PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with TX or CA?

Savage_Messiah
05-14-2013, 12:11 PM
And if so, do you know anything good/bad about any of these areas? There's this transfer opportunity at my job that I've been thinking about, live somewhere else for a bit while I'm still not tied down in this area.

Anything in parenthesis is what my job calls that specific location, not sure if it's relevant with different sections of cities or anything. Usually it's just the name of the closest industrial city/town.

Texas: San Angelo, Uvalde, Webster (South Houston)

N. CA: Sacramento, Newark (Fremont)

S. CA: Bloomington (Rialto), San Diego (2 here, one is called San Diego and one is called Otay), City of Industry (2 here also, one is called City of Industry and one is called Pomona), Ventura, Bell (Los Angeles), Carson, Sun Valley (Burbank), Fullerton (Anaheim)

JW
05-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Man I love Souther Cali, and have a few friends that live in & around San Diego and the Long Beach area. I would move their in a heartbeat if I got an opportunity. I have visited several times and its just a gorgeous place to be with year long nice weather!

JW :D

sweetbmxrider
05-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Seriously, so cal? GO NOW!!!

PolarBear
05-14-2013, 12:34 PM
If you're interested in firearms at all forget California. Texas is too hot ALL the time, lol

NastyEllEssWon
05-14-2013, 12:36 PM
norcal is nice in areas like san jose - santa cruz area....fremont and newark is dead smack in the middle of East Palo Alto and Hayward which are crapholes in itself. part of sacramento is a crap hole, other parts are crap holes surrounded by farm lands. theres a few nice areas, but youll pay for them 3 times well over.

Anti_Rice_Guy
05-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Everything's bigger in Texas. You will not survive.

1320B4U
05-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Tx is nice if you don't mind the heat, but depending on the area it could be remote country. Cali is just as expensive or even more than jersey to live.

The_Bishop
05-14-2013, 04:27 PM
Cali is *very* expensive to live in, and probably the least 'free' state. Firearms are a giant no-no there, gas is expensive as hell, and you get to deal with C.A.R.B. when it comes to vehicle mods. So, yeah - Cali can break free and sink for all I care, and take all the Cali-Communists with it. Hopefully Feinstein will go down with the ship, too.

Texas, aside from certain parts being hot, is a lot more 'free' in regards to most of our hobbies. I'd go there before I went to the people's republik of Kalifornia.

PolarBear
05-14-2013, 04:30 PM
Hopefully Feinstein will go down with the ship, too.
I'd go there before I went to the people's republik of Kalifornia.

:usa:

Well said :rofl:

Paul Huryk
05-14-2013, 04:44 PM
Cali is *very* expensive to live in, and probably the least 'free' state. Firearms are a giant no-no there, gas is expensive as hell, and you get to deal with C.A.R.B. when it comes to vehicle mods. So, yeah - Cali can break free and sink for all I care, and take all the Cali-Communists with it. Hopefully Feinstein will go down with the ship, too.

Texas, aside from certain parts being hot, is a lot more 'free' in regards to most of our hobbies. I'd go there before I went to the people's republik of Kalifornia.

Become a gang banger and you can have guns, no problem. Going to watch Boyz in the Hood now... lol

Seriously, San Diego is 100% awesome - great weather, great scenery, get to see big navy ships all day... But it is expensive - not like the east coast is free or anything.

Savage_Messiah
05-14-2013, 08:41 PM
The one I'm considering in Texas is just outside of Houston. Right in between Houston and Galveston. I haven't been able to find many people with the exact what's what for the towns in CA. Hot weather is a plus for me though, I'm not friends with cold or snow. I can list up to 5, so I'm thinking if I make the decision to apply for the transfers, list the Texas one first and then try to dig up info on the places in so cal and list a few of those also. My main driving force behind all this is to have the experience of living somewhere else in the country before I get tied down anywhere. There's also nothing saying I can't go somewhere for a year or two, and move elsewhere after that. Thanks for the input though, keep it coming if anyone has anything else

ar0ck
05-15-2013, 06:00 PM
I'm in Rancho Bernardo :wavey:

Savage_Messiah
05-15-2013, 07:19 PM
Well, I just decided to pull the trigger and see what happens... I submitte the form with Houston as the first choice, San Diego as the second, LA as the third and fourth. I'll see what happens from here (there's a chance that these all get taken by people more local anyway)

Savage_Messiah
05-15-2013, 08:44 PM
Also, if this does happen, I will probably have a lot of parts or my entire driveway ornament on the market from my forever unfinished build that I would not be bringing with me...

Savage_Messiah
05-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Just found out I got accepted to South Houston (Webster). I have until Thursday to decide if I want to take it, or decline it and look for open promotions as they pop up around the country instead of taking a lateral move. Thoughts, opinions?

WSex
05-21-2013, 03:48 PM
what a great oppurtunity.
would do texas in a heartbeat

Z28 Heritage
05-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Take it TX looks way better then here! :facepalm:

NastyEllEssWon
05-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Just found out I got accepted to South Houston (Webster). I have until Thursday to decide if I want to take it, or decline it and look for open promotions as they pop up around the country instead of taking a lateral move. Thoughts, opinions?

take it. living away from home for a few years is amazing

Teds89IROC
05-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Texas has the steers, you can bring the queer(s)

lol seriously, I would go if I were you

Tsar
05-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Go fidget, go!

coolmanvette75
05-25-2013, 08:22 PM
Go for it! I made the move for Texas for school back in August and love it. Weather is a little hot but really not that bad. By September it cools off and stays like spring weather through Christmas. I love the Houston area. I am 3 hours south in Corpus Christi but am in Houston a decent amount. It is great because there is a lot going on and the opportunity to make money is insane. Let me know if you do go and I'll scoop you up for TX2K in March...

Savage_Messiah
05-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to update this, I signed the papers to make it definite on Thursday. Probably leaving NJ on June 23rd.

sweetbmxrider
05-27-2013, 08:31 AM
Bye.

Slow-V6
05-28-2013, 09:19 AM
San Diego is great.. Its really nice all year round. The only drawback is its very congested. Go a little north and your in LA which is one of the worst places on Earth!

I havent been to Houston TX but I go to Dallas Alot. I hear Houston is very similar just hotter. I really dont care for TX. Its too hot, there is alot of nothing, and you have to drive forever to get anywere. The food is great and the laws are alot less strict then NJ but man its 90-100 degrees or more from like April-October in Dallas..

V
05-28-2013, 09:26 AM
He's going to TX btw, since he failed to mention.

BonzoHansen
05-28-2013, 09:32 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot to update this, I signed the papers to make it definite on Thursday. Probably leaving NJ on June 23rd.

http://wonderpodonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/GTFO-Angry-Asian.jpg

Savage_Messiah
05-28-2013, 09:54 AM
He's going to TX btw, since he failed to mention.

:bertstare:

Slow-V6
05-28-2013, 11:52 AM
... Bring lots of sunscreen and hope your A/C works well in your cars!! The last 4 years I have been there during the Spring,Summer, and fall months there have been very bad drouts were there were very bad water restrictions set. We could only take showers during certain hrs of the day @ the hotel we stayed @. There were also Tornado warnings at least once a week.

Jersey Mike
05-28-2013, 12:31 PM
...posts 15 & 22, V.

But more importantly, you getting a new camaro, Paul?

Savage_Messiah
05-28-2013, 12:43 PM
I don't need sunscreen :lol:

V
05-28-2013, 02:16 PM
blah, lol

I was mainly responding to comments still being made about Cali.

Slow-V6
05-29-2013, 07:14 AM
I don't need sunscreen :lol:

Gotcha!! I was there last year in June, Aug, and Sept for a total of 50 days and it never got cooler then 90 degrees @ night! Think there was a stretch of 30 or more days were the temp was higher then 105 each day and it never dropped below 100 degrees! Basically we would get home from work and just hangout in the A/C of the Hotel.. Also it did not rain for a whole month. Just hot and humid.

I was also there in Jan of 2012 for 3 weeks and the temp never got warmer then 25 degrees! we had 2 snow storms and the entire area shut down.

BigAls87Z28
05-29-2013, 11:31 AM
Wait...you had a choice between Texas and SoCal, and you picked Texas? Either way, you will be with your people.

The_Bishop
05-30-2013, 09:28 AM
This is why Kailfornia can sink and nobody would give a damn:

Peoples Republik of Kalifornia (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/political/la-me-pc-senate-approves-gun-bills-20130529,0,4224140.story)