PDA

View Full Version : Windows Installation Question

NastyEllEssWon
03-20-2013, 02:20 AM
Im putting together a rig and Ive asked around and no one i knew had an answer for me. If I already have a valid version of windows but no longer have my boot disc can i use any old windows disc and validate it with my product key for my old copy?

WildBillyT
03-20-2013, 08:01 AM
I don't think you can. I think the key is coded into the installation software.

Do you have windows installed from that CD on another machine? You can use magic jelly bean finder to get the key back.

The_Bishop
03-20-2013, 01:05 PM
there are programs that can recover your windows key from an old installation, then you can use any windows disk as long as it's the same version.

NastyEllEssWon
03-20-2013, 03:53 PM
I dont need to find the product key, I have the actual code still on the side of my tower. Its Windows 7 Home 64 bit...if i use the same disc from a buddy my key should still work right?

WildBillyT
03-20-2013, 04:16 PM
I dont need to find the product key, I have the actual code still on the side of my tower. Its Windows 7 Home 64 bit...if i use the same disc from a buddy my key should still work right?

You can try, but I don't think it will work with 7.

PolarBear
03-20-2013, 05:12 PM
Win 7 is actually better from what I have seen. They key actually determines which version it installs, so the install disc is less of an issue. If you have doubts, just install it on another hard drive to be sure. I also think a friend of mine borrowed my Vista or 7 disc for someone else's computer

Tru2Chevy
03-23-2013, 09:13 PM
I am pretty sure Bear is right - 7 is less of a hassle as long as you have a legit key.

I'm going in circles trying to get a legit install of XP Pro on my Dad's old HP. Anyone have an HP XP Pro install disk? I have several copies of the retail edition of XP, but apparently I need an OEM copy to use the key on the CoA sticker.

- Justin

ShitOnWheels
03-24-2013, 08:27 AM
I am pretty sure Bear is right - 7 is less of a hassle as long as you have a legit key.

I'm going in circles trying to get a legit install of XP Pro on my Dad's old HP. Anyone have an HP XP Pro install disk? I have several copies of the retail edition of XP, but apparently I need an OEM copy to use the key on the CoA sticker.

- Justin

Justin - I have an OEM for an eMachines - but it's XP Home. Still brand new in the package too. Any chance it would work even though you have an HP and you want Pro??

Tru2Chevy
03-24-2013, 05:02 PM
No, thanks though. The eMachine source isn't an issue, but the home disc won't work with the Pro key I have.

I believe any OEM provided XP Pro disc will work, an HP disc will just make the process slightly easier.

- Justin

NastyEllEssWon
03-25-2013, 07:24 PM
Actually Justin let me get ahold of my buddy. he SWEARS by windows xp and im pretty sure still runs it on a media computer of his...which i know for sure is an HP cause i helped him put it together. let me see if his is home or pro and i'll get back to you.

thanks for the help everyone. ive got my new SSD and windows 7 all loaded up and ready to go. The tower and liquid cooling setup gets here next week. It should be a beast :D

Tru2Chevy
03-25-2013, 07:27 PM
Thanks Jay, appreciate it. And post some pics of that rig once you get it set up :)

- Justin

NastyEllEssWon
03-25-2013, 07:37 PM
Thanks Jay, appreciate it. And post some pics of that rig once you get it set up :)

- Justin

haha no problem

http://gyazo.com/b34cd60bd8c9a410b2f530564f63d2df.png

This is my current pc that i use to record and game on now. its a amd phenom xII 3.4ghz quad core, 16gb of ram, 600 watt psu and a 6850 video card.

I wanna record and play in ultra at the same time so im building an i5 3770k 3.5 ghz, 10 percent overclocked.64 gb ssd windows 7 install. 7950 radeon 3gb vidja card, 800 watt psu and 16 gb of ram. the biggest thing though is that my new motherboard will have 4 dual channel slots of ram and extra video card slots, my old budget build didnt have that expandability. not only that but the new mobo has some usb 3.0 slots on it as well, so that'll help. especially with the liquid cooling.

so it'll be gaming in ultra on the new pc and using my hdmi capture card, to record from the other pc and also livestream without lag :D

Tru2Chevy
03-25-2013, 07:53 PM
Nice build.....kids + mortgage have ruined my ability to keep up. My current machine is only an Athlon 64 x2 3800+ dual core with 4GB ram and a GeForce 6200 1GB card. I just inherited a phenom 9150e quad core with a nice biostar board and 8gb ram from a friend that is upgrading one of his servers, so that will be going into my Lian Li PC-V1200 case and I'll have something worth gaming on again.

- Justin

NastyEllEssWon
03-25-2013, 08:23 PM
Nice build.....kids + mortgage have ruined my ability to keep up. My current machine is only an Athlon 64 x2 3800+ dual core with 4GB ram and a GeForce 6200 1GB card. I just inherited a phenom 9150e quad core with a nice biostar board and 8gb ram from a friend that is upgrading one of his servers, so that will be going into my Lian Li PC-V1200 case and I'll have something worth gaming on again.

- Justin

haha thankfully my son is at that age (10 years old now holy crap) that he's pretty cheap and easy to care for, that plus no mortgage leaves a little bit of leeway but honestly the extra money i make for making videos allows me to game without spending any of the real money we make :D

justin on a side note is your ram DDR2 or DDR3? if its 3 I can toss a few extra ram sticks in a manilla envelope and send em your way. an extra 4 gb's never hurt anyone and i have some extra sticks just laying around :D