PDA

View Full Version : Looking to organize a charity/fundraiser car show - Need some input

Blackbirdws6
03-20-2013, 12:42 PM
I've been toying with this idea for years and if time allows, I would like to organize a charity/fundraiser type car show/event. There are a ton of ways to do this but what I'm looking for is information for when the "big" shows are happening in NJ throughout the Spring through Fall timeframe. Last thing I want to do is make a plan and get arrangements setup for it to be a bust due to well established show occuring at the same time.

I forgot the name of the car show website that seems to list a bunch of these which could be helpful.

If any are interested in helping, I will keep it in mind when I get some better framework around the idea.

WildBillyT
03-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Tentative date and location?

BonzoHansen
03-20-2013, 12:57 PM
look here: http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52662

Blackbirdws6
03-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Tentative date and location?

Thinking in the June/July timeframe and unsure on location. Accessibility to the venue is important so it's something I will have to mess around with. It won't be in the north but I'm thinking Central or more towards the shore area.

look here: http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52662

That's a good start. Thanks.

LTb1ow
03-20-2013, 01:25 PM
Does shamu really need the contest to be that rigged in order to win a trophy? :rofl:

What kinda fundraiser?

Squirrel
03-20-2013, 01:37 PM
A car show fundraiser is not something you can throw together in a couple months, im tight with the girls that run the ZTA street wars show, and it is a year round job basically... the venue is the easy part, the people is where it becomes difficult

Blackbirdws6
03-20-2013, 01:42 PM
Does shamu really need the contest to be that rigged in order to win a trophy? :rofl:

What kinda fundraiser?

Nah nah. The bird would not be eligible for prizes. I knew the trophies were done once I finished the new build.

Thinking of something related to the storm plus the MS foundation.

LTb1ow
03-20-2013, 01:54 PM
Nah nah. The bird would not be eligible for prizes. I knew the trophies were done once I finished the new build.

Thinking of something related to the storm plus the MS foundation.

This is what I assumed, dunno what I could do, but lemme know

WildBillyT
03-20-2013, 01:55 PM
Regarding MS, some news from yesterday:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/03/130319144427.htm

Blackbirdws6
03-20-2013, 01:56 PM
A car show fundraiser is not something you can throw together in a couple months, im tight with the girls that run the ZTA street wars show, and it is a year round job basically... the venue is the easy part, the people is where it becomes difficult

I understand a huge show will require a massive amount of coordination. I'm basically looking into it and seeing what can and can't be done within a reasonable timeframe. Life may happen and I shelve the idea until next year. If I got 50-100 cars to show up with a nice venue, some giveaway swag, and money towards a good cause, then that will be a good start.

coolmanvette75
03-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Get the location and a date set, make up some flyers, and I can prob get a decent amount of cars there. My dad is real tight with a bunch of the local cruises and can pass out flyers and get the other shows to talk it up for ya...

BonzoHansen
03-20-2013, 02:20 PM
I understand a huge show will require a massive amount of coordination. I'm basically looking into it and seeing what can and can't be done within a reasonable timeframe. Life may happen and I shelve the idea until next year. If I got 50-100 cars to show up with a nice venue, some giveaway swag, and money towards a good cause, then that will be a good start.

start now for next year. keep doing your homework. you have club support too.

Mike
03-20-2013, 03:26 PM
start now for next year. keep doing your homework. you have club support too.

Potential monthly meet for next year.

KevinW
03-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Brian, the big thing in my book is a good venue, plenty of parking (for the show cars) plus the visitors. And something else to do/look at besides the cars, kids games, food, vendors, etc. Having a low entry fee and asking for donations is better IMO that asking for a big ticket up front. I have been to plenty of too small/poorly run events :(

I keep a google calendar maintained for most of the central NJ shows/cruise nights, with some specials from North and South. Scott knows the URL, its public.
Luck!

RiggsLW81
03-20-2013, 04:13 PM
I think its doable for this summer...especially with all the social networking sites to spread the word.

Also, i think its a great idea to use a fundraiser for MS. My little sister has MS, and since finding out a few years ago, I have participated in many MS walks, but never an MS car show.. I can safely say I can gather 3-5 cars who would attend for that cause.

good luck..if you need any help, just shout, glad to lend a hand.

sweetbmxrider
03-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Like smash said, dono what I can do but I'll try to do something. And as first beer was saying, get in and acquainted with those who have good shows already. They get behind you, their friends get behind them, etc etc and you have yourself over 100 cars in no time. Biggest thing like mentioned is a decent venue that has both a large parking area and other means of entertainment.

unstable bob gable
03-20-2013, 07:31 PM
Holla at me if there is anything I can do to help. And I promise at a minimum I will be there with at least one kool Turbo Dodge! :)

NJ Torque
03-20-2013, 07:56 PM
sounds like a pretty swift idea.

V
03-20-2013, 08:06 PM
I looked into trying to organize a show once before, the biggest issue is insurance.

Jersey Mike
03-20-2013, 08:52 PM
As others have said, I don't what, but you've got support here on my end with whatever you may need.

Blackbirdws6
03-21-2013, 07:26 AM
All good ideas everyone. Thanks for the comments and for those that offered support. I will spin this around in my head and see what way I want to go with it.

69RSZ
03-21-2013, 02:29 PM
I looked into trying to organize a show once before, the biggest issue is insurance.

Yes there is liability involved.Make sure you put a release of liability and state that all are at the show at their own risk.MAKE SURE and ask a lawyer how to make sure your not lible for any injuries or loss of property.Usally all entries must sign a release on the carshow form.Also make sure you have enough judges to do the job or it could be a long day!!LOL.I did the carshow at the Anheuser busch brewery and there is a lot involved.So get some advice from clubs on how to set up classes,plan on what kind of cars or trucks or even motorcycles and their respective classes,best of show and so on.Ya got your work cut out for ya.

Blackbirdws6
03-21-2013, 03:09 PM
Insurance was one of the big items on my list.

LTb1ow
03-21-2013, 05:48 PM
I know a lawyer lulz

Squirrel
03-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Insurance was one of the big items on my list.

The thing to cut down on liability is have all the cars, entertainment, games, etc set up hours before general admission, that way theres no moving pieces as kids are running around like jackasses and the same at the end, no movement until everyone not involved is gone

townsend
03-23-2013, 01:00 AM
if any of this does happen, i have about 15-20 "various makes and models" cars that would definately come.

stevo89frml
03-23-2013, 02:31 PM
I've been toying with this idea for years and if time allows, I would like to organize a charity/fundraiser type car show/event. There are a ton of ways to do this but what I'm looking for is information for when the "big" shows are happening in NJ throughout the Spring through Fall timeframe. Last thing I want to do is make a plan and get arrangements setup for it to be a bust due to well established show occuring at the same time.

I forgot the name of the car show website that seems to list a bunch of these which could be helpful.

If any are interested in helping, I will keep it in mind when I get some better framework around the idea.

Hey we have a show for ten years upstate NY for just Firebirds, we have participants, no venue, all the parks and stadiums want from $525.00 to $3000.00 rental fees and hotels in Somerset and Piscataway don't want to commit to a show of this size..would consider Camaros '67 to '02, but that will double the amount of trophies...It is a benefit for Special Olympics, but the SONJ state office doesn't seem to want to help out...they just want the money. Any ideas or thoughts???

stevo89frml
03-23-2013, 02:37 PM
Hey we have a show for ten years upstate NY for just Firebirds, we have participants, no venue, all the parks and stadiums want from $525.00 to $3000.00 rental fees and hotels in Somerset and Piscataway don't want to commit to a show of this size..would consider Camaros '67 to '02, but that will double the amount of trophies...It is a benefit for Special Olympics, but the SONJ state office doesn't seem to want to help out...they just want the money. Any ideas or thoughts???

We can get insurance through a blanket Special Olympics policy, then you have special event permit, t-shirts trophies, DJ, and dash plaques..

Squirrel
03-26-2013, 02:55 PM
I know it might not sound 'charitable', but you also have to consider yourself in the equation, you're going to be laying out a lot of money that you might not end up getting back... you dont want to put on a lackluster show, put in all this time/work/effort/money and not break even and then feel obligated to make a personal donation

BonzoHansen
03-26-2013, 02:57 PM

who are some of SONJ biggest corporate sponsors? maybe one of them has a campus big enough to hold the show at.

WildBillyT
03-26-2013, 03:29 PM
who are some of SONJ biggest corporate sponsors? maybe one of them has a campus big enough to hold the show at.

TCNJ used to host the SONJ for a while

BonzoHansen
03-26-2013, 03:33 PM
some hotels in the area too

stevo89frml
03-29-2013, 11:11 AM
I will look into SONJ corporate sponsors..Thank you..SR