PDA

View Full Version : Possible Road Course Event

NJSPEEDER
10-20-2012, 05:20 PM
I know this idea has been floated around a few times before, but I wanted to get a feel of who would be interested in doing a track day. Experience is not a requirement, it will just be a fun event.

The concept would be to mirror off of the Run to the Shore that is apparently not going to happen in 2013. The biggest change being that it's not likely to be held at NJMP, more like someplace in NY or a similar distance.

Going to try to attract primarily American Muscle but no one will be kept away. The weekend would consist of a dinner, cruising some back roads, maybe an autocross, and track time.

So who would have any interest in participating or spectating at such an event?

-Tim

WayFast84
10-20-2012, 06:19 PM
I'M DOWN.

Mike
10-20-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm excluded

LTb1ow
10-20-2012, 08:36 PM
I'm excluded as well.

MyFirstZ
10-20-2012, 08:47 PM
Not sure what njmp is but sounds like you are talking about a track day at a place like monticello pr limerock right ? If so I'm interested all depends on a date.

rickyd13
10-21-2012, 04:11 PM
depending on where it is where i am at the time and what I'm driving I'm in

NJSPEEDER
10-21-2012, 06:22 PM
I will be sure to keep everyone here in the loop if we can get something going. Realistically the tracks that have reasonable prices and potential openings in their schedule for what we would like to do are all a few hours outside of NJ.

MyFirstZ, yes, we are talking getting out on a road course and hopefully some related automotive antics.

-Tim

PolarBear
10-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Most likely

MyFirstZ
10-21-2012, 09:48 PM
I'm in and I'm sure I can find a few others around my area not on the boards who would love to go.

L695speed
10-21-2012, 10:53 PM
I am down for such an event, if I can afford to go.

If road courses are the name of the game.... Montecello I believe would be out unless someone knows someone. Pocono would be an option, NJMP, Englishtown (probably doesn't count), There are a few others within reasonable driving range I'm sure. BeavRun and The Glen may be out. I'm probably among those here who is closer to the Glen from a distance perspective and it is still a 6 hour haul. Beav Run is out near Pittsburgh. Again 5 hour run. Lime Rock may be an option though.

But if someone sets something up I would be down for some action on the track. Assuming cars are running.

Jensend
10-22-2012, 08:20 PM
Assuming this is for sometime in 2013? If so, I'm interested in an event at a track that's a reasonable distance. E'town is too compressed and has virtually no safe areas for an "off" so I wouldn't want to go there. Pocono North course is nice for a group with varied experience levels. The Glen is usually heavily booked and is a minimum of 3.5 hours drive from central/south Jersey. About the same drive time to Summit Point, but they may have more open dates (on the original course). The short course is tight for larger run groups. Don't know about the new course. Hard to find affordable accomodations within a reasonable distance from Lime Rock, but the course in challenging.

NJSPEEDER
10-22-2012, 08:49 PM
We have been talking to a few different facilities and it looks like we won't have any trouble finding a date. E-town is about the only place I have no interest in taking people. The track is tight and in a lot of ways not very safe, the facilities are non-existent, and the track management is pretty much useless(learned this trying to work on drag/car show events with them)

We are looking into 2013 and there are some really strong possibilities on the horizon. I should be able to start getting things locked in a little and making announcements with in the next 2-3 weeks. So everyone stay tuned.

One thing I would ask, if anyone has any business contacts or suggestions for potential sponsors please shoot me a PM. Sponsor ideas don't just need to be automotive, I know in this economy a lot of companies are seeking slightly unconventional promotional outlets.

-Tim

Tru2Chevy
10-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Not sure what njmp is

http://www.njmp.com/ :)

- Justin

MyFirstZ
10-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Excellent! I got a few people interested

qwikz28
10-25-2012, 07:33 PM
My cousin and I are in. Let's do Poconos or Watkins Glen or something!

NJSPEEDER
10-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Glad to see so many want to attend. Keep spreading the word.

Some things are going to start shaking loose over the next week or two and I will be able to start posting real updates.

The goal for the event would be to run in a format similar to the Run to the Shore that some of us have attended. Autocross, open track, some cruising back roads, and some variant of the speed stop challenge. Believe me, with all of the seat time and advice available it is one hell of a bang for the buck.

-Tim

198esp1
10-25-2012, 11:53 PM
I would be interested, depends on alot of factors. keep the info comming.

88WS-6
10-26-2012, 08:47 AM
I'd be interested but I don't currently have an American muscle car. If that changes before this event I'd be in.

L695speed
10-26-2012, 11:53 AM
I'd be interested but I don't currently have an American muscle car. If that changes before this event I'd be in.

If I somehow get my 84 done before this... you're welcome to take your old ride to said event.

88WS-6
10-26-2012, 12:52 PM
If I somehow get my 84 done before this... you're welcome to take your old ride to said event.

Haha, we'll see. Thanks for the offer.

WSex
10-26-2012, 06:47 PM
id be down prefer to do limerock park over njmp anyday

JerseyZ28
11-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Hey whats up, new to the forum. I'm totally in on this! I've been wanting to put my car on a track for a while now. Keep the info coming on dates, events and costs.

NJSPEEDER
11-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Hoping to have some info next week. Things have been a little hectic for all involved as you can imagine.

In the mean time please keep telling your friends. This isn't going to be planned as an event just about this club or just inviting f-bodies. Everybody is welcome.

-Tim

198esp1
11-02-2012, 06:40 PM
is this going to happen soon or is it for next season, cause the camaro is going under the knife for major surgery soon

NJSPEEDER
11-03-2012, 04:02 PM
It's a next season thing.

WTF are you doing to the car now? lol

-Tim

2MCHPWR
11-10-2012, 06:39 AM
Have you thought of piggy-backing an existing clubs event? will save you tons on logistics. You just get their schedule (should be coming out in few weeks) and tell the guys here to sign up early for it. That way, you don't have to get involved with insurance, finding instructors, tech'ing in cars for safety, organizing the corner workers, ambulance, having different sessions for different skill levels, classroom debrief sessions, photos, etc. because all that already happens in regular events.

If that is something you'd like, PM me as I know the guys that own some of the clubs.

NJSPEEDER
11-11-2012, 08:26 PM
The group in question draws a bit too much of a crowd to blend in with anyone else and still get ample time for all intended antics.

On a good note though, the people who ran the previous event are back on the case and planning to announce something soon. I will make sure the word gets posted here so everyone can start planning. We are hoping mid summer so everyone will have plenty of time to get their cars ready

-Tim

Mike
11-13-2012, 12:02 PM
Timmmmmmmay what car will you haves?

unstable bob gable
11-13-2012, 03:47 PM
I'm in like Flynn!!!

NJSPEEDER
11-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Timmmmmmmay what car will you haves?

TBD. I have a few possibilities in the pipeline

-Tim

Mike
11-16-2012, 12:39 AM
TBD. I have a few possibilities in the pipeline

-Tim

Well if you don't even have a car then I guess I have to at least be a maybe :shifty:

JerseyZ28
03-17-2013, 07:13 PM
Any word on if this is happening?

L695speed
03-18-2013, 05:46 PM
^^^I'm wondering this myself..... If its late summer maybe I'll take the GTA down once I put it back on insurance.

BonzoHansen
03-18-2013, 05:56 PM
I suggest possible alternatives:

SCCA autocross: http://www.sjr-scca.org/solo.html

NASA dates at NJMSP

http://www.nasane.com/events.html

March 30 -- Lime Rock Park, CT – HPDE only
April 19 -21 -- NJMP Lightning Course
April 29 - 30 -- Watkins Glen, NY HPDE ONLY
May 17– 19 -- NJMP Lightning course
May 17– 19 -- NJMP Thunderbolt course
June 7 -- LimeRock Park CT HPDE Advanced Only
June 21 -23 -- NJMP Thunderbolt (tentative)
July 12 - 14 -- Pocono Long Courses
Aug. 2 – 4 -- NJMP Lightning Course
Aug. 23 -- Lime Rock Park, CT – HPDE only
Sept. 5 - 8 -- NASA Natl. Championships – Miller in Utah
Sept. 27 -29 -- Watkins Glen, NY
Oct. 25 - 27 -- NJMP Thunderbolt

Also , some guys are going up to NY state to the New York Safety Track course in Davenport New York (http://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?95073-Ok-no-RTTS-this-year-how-about-Run-To-The-Hall-2013!!&highlight=hall):

So I spoke to Greg and here's what he is offering us.
We will be allowed to join one of their "member day" events, basically it is an event the track runs and we are "signed up" to come play on Friday May 17th. His current thought is that we will be the only car group there (they are primarily a motorcycle track) and if we keep the cars to 20 or less there will only be 3 or 4 groups running 20 minute sessions from 9 to 5. OK the 2 things to remember is that a) it WILL be a Friday (first one will be May 17th) and b) we will share the day with the bikes ......
but the plus side is that a) we can go up again on any member day (they are planning to have one at least once a month) b) price will be in the region of only $200 per car (+ or - $10)
So I need a yes or no for May 17th, with room for 20 cars.
PM me if you are in and I will get your contact details and we can work out the details early next year.
Thanks
Nick

JerseyZ28
03-19-2013, 02:38 PM
I'll be trying to attend some autox events this summer either with my camaro (in the avatar) or a porsche 964 cab. are those nasa events just open track days? sorry, link isnt working for me.

it would be cool to get enough people together to have a mostly fbody track day, never seen that before.

198esp1
03-19-2013, 10:02 PM
I'll be trying to attend some autox events this summer either with my camaro (in the avatar) or a porsche 964 cab. are those nasa events just open track days? sorry, link isnt working for me.

it would be cool to get enough people together to have a mostly fbody track day, never seen that before.

if you live in north nj then you need to go to a nnjr scca solo up at the giant stadium. nnjr scca has the best courses in the best lot on the east coast. Good luck trying to get more than a hand full of f-bodys to go to an autocross. The typical f-body guy doesnt want to hear that a mini or miata with 120hp if well driven is going to smack the s**t out of a f-body with 300+hp, and lets face it most guys driving a f-body cant drive worth a crap. So after a day at an autocross eating humble pie all day most just go drag racing.

L695speed
03-20-2013, 01:23 PM
if you live in north nj then you need to go to a nnjr scca solo up at the giant stadium. nnjr scca has the best courses in the best lot on the east coast. Good luck trying to get more than a hand full of f-bodys to go to an autocross. The typical f-body guy doesnt want to hear that a mini or miata with 120hp if well driven is going to smack the s**t out of a f-body with 300+hp, and lets face it most guys driving a f-body cant drive worth a crap. So after a day at an autocross eating humble pie all day most just go drag racing.

That is true. Most forget that Autocross being very technical, is about skill, finesse, car control and handling. I have been meaning to get out to the Giants Stadium lot. Maybe I'll take the Focus ST out there once or twice just for the fun of it. Even my friend with the 82 admits his bird is too powerful for the autocross, but it can handle a road course no problem. I would be the first to admit that my 84 when done, even with the built suspension and bigger brakes, would not do well at autocross. It would be more at home on a road course. The Focus may actually out run both birds on the autocross course.

198esp1
03-20-2013, 03:07 PM
If the car is set up correctly you could use 600rwhp at an autocross if applied smartly. Autocross is about controlled aggresion,you have to find that balance.

JerseyZ28
03-20-2013, 11:21 PM

I've heard good things about the autox's in giants stadium. that's where i planned on running when i got back up north. Currently I'm in FL for school and might run an event before I head back. Yea its no secret most muscle car guys dont stray for the straight and narrow, but i always found it fun trying to get an fbody to take a corner. :rock:

98tadriver
03-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Id be interested in going, Pending I sell my car and get the FRC that I want :drool:

Runs12s
04-23-2013, 09:30 AM
I would like to do a road course event. I have started taking my car to the autox at the MetLife stadium on Sundays. I think the camaro would do better on the road course.. its a little to heavy to compete with those bmw and subarus at autox. Any idea of cost for this type of event.
I am good to attend a road course event beginning in June.. I have too much going on in May to make it on those weekends :(

IROCZman15
04-23-2013, 12:04 PM
this does sound like an awesome idea. of course depending on the date, the drive, and other factors i'd like to go. im interested and will keep checking on here for updates.

198esp1
04-23-2013, 08:45 PM
I would like to do a road course event. I have started taking my car to the autox at the MetLife stadium on Sundays. I think the camaro would do better on the road course.. its a little to heavy to compete with those bmw and subarus at autox. Any idea of cost for this type of event.
I am good to attend a road course event beginning in June.. I have too much going on in May to make it on those weekends :(

Be careful what you wish for. Heavy car at a track day will use up tires and brakes in short order. But it still will be fun. Iwould find some body that does track days in a 5th gen and pick their brain.

TaKid455
04-30-2013, 09:25 PM
Went to Meadowlands this past sunday w/ an E30 BMW along with my friend in a 2002 BMW. That's Model 2002, not year. Had a great time. Big power doesnt usually win on autoX. Light and nimble does do very well. Takes lots of driver skill and knowing your car.

Those Subby BRZ's were ripping it up!!

Runs12s
05-01-2013, 08:17 AM
I had a great time this past Sunday at AutoX again. Here is a picture of the starting grid line up. Lots of cool cars to be seen and great weather to run the course.