PDA

View Full Version : Whys is it when building a new car there are many restricted options?

WiMiMc
03-12-2013, 07:29 AM
Every now and then I'll go on Chevy or GMCs website, and build up a vehicle to see how I'd want it and the price. As I go through the pages options I check off will either force me to get another one with it (whether I want it or not) or will negate the ability to pick something else. Most notably is the engine and transmission combinations. On the Colorado you cant get the 5 speed with the 5 cylinder, you can only get the 4 banger.

I've heard how years ago a person would have pages and pages of options that they could check off and get. I understand now that many things are standard and they want to cut costs, but why from the available options If i choose A, i'm not allowed to get C,D, and E?

So just for kicks I brought up Nissan's site and started building a Frontier. Almost immediately the Frontier seems like a better buy. With the extended cab + a 4.0 liter and a 6 speed manual trans, I'm at ~23,000. At the first page of the Colorado, as soon as I go from standard to extended cab it jumps from 21,000 to 27,800. Why are they not as nearly competitive?

BonzoHansen
03-12-2013, 07:44 AM
"...you cant get the 5 speed with the 5 cylinder, you can only get the 4 banger" - that is an emissions rule., when they get certified by the govt it is for entire the drivetrain. So if they do trans options each of those combinations must pass testing. Also they may feel that trans can’t take it – like no 5 speeds in 5.7 3rd gens.

V
03-12-2013, 09:03 AM
i noticed the same thing kinda with the ATS. You can't get a awd system with manual trans but that's as of now and should be changing for 2014, or so they say.

1320B4U
03-12-2013, 10:47 AM
...b/c thats how gm operates now a days. We are sorry you can't get the 5cyl/5spd combo but we can sell you a full size w/the 6 or small 8 and a 5spd w/t for a little more.... Its all about revenue. Now you have to bundle into packages in order to get some things that you want. We wanted the moonroof in the equinox but that comes w/power seats and the pioneer sound system or something like that...its all bundled like cable now a days.

WildBillyT
03-12-2013, 11:09 AM
...b/c thats how gm operates now a days. We are sorry you can't get the 5cyl/5spd combo but we can sell you a full size w/the 6 or small 8 and a 5spd w/t for a little more.... Its all about revenue. Now you have to bundle into packages in order to get some things that you want. We wanted the moonroof in the equinox but that comes w/power seats and the pioneer sound system or something like that...its all bundled like cable now a days.

Been like that for a long time.

Part of it is also because allowing wacky a la carte option configurations can make things expensive to build.

Jersey Mike
03-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Part of it is also because allowing wacky a la carte option configurations can make things expensive to build.

It boils down to money, as all things do. I'm only guessing here, but I'd imagine it's more to do with minimizing their own costs than getting more money out of you. Which blue-collar company doesn't want to keep their prices competitive? The higher their cost, the higher yours.

People who want heated seats will often look for a sunroof and premium sound as well. Or, the majority of people who want the smaller engine with the manual trans and no power seats for hypermiling, often won't care for X, Y & Z bells & whistles. I think the "packages" are split mainly based on demographic research and majority rule. I don't suspect it's as much about coercing the consumer into dishing out more money.

NJ Torque
03-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Its not just GM guys...

WayFast84
03-12-2013, 02:11 PM
Yeah. You can't spec out a car the way you want it anymore. It's all a package deal. Want a kick ass stereo? Too bad, your also getting Navi.. It's a pain in the ass but it's more profitable to make packages and then have dealers install extra stuff for their own cost.

L695speed
03-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Yeah same with Fords, want the Recaro seats, well you'll also have to have Ford My Touch...um yeah I don't want the big TV screen in my dash and the headache of keeping it updated. In my case the moonroof was a stand alone option though. Could have it regardless of package. I figure if I really want the Recaro seats, I can find some moron who wrecked their car and get the seats out of that one. Ditto for the Sony Stereo.

I really wish you could option out a car the way you want, but I guess they realized they could make more money by forcing things on you that really aren't needed or wanted.

BigAls87Z28
03-12-2013, 09:05 PM
Japanese started the option package deal, grouping similar options together.

You can't option the Colorado because they aren't making them anymore, that is until the new one comes out, and even then, there probably won't be a manual trans.

Option packages work together so that they can keep costs down at the factory, as well as make it easier for production. And Paul, there won't be a manual AWD ATS, but option packages are most likely to be moved around.

GM's problem is that HOW they group the options. Perfect example is the ATS. If you opt for the performance package, you don't get the MRC suspension nor do you get the LSD. No, you have to get the top trim model to get that stuff.

The Malibu Turbo tester I had was fully loaded at 34 large, but no navigation?

Cruze sold well in it's first year, but GM detected different patterns in buying and changed up the option packages for the following year, reducing the price on some trims.
Everyone does this, but it takes about a year or so to see how exact the market is going to react.

LTb1ow
03-14-2013, 07:15 AM
Will their be a diesel colarado option.

1320B4U
03-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Pretty interesting al on the ats option group. A perf option should include lsd by default and an lsd should be standard on any 5spd offering. What burns me up is when equipped in any 4wd pickup, posi/lsd is not standard (or wasnt a few years ago)