now.... car has been transported to a shop to have the edelberock headers installed as well as the borla cat back, need to get a radiator its leaking [ since i got the car ] going to due griffin or be-cool not sure witch one yet, also going to have slp runners and plenum i have set out and powder coated crome like should look nice with the black vette valve covers, even if its only a 305,

ted gerlach
03-03-2014, 04:59 AM
just an update,
thanks to dave's help. he got the headers on y-pipe in, roller rockers on , gm performance valve covers on, a set of bilstin shocks and struts in , ac delco plugs, taylor wires msd cap rotor and coil all on and done, just needs to put borla under it, then its off to exhaust shot to due the custom work i want done.
car runs pretty well for a 305 just for ha ha's i might throw the set of slp runners and ported plenum on,
still need to do front and rear rotors and pads, install griffen rad and blue goodyear hoses i have for the car, just need to order a edelbrock water pump and possibly a heater core to just do the complete coolant system over,
this is the plans i have
after dave's hopefully in the next 2 weeks depending on weather maybe more, off to exhaust shop, then to my work for and alignment, then straight to bodyshop for some work to be done, cant afford to get car painted but i can get the parts edged in and put on for now, this is what has to be done at bodyshop
i have a brand new gm lower front spoiler and bumper cover for it as well as an ss style hood now, rt fender has bondo in it i have a clan used one i am going to put on,
plans call for a complete paint job will try and work something out at bodyshop. hope to work there on the car on my day off during the summer so its going to look like hell for a bit, done car at least it will be getting done,

89 Iroc-Z28
03-10-2014, 01:05 AM
ted glad to see that the car is coming along, and glad to see it almost done to where you want it to be

ted gerlach
05-02-2014, 04:29 AM
car is home, worked on it a little bit, also my good friend mike helped out on it, new rad in, all good year hoses on it, got all new fan mounting bolts and shims, just need to make adapter for top of rad support to upper fan mount, mount fans, put custom wheels back on, fix a stripped out rear wheel stud, mount a single seat, then off to get exhaust welded and alignment done, thinking i might be able to have it ready to go on tuesday,

ted gerlach
05-23-2014, 04:58 AM
update, still need to play with the mounting of the fans, but my ss style hood, nos front bumper cover , nos front chin spoiler and clean used fender all at bodyshop to be painted blue, hope to have for the weekend but f not i will just keep working on the other 2 projects,