PDA

View Full Version : Bass Players

z28camaro94
03-08-2013, 12:57 PM
In the last 2 months I've picked up my bass that I've owned since college(8 yrs ago) and started practicing and learning. I've been working on scales, chords, chord tones, arpeggios, walking base lines. As well as just trying to get my fingers to do what there supposed to do.

Are there any of you out there that play bass, or even guitar? What did you do when you started playing. What did you practice? Are there any tips you would like to share.

I feel like I've gotten into a rut, playing and practicing the same things over and over again. I know it is important to fully know and understand all the fundamentals. What do you have with you when you practice, i.e. metronomes, backing tracks? Do you always practice in the same spot or try different spots for more influences.

I know, its a lot of questions. Basically I'm just looking for tips to further my knowledge and skill. And try to get out of this rut I'm in

WildBillyT
03-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Pretty sure the Fixer and Mezzy play guitar.

Probably a bunch of others, too.

Jersey Mike
03-08-2013, 02:12 PM
x2 on Mezzy. I know he slaps a little bass :shifty:

8W3NERMKIBM

donnj
03-08-2013, 02:13 PM
Mezzy kicks a** !!!!! MEZZY ! MEZZY ! MEZZY ! MEZZY !
0TYT397bbng

z28camaro94
03-08-2013, 02:29 PM
^ wow!!

Ive been searching alot of online bass lessons, but thats while Im at work and its kinda hard to remember by the time I get home. I have a comp at home but with no sound or headphones(yes Im really broke).

Looking for tips for beginners. Ive thought about going and taking some private lessons, but no money at the moment. I take all input from anyone, as it is essential part of learning. Im more of a rock and roll type of person, but like a lot of jazz, funk and blues.

grazi
03-08-2013, 03:19 PM
0TYT397bbng

Dude shreds!!!!!!¡

The Fixer
03-08-2013, 03:41 PM
In the last 2 months I've picked up my bass that I've owned since college(8 yrs ago) and started practicing and learning. I've been working on scales, chords, chord tones, arpeggios, walking base lines. As well as just trying to get my fingers to do what there supposed to do.

Are there any of you out there that play bass, or even guitar? What did you do when you started playing. What did you practice? Are there any tips you would like to share.

I feel like I've gotten into a rut, playing and practicing the same things over and over again. I know it is important to fully know and understand all the fundamentals. What do you have with you when you practice, i.e. metronomes, backing tracks? Do you always practice in the same spot or try different spots for more influences.

I know, its a lot of questions. Basically I'm just looking for tips to further my knowledge and skill. And try to get out of this rut I'm in

I hear you. I'm really a trumpet player, but have been seriously playing guitar for the last two years because I teach K-6 general music in an elementary school, and playing guitar is easier for me than a piano. Plus, I can keep track of my students and walk around the room. I have practiced a LOT as far as working on strum patterns and keeping things in time while singing. I can't solo or shred, but I'm fairly competent now as a rhythm guitar player.

And while I'm not a bass player, it sounds like you're doing the right stuff - arpeggios, scales, and such are very important to keeping a piece of music in the right key. Do you read sheet music, or tabs? How's your knowledge of the fretboard itself - do you know what note is on what string depending on where you are on the fretboard? It's something I still work on with the guitar, trying to remember where all the notes are. As for what to do next, I recommend trying to learn songs that you like, and play along with them. I do a lot of practicing to the Beatles - some of their stuff is really easy, and other tunes are very difficult. Hang in there and keep shedding!

Rob WS6
03-08-2013, 05:25 PM
Just pick your favorite songs and learn them... as they get easier, challenge yourself with harder ones. Dont get discouraged if you can play something at first, many times Ive found that taking a break and trying again the next day, you may just find youll be able to do it. Dont worry about speed, anyone can play fast... worry about accuracy and more importantly, feel. Playing like a robot is easy, making your playing sound like "you" is what its all about! When someone can identify your playing within the first couple notes, youre doing it right! :D

z28camaro94
03-08-2013, 06:12 PM
I hear you. I'm really a trumpet player, but have been seriously playing guitar for the last two years because I teach K-6 general music in an elementary school, and playing guitar is easier for me than a piano. Plus, I can keep track of my students and walk around the room. I have practiced a LOT as far as working on strum patterns and keeping things in time while singing. I can't solo or shred, but I'm fairly competent now as a rhythm guitar player.

And while I'm not a bass player, it sounds like you're doing the right stuff - arpeggios, scales, and such are very important to keeping a piece of music in the right key. Do you read sheet music, or tabs? How's your knowledge of the fretboard itself - do you know what note is on what string depending on where you are on the fretboard? It's something I still work on with the guitar, trying to remember where all the notes are. As for what to do next, I recommend trying to learn songs that you like, and play along with them. I do a lot of practicing to the Beatles - some of their stuff is really easy, and other tunes are very difficult. Hang in there and keep shedding!

I used to play chello...but that was in 2nd grade. And then went to the trumpet!! Ive always had an ear for music. My knowledge of the fretboard needs some work. But Im using the chord patterns, etc. to help my learning of where the notes are, I either try to sing out the notes as im playing or just say what note of what scale Im on, be it the root, 3rd, 5th, 7th. Im good at finding the out the root notes, and then the major or minor scale from there(modes are another thing). still working on the chords and patterns form there. I used to be able to read music, but not anymore. I know that is essential part of playing and am working on it. Do you have any tips on chord progression or playing shapes?

Just pick your favorite songs and learn them... as they get easier, challenge yourself with harder ones. Dont get discouraged if you can play something at first, many times Ive found that taking a break and trying again the next day, you may just find youll be able to do it. Dont worry about speed, anyone can play fast... worry about accuracy and more importantly, feel. Playing like a robot is easy, making your playing sound like "you" is what its all about! When someone can identify your playing within the first couple notes, youre doing it right! :D

I find the same thing in my playing. For example, I work on a good rhythm for the day and if i cant figure it out or if feel that my body is tensioned up, I will take a break or even put it off till the next day. As far as playing along with what I listen to, I need to work on that. As far as taking time to google what key a song is played in and take it from there

I wouldnt call myself a beginner, but at the same time I wouldnt call myself a novice. Meaning I know that parts of the Bass, what they do, how they affect the sound you want, but Its frustrating when you cant make it do what you want(finger positions and what not). I guess thats the rut Im stuck in. Still learning the fretboard and the notes within, what notes sound good with others and so on.

I would really like to improvise and create. I have a very creative mind, but havent had the discipline to put in down on paper, so to say.

NastyEllEssWon
03-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Hang in there and keep shedding!

not on the damn couch! :kneeslap:

unstable bob gable
03-08-2013, 09:42 PM
I haven't messed around with playing bass in a long time, but back in the day I used to practice with a buddy of mine who is a monster player, and he would always resort to playing walking bass lines to limber up, to stay fresh, to keep it simple, etc. Stuff like most Johnny Cash tunes, lots of southern rock, etc. A fav of his was Lynyrd Skynyrd's "They call me the breeze."

z28camaro94
03-09-2013, 09:06 AM
Thats what I try to do as well, to warm up. I practice at least a hr a day. I try to break it up into 3 sections, so I dont get bored just doing one thing the whole time. First, technical things such and scales up and down working on accuracy. 2nd, just messing around trying to create something groovy. 3rd, working on slap and pop for accuracy. Im getting pretty good at slapping and not having all the other strings ring out. Getting my left hand to do what my brain is telling it to do is a nother thing.

One thing I need to have done is a good setup. Im pretty sure my strings are too high off the fretboard, and the truss rod in the neck needs to be adjusted.

The Fixer
03-09-2013, 09:50 AM
not on the damn couch! :kneeslap:

LOL, that's what us musicians call practicing - hitting the woodshed, or shedding. :)

The Fixer
03-09-2013, 09:57 AM
I used to play chello...but that was in 2nd grade. And then went to the trumpet!! Ive always had an ear for music. My knowledge of the fretboard needs some work. But Im using the chord patterns, etc. to help my learning of where the notes are, I either try to sing out the notes as im playing or just say what note of what scale Im on, be it the root, 3rd, 5th, 7th. Im good at finding the out the root notes, and then the major or minor scale from there(modes are another thing). still working on the chords and patterns form there. I used to be able to read music, but not anymore. I know that is essential part of playing and am working on it. Do you have any tips on chord progression or playing shapes?

That's a great start! And since you played the cello a bit, it's also in bass clef, which is what you need to learn to read anyway. It might come back with a little practice. The names of the spaces are (from the bottom of the staff to the top) are A, C, E, G, and the lines are G, B, D, F, A.

A lot of rock tunes are based on a simple I, IV, V, I progression. So, if you were starting in in the key of C, you'd play a C triad, then on to an F triad, then G, and back to C. Another popular progression is I, vi, IV, V, I. So, that would be from C major, to A minor, then F major, G major, and back to C major. Gotta watch that minor chord, since it keep the music a bit more interesting. :) Let me know if you have any other questions!

Rob WS6
03-09-2013, 09:58 AM
LOL, that's what us musicians call practicing - hitting the woodshed, or shedding. :)

We do? Ive been playing guitar for 15 years and Ive NEVER heard that before. :lol:

The Fixer
03-09-2013, 10:01 AM
We do? Ive been playing guitar for 15 years and Ive NEVER heard that before. :lol:

LOL, maybe it's a jazz thing then - the jazz guys I studied with at William Paterson always called it shedding. :)

z28camaro94
03-09-2013, 10:54 AM
That's a great start! And since you played the cello a bit, it's also in bass clef, which is what you need to learn to read anyway. It might come back with a little practice. The names of the spaces are (from the bottom of the staff to the top) are A, C, E, G, and the lines are G, B, D, F, A. That helps out a lot!! Thanks.

A lot of rock tunes are based on a simple I, IV, V, I progression. So, if you were starting in in the key of C, you'd play a C triad, then on to an F triad, then G, and back to C. Another popular progression is I, vi, IV, V, I. So, that would be from C major, to A minor, then F major, G major, and back to C major. Gotta watch that minor chord, since it keep the music a bit more interesting. :) Let me know if you have any other questions!

Ok, so a triad is the 1st, 3rd, 5th for major and 2nd, 4th, 6th for minor, iirc? Using the 1st, 4th, and 5th as root notes, I would cycle through each one for a simple progression?

The Fixer
03-10-2013, 08:50 AM
That helps out a lot!! Thanks.

Ok, so a triad is the 1st, 3rd, 5th for major and 2nd, 4th, 6th for minor, iirc? Using the 1st, 4th, and 5th as root notes, I would cycle through each one for a simple progression?

No problem! OK, let me try and explain a bit better. Triads are always built on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th above whatever note you start on. Whether it's major or minor depends on what key you're in, and what note you start on. For example, if you're noodling around in the key of C (no sharps, no flats), the C triad (I chord) is C - E - G, the F triad (IV chord) is F - A - C, and the G triad (V chord) is G - B - D. Those are major, because of the relationship between in the notes in the triad. The A triad (vi chord) is A - C - E, because it fits in the key.

In the key of C, the A triad is minor - if you wanted A major, it would need a C#, but C# doesn't fit in the key of C. I hope that makes some sense! If not, just post questions and I'll try to explain as best as I can through a keyboard LOL! :)

z28camaro94
03-12-2013, 10:16 AM
It kinda makes since. but Ive never been a book learner, y I failed out of college. If I were to see it, it would make more since. Im still reading up on music theory. The major triads, I feel pretty comfortable with, minors I will need to continue to work with.

Im also trying to not cram my brain with too much info at once. Like this weekend I was working one the I, IV, V, I progression, and was able to get pretty quick and accurate with it, playing just quarter notes and using a mute. And just did that all weekend, and prob all this week until I can do it without missing a note and without looking at the fretboard.

Maybe we could set something up in a month or 2, where I could come up there for a day lesson?

z28camaro94
03-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Another question. Ive been looking at other common progressions to mess around with, and on this pdf i found http://www.jdarks.com/files/Chord_Progressions___MoneyChords.com.pdf page 12, the common I-IV progression, the person shows it as C / / / F / / / C / / / F / / /. Do you know what the slashes mean. Are they rests or mutes or something?

Untamed
03-12-2013, 03:05 PM
Wow so strange this thread pops up. Been looking at basses lately since getting rid of my Peavy Patriot. Miss playing, and also combed through YouTube watching others play.

z28camaro94
03-12-2013, 03:10 PM
That sounds like mine!! Mines a peavy 5 stringer. dont know that exact name of it tho.

Untamed
03-14-2013, 01:55 PM
This is an image off the net, but its almost exactly like the one I had, minus the sticker / label in front of the pickup. Always prefered the natural maple neck without the rosewood fretboard.

http://www.bass-guitar-museum.com/uploads/bass/11/170137554432-1.jpg

chrisfrom nj
03-14-2013, 03:54 PM
0TYT397bbngmezzy is kicks A$$

chrisfrom nj
03-14-2013, 03:58 PM
[QUOTE=donnj;873553]Mezzy kicks a** !!!!! MEZZY ! MEZZY ! MEZZY ! MEZZY !
0TYT397bbng[/QUOTE mezzy kicks as$