PDA

View Full Version : Spray Painting Plastics

ar0ck
02-17-2013, 12:05 PM
Been tossing around the idea of picking up some satin black Krylon Fusion Spray to repaint some light grey interior pieces. Has anyone had any experience using this? I've heard of people using dyes and all sorts of stuff. I'm a little hesitant to do this to larger parts, mainly the door panels, hopefully someone else has used this method to do such a large part.

NJ Torque
02-17-2013, 01:53 PM
I did on my malibu that was red... actually turned out real good. I cant comment on duribility since I sold the car soon after...

Blackbirdws6
02-17-2013, 02:52 PM
I don't have experience with its durability but the finish and adhesion was very good when I used that paint.

ar0ck
02-17-2013, 03:16 PM
I don't have experience with its durability but the finish and adhesion was very good when I used that paint.

What did you paint, and how well did it match the factory black?

donnj
02-17-2013, 05:45 PM
I have been using the Duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint with excellent results lately. The fusion has a new formula now that has been giving me nothing but problems

Blackbirdws6
02-17-2013, 06:16 PM
What did you paint, and how well did it match the factory black?

I painted headlight bezels for KirkEvils TBSS headlights. They were gray plastic and now black. I am going to test the paint on some convertible hard plastic covers come spring. I have a spare set.

sweetbmxrider
02-18-2013, 07:42 AM
That stuff is good and so is duplicolor's vinyl and fabric paint. Devil Doug did his leather door panels and you could actually push them and the paint wouldn't crack. Its pretty wild. I've used it on the plastics and its held up great.

Featherburner
02-18-2013, 07:56 AM
I used Martin Senour Paints vinyl dye on an entire interior of a truck I built. Dash pad, arm rests and door panels and it held up very well even in a DD. I sold the truck after 16 years and it still looked great.

BonzoHansen
02-18-2013, 02:36 PM
With older cars all I ever see is dye, not paint. I have a pile of brown 2nd gen plastics I'll be dyeing in the summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mMYl2sW0Zw&feature=player_embedded

The Fixer
02-18-2013, 08:29 PM

Same here. Once upon a time, I painted a white pickguard for a guitar with the Krylon beige plastic paint, and it held up well - especially considering it was getting hit with a guitar pick while strumming. It showed scratches, but never deep enough to the original color.