PDA

View Full Version : tinted t tops question

madness410
03-22-2013, 12:56 PM
i was thinking about getting my t tops tinted, i called a few places and some said they can do it, others said they cant do it because the tint retains heat from sunlight in the material and eventually cracks it.

does anybody have tinted t tops or know anybody who has them or has had them? if so how is it working out for them. thanks.

Jon

1320B4U
03-22-2013, 12:59 PM
They sell ttop sun shades to block the uv rays...look into these. They have the same feel/look as the headliner material.

V
03-22-2013, 01:05 PM
If you want less transparency, you can get a set of 93-94 dot matrix ttops.

As for the tint causing the glass to break, I'm unsure of that. Im pretty sure its the same type of safety glass that the side and hatch are made out of. And the back hatch would be more prone to breaking since its larger and absorbs more impact stress on a daily basis.

elle
03-22-2013, 01:14 PM
I think he means the tint cracks not the glass.

NastyEllEssWon
03-22-2013, 01:22 PM
ive tinted the bejeezus out of them before. always comes out looking great. i dont usually keep my cars longer than a year but ive never had any problem with bubbling of the tint.

sweetbmxrider
03-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Mine have been tinted longer than I can remember, no cracks. They aren't perfectly done, but dark as hell :lol:

madness410
03-22-2013, 02:46 PM
I think he means the tint cracks not the glass.

one of the shops said the glass would break or whatever material the ttops are made of.

Mine have been tinted longer than I can remember, no cracks. They aren't perfectly done, but dark as hell :lol:

cool do you usually park your camaro outside or garage? mine is always parked outside even through hot summer days

They sell ttop sun shades to block the uv rays...look into these. They have the same feel/look as the headliner material.

yeah ive looked into these and am looking to buy a pair but i may go to the tinted route because i do like some transparency.

sweetbmxrider
03-22-2013, 05:30 PM
Always outside uncovered. Sometimes I put the ttop shades in too.

Tru2Chevy
03-23-2013, 10:33 PM
one of the shops said the glass would break or whatever material the ttops are made of.

They must be assuming that 4th gen tops are lexan or something - the glass in them is the same as the glass in the rest of the car, so you shouldn't have any issues.

- Justin

madness410
03-24-2013, 02:35 AM
ok cool thanks. Adam what % did you get yours tinted and do you happen to have any pics of the transparency from inside of the car looking outside?

sweetbmxrider
03-24-2013, 08:20 AM
I think 2.5% or whatever autozone had :lol: It looks very similar to if you had the windshield tinted and were looking through the factory a/c tint at the top(the blueish hue). During the day, its easy to see out of.