PDA

View Full Version : Authorities raid 29 bars for selling cheap liquor as premium products

WildBillyT
05-22-2013, 03:26 PM
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/05/top-shelf_scheme_authorities_r.html

Stay away from TGI Fridays.

BonzoHansen
05-22-2013, 03:29 PM
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/05/top-shelf_scheme_authorities_r.html

Stay away from TGI Fridays.

i have for years because they suck

Rob WS6
05-22-2013, 03:41 PM
Ive had nothing but bad experiences at TGI lately... Im done wasting my money there for sure. Good thing I only drink beer... its pretty hard to fake a Yuengling. :lol:

The_Bishop
05-22-2013, 03:43 PM
This is why I only drink quality booze that comes in mason jars at home.

V
05-22-2013, 04:32 PM
I drink everclear at home.

grazi
05-22-2013, 06:28 PM
Graziano's........great

deadtrend1
05-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Surprised a certain bar in trenton wasnt on the list. I have a strong belief the were topping off captain morgan with admiral...

Mike
05-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Surprised a certain bar in trenton wasnt on the list. I have a strong belief the were topping off captain morgan with admiral...

Which?

deadtrend1
05-22-2013, 07:58 PM
Which?

Championship

Mike
05-22-2013, 08:16 PM
Lol

1320B4U
05-22-2013, 08:43 PM
Just got home from work at the atf central jersey bureau....man i'm blitz...think i impregnated a midget on the way home...such is life.

NastyEllEssWon
05-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Championship

lol nah you wont get that lucky, theyll just down some water in there :D

NHRABill
05-23-2013, 12:04 AM
Glad they have their priorities straight...

Everything else is in the crapper but lets make sure the alcoholics get drunk faster when they go to the bar.

What next lowering the DUI limit so one top shelf drink will put ya over so they can arrest you and take your car. :facepalm:

NastyEllEssWon
05-23-2013, 01:57 AM

Everything else is in the crapper but lets make sure the alcoholics get drunk faster when they go to the bar.

What next lowering the DUI limit so one top shelf drink will put ya over so they can arrest you and take your car. :facepalm:

its not about getting drunk faster, its about being given lesser quality merchandise than youre being led to purchasing. theres a reason someone would order a grey goose mixed drink over one made with some low shelf absolut or worse...more expensive booze doesnt get you drunk quicker, it just tastes better :D

Mike
05-23-2013, 07:04 AM

Wtf? This is the equivalent of putting regular in the premium tanks and charging you for premium. Not about increasing potentcy. These businesses are literally stealing from their customers.

sweetbmxrider
05-23-2013, 07:21 AM

Triple quoteeeeeeee They are talking about lowering the national BAC limit to .05. Have a good dave!

greenformula92
05-23-2013, 08:16 AM
I just saw this on the news. I am not saying it surprises me but it definitely sucks. Those places rape people for drinks anyway. Up to and including beer.

WildBillyT
05-23-2013, 08:35 AM
its not about getting drunk faster, its about being given lesser quality merchandise than youre being led to purchasing. theres a reason someone would order a grey goose mixed drink over one made with some low shelf absolut or worse...more expensive booze doesnt get you drunk quicker, it just tastes better :D

This is exactly why this **** can go on, too.

1 shot of Grey Goose, 4 oz of cranberry? Really?

All that aside, Mike pretty much nailed it. It's like paying for premium and having somebody pump you regular.

Z28 Heritage
05-23-2013, 09:23 AM
This is exactly why this **** can go on, too.

1 shot of Grey Goose, 4 oz of cranberry? Really?

All that aside, Mike pretty much nailed it. It's like paying for premium and having somebody pump you regular.That's not really possible in today's world of pumping gas unless the Gas Station connects the Premium lines to the regular tank. And that in it self is not really possible just saying... :nick:

Featherburner
05-23-2013, 09:38 AM
That's not really possible in today's world of pumping gas unless the Gas Station connects the Premium lines to the regular tank. And that in it self is not really possible just saying... :nick:Is filling the premium tank with regular possible?

Z28 Heritage
05-23-2013, 09:45 AM
Is filling the premium tank with regular possible?Its possible but that would mean the fuel delivery company was in on it and getting some kick backs. You would either have to be doing this from day 1 when that Gas Station opens or when the Premium tank runs dry they would fill it with regular. Still not really possible but i have heard story's of Gas stations putting water in there tanks but even then its not really possible because most gas stations get state people to come out and inspect.

Mike
05-23-2013, 09:56 AM
You mean like gas stations getting aviation fuel and still selling it until someone caught on? Everything is possible and they will try as hard as they can to get away with anything they can.

No pro athletes are on peds because they test too right?

sweetbmxrider
05-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Holy **** it was an example for comparison sakes :facepalm:

You don't think someone could **** up along the line and end up putting the wrong grade in the wrong tank unknowingly? You think weights and measures are for fun? You realize this **** does happen without you knowing a thing about it?

Z28 Heritage
05-23-2013, 10:46 AM
Holy **** it was an example for comparison sakes :facepalm:

You don't think someone could **** up along the line and end up putting the wrong grade in the wrong tank unknowingly? You think weights and measures are for fun? You realize this **** does happen without you knowing a thing about it?You could be right i don't know i'm just saying from my point of view being a Gas guy at Wawa and saw the daily workings of a gas station. I honestly don't think they can put the wrong grade into a tank. From talking to the Fuel delivery guys that drive rigs and fill the tanks its not really possible. In one tanker there is 3 seperate tanks 2 with regular fuel and one with premium and they go in there tanks under ground. It would happen if it was a noob maybe but even then unlikely for the fact of training.

Z28 Heritage
05-23-2013, 10:50 AM
You mean like gas stations getting aviation fuel and still selling it until someone caught on? Everything is possible and they will try as hard as they can to get away with anything they can.

No pro athletes are on peds because they test too right?Gas stations filling cars with Aviation fuel would be also the fault of the company selling gas to the station to let them happen so there are 2 company's at fault there. Everyone wants more profit but how the US Government has its hands in everything i guess its possible one or two slipped past there greedy finger tips.

sweetbmxrider
05-23-2013, 10:58 AM
You could be right i don't know i'm just saying from my point of view being a Gas guy at Wawa and saw the daily workings of a gas station. I honestly don't think they can put the wrong grade into a tank. From talking to the Fuel delivery guys that drive rigs and fill the tanks its not really possible. In one tanker there is 3 seperate tanks 2 with regular fuel and one with premium and they go in there tanks under ground. It would happen if it was a noob maybe but even then unlikely for the fact of training.

Right. You also have someone who fills the tankers who can **** up or a driver who doesn't give a **** and doesn't pay attention to what is going where. I've seen enough **** to expect everything possible happen. Hell, someone could switch around the tank caps and no one would be the wiser.

Featherburner
05-23-2013, 11:01 AM
You could be right i don't know i'm just saying from my point of view being a Gas guy at Wawa and saw the daily workings of a gas station. I honestly don't think they can put the wrong grade into a tank. From talking to the Fuel delivery guys that drive rigs and fill the tanks its not really possible. In one tanker there is 3 seperate tanks 2 with regular fuel and one with premium and they go in there tanks under ground. It would happen if it was a noob maybe but even then unlikely for the fact of training.It happens all the time. Through shiftlessness or deception.

1320B4U
05-23-2013, 11:29 AM
There was an expose' on news12 a few weeks ago about some stations wrongly pricing the gas per gallon at the pump virus what is stipulated on the sign....going as far as not zero'ing out the cost when the pump started or hitting credit when people are paying cash (attendents)..crazy things can happen.

V
05-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Im sorry, but I just have to chime in...

Established chain stations like wawa are not the places that would knowingly defraud customers...

Its smaller owner operated stations that are the most likely to rip people off on purpose. They get the direct profits. And an owner can have a gas delivery truck fill any tank with whatever they want for the most part. We'd pay about 10k cash for our deliveries back in 1999/2000 and we'd order what we needed and have tanks filled which we told him. We were always on the level though.

And back then when I was working as a mechanic, the station across the street would take the regular hose(to fill cars with) and stick it in the "premium" ground tank and let the hose sit for a long time "filling" it up. Then the next day they'd get a delivery of more regular poured into the regular tank. My point, as others have said, It DOES happen. The world is not inhabited by honest people, sorry to tell you.

LTb1ow
05-23-2013, 12:48 PM
Oh you, shush.

The world is full of honest, happy people.

sweetbmxrider
05-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Established chain stations like wawa are not the places that would knowingly defraud customers...

You mean like Fridays wouldn't fill their premium liquor bottles with cheaper alcohol? :nick: Come on now, that **** goes on at every level of society. The big cats are the ones that usually commit the worst, greed is ugly. Sure, there are innocent parties at all levels as well. That also goes for scum bags. Don't be so ignorant and trusting. 8-)

LTb1ow
05-23-2013, 12:59 PM
You mean like Fridays wouldn't fill their premium liquor bottles with cheaper alcohol? :nick: Come on now, that **** goes on at every level of society. The big cats are the ones that usually commit the worst, greed is ugly. Sure, there are innocent parties at all levels as well. That also goes for scum bags. Don't be so ignorant and trusting. 8-)

So, what you are saying is that jenks is a upstanding and trustworthy place as I know full well that I am drinking rubbing alcohol?

sweetbmxrider
05-23-2013, 01:08 PM
So, what you are saying is that jenks is a upstanding and trustworthy place as I know full well that I am drinking rubbing alcohol?

$1 Bar Drinks does not equal $XX Premium Cocktails bro.

V
05-23-2013, 01:22 PM

i was reffering to gas fraud lol alcohol is another matter...perhaps someone should start a thread about that..

Mike
05-23-2013, 02:52 PM
Most stations are franchised with individual owners no matter what sign is hanging... The issues around here have all been Mobil and Exxon recently wit the exception of the av gas which was bp

Jersey Mike
05-23-2013, 02:55 PM
Jesus, it was a simple example to put this in more relate-able terms for consumers. :datderail: And this is why we can't have nice things.

NastyEllEssWon
05-23-2013, 03:12 PM
lol @ this become a debate if gas screw ups can actually happen or do happen when it was just a simple analogy.

honestly happy that I havent frequented any of these places on the lists. i wonder if its possible for frequent customers, like dudes that go out to fridays every weekend after work with the crew, to possibly try to get reimbursed on some of their old credit card tabs :D

V
05-23-2013, 03:13 PM
like a class action lawsuit... hmm that would be interesting.

Jersey Mike
05-23-2013, 03:40 PM
That would be out of hand. Just move on. The names of the establishments have been dragged through the mud and they'll lose business. That's sufficient. We don't need a gungho lawyer trying to make headlines with another frivolous lawsuit, demanding reparations for a sacrifice in quality of life via fraud or some BS.

I'd be PISSED if I got called to jury duty for some BS like that.

NastyEllEssWon
05-23-2013, 05:07 PM
That would be out of hand. Just move on. The names of the establishments have been dragged through the mud and they'll lose business. That's sufficient. We don't need a gungho lawyer trying to make headlines with another frivolous lawsuit, demanding reparations for a sacrifice in quality of life via fraud or some BS.

I'd be PISSED if I got called to jury duty for some BS like that.

nope they were ripped off and should receive compensation. this isnt something that should be allowed to let ''slide''. I think if you can prove through credit card receipts that youve done some premium drinking at these places that you should be reimbursed for your money. hell some of those tabs can easily get rung up to 2-300 bucks a night with the right group...thats not laughing matters money either.

for the record a court case like this wouldnt have a jury. it would be presided over through either a judge or a legal mediator

Mike
05-23-2013, 05:26 PM
nope they were ripped off and should receive compensation. this isnt something that should be allowed to let ''slide''. I think if you can prove through credit card receipts that youve done some premium drinking at these places that you should be reimbursed for your money. hell some of those tabs can easily get rung up to 2-300 bucks a night with the right group...thats not laughing matters money either.

for the record a court case like this wouldnt have a jury. it would be presided over through either a judge or a legal mediator

Civil court has juries.

NastyEllEssWon
05-23-2013, 11:37 PM
Civil court has juries.

lol youll be hard pressed to find a company like TGI Fridays that wouldnt waive their rights to jury in fear of being hit for extremely high damages. judges usually are a bit more fairer in that department, since the average jury emotions can run high when dealing out fair damages :D

1320B4U
05-24-2013, 08:34 AM
The establishments should just lose their liquor license per location...simple as that..that'll hit 'em hard.

Teds89IROC
05-24-2013, 09:58 AM
Holy ****, a simple, point driven thread (I read that article yesterday too) turned to pure "idiocracy" :doh:

Dudbird113
05-24-2013, 01:00 PM
^nah

NHRABill
05-24-2013, 08:14 PM
Wow this post just went all sorts of crazy...

To the gas example:
Remember the Hess station on route 1 right after Sandy hit was pushing diesel into the regular tank so people received a mix. My neighbor and his wife called me up stuck on the highway both cars died newer Lincoln and his f150 had them towed gave them a ride home and later found they pumped diesel mix all costs were covered and paid for by the station owner

http://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.ssf/2012/11/hess_gas_mixup_in_new_brunswic.html

LTb1ow
05-25-2013, 09:17 AM
Wow this post just went all sorts of crazy...

To the gas example:
Remember the Hess station on route 1 right after Sandy hit was pushing diesel into the regular tank so people received a mix. My neighbor and his wife called me up stuck on the highway both cars died newer Lincoln and his f150 had them towed gave them a ride home and later found they pumped diesel mix all costs were covered and paid for by the station owner

http://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.ssf/2012/11/hess_gas_mixup_in_new_brunswic.html

Same thing happened to my mom, got a tank full of water from a station that either did not know or choose not to know.

They covered the tow and fixed the car, no need to go sue happy cause of some stupid ****ing sense of entitlement.

NastyEllEssWon
05-25-2013, 04:44 PM
Same thing happened to my mom, got a tank full of water from a station that either did not know or choose not to know.

They covered the tow and fixed the car, no need to go sue happy cause of some stupid ****ing sense of entitlement.

yeah getting what you paid for is entitlement at its finest.... :shock:

LTb1ow
05-25-2013, 04:45 PM
yeah getting what you paid for is entitlement at its finest.... :shock:

No, if it was an honest mistake by the station and they went out of their way to fix the issue at hand, why the flying **** are you deserving to sue them for money?

NastyEllEssWon
05-25-2013, 05:13 PM
No, if it was an honest mistake by the station and they went out of their way to fix the issue at hand, why the flying **** are you deserving to sue them for money?

(hypothetically in that situation) my car wasnt broken before hand. i dont want it fixed because now i have a car that has been broken leaving me with a car that has a less desirable history than the one i previously had. the only way to rectify that situation is to reimburse me for money that im going to lose in the future for settling on keeping a car with a tainted history...as opposed to the car that was in flawless working order and has been its entire life before being screwed up by the offender.

LTb1ow
05-25-2013, 05:23 PM
And thats whats wrong with this country.

NastyEllEssWon
05-25-2013, 06:02 PM

nope simple rules. you broke my car which wasnt broken. now i want a car of equal value (never been broken) or my car fixed, which is now worth less and cash reimbursement of the rest of the value of my car which youve defaced. it would be the same thing if someone dented a screen door on your house...are you gonna let him pound out the dent and call it a day...no, youre going to want a door thats not dented in.

WildBillyT
05-25-2013, 07:32 PM
nope simple rules. you broke my car which wasnt broken. now i want a car of equal value (never been broken) or my car fixed, which is now worth less and cash reimbursement of the rest of the value of my car which youve defaced. it would be the same thing if someone dented a screen door on your house...are you gonna let him pound out the dent and call it a day...no, youre going to want a door thats not dented in.

In this case if they nuked the fuel system and replaced it with new parts it's in better shape than it was.

V
05-26-2013, 10:19 AM
No one paid to replace my engine when the shell station in Hawthorne gave ME a diesel mix...

sweetbmxrider
05-27-2013, 08:30 AM

I'm guessing you've never had a car repaired after an accident :bertstare:

NastyEllEssWon
05-27-2013, 12:56 PM
I'm guessing you've never had a car repaired after an accident :bertstare:

only once did i have a car that was in an accident. i repaired it then sold it immediately. i dont want to own a car of mine anymore after someone else ruins it for me. i'd rather just cut my losses and move on. its tainted now.

sweetbmxrider
05-27-2013, 06:35 PM
only once did i have a car that was in an accident. i repaired it then sold it immediately. i dont want to own a car of mine anymore after someone else ruins it for me. i'd rather just cut my losses and move on. its tainted now.

I'd feel just a little more comfortable knowing it was repaired at a licensed auto collision facility than say your driveway. I gotta admit though, after I drive a car for 3000 miles, I sell it. I don't want to own a car that has been repaired and maintained. Oil changes are disgusting on a vehicle's history report. Shout out to #CARFOX @CARFAX

jam01
05-28-2013, 07:01 AM
having been in both businesses at some point in my life i know how easy it is to deceive customers. on the alcohol side of it, the bar i worked had a speed rack, i would keep my cheaper alcohol to the left side of me and work to the right. while i personally would not deceive customers it would be and is easy to do, if you like rum and coke and that is how you ask for it you will be getting the cheap stuff. now if you ask for a Bacardi and coke and you get the cheap stuff, you are being ripped off. the distillery process is supposed to be more refined for the more expensive alcohol, which comes out in the taste. i understand these owners where switching alcohol's to increase there profits, lets say on any bottle you make 300% profit and by switching you are now making 600% that is a lot. and just so you guys know that is almost an accurate figure, well it was for the bar i worked, it is probably higher now.
and as far as the gas goes we are and have been getting ripped off for many years. when i was young i can remember seeing the gas truck with the logo on the side delivering gas to the same station. now all you see is a blank truck delivering who knows what. while they may be putting super in the right tank, that super may not be so super. like alcohol it comes to the refining process.

Slow-V6
05-28-2013, 09:11 AM
Wow. Villaris Lakeside is on there! Thats a high end type resturant anyways!

redsoxsstink
05-28-2013, 07:21 PM
http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/05/rubbing_alcohol_as_scotch_nj_o.html

just an update on the news.
dirty water and rubbing alcohol! i almost dont want to turn 21 and go to the bars lol

NastyEllEssWon
05-28-2013, 07:38 PM

lol under the light of the new circumstances im pretty sure companies ripping people off and serving rubbing alcohol and dirty water are pretty much whats wrong with this country. the funny thing is that you try to defend these people by saying they dont deserve to be sued....im pretty sure that lawsuit now is looking pretty damned justified. lawsuits dont just protect consumers and reimburse them for their troubles but they also serve as a warning to other businesses that if they try to pull this crap, they wont be slapped on the wrist, like you think they should be.

WildBillyT
05-28-2013, 07:41 PM
The establishments should just lose their liquor license per location...simple as that..that'll hit 'em hard.

Best possible outcome.

sweetbmxrider
05-28-2013, 08:06 PM
lol under the light of the new circumstances im pretty sure companies ripping people off and serving rubbing alcohol and dirty water are pretty much whats wrong with this country. the funny thing is that you try to defend these people by saying they dont deserve to be sued....im pretty sure that lawsuit now is looking pretty damned justified. lawsuits dont just protect consumers and reimburse them for their troubles but they also serve as a warning to other businesses that if they try to pull this crap, they wont be slapped on the wrist, like you think they should be.

Out of context, I would agree with you. In the presented context, AN HONEST MISTAKE, I disagree. **** happens, everyone ****s up. Do right to correct it and all is well. Purposely screwing someone over for any gain is not ok and should have just consequences. If a bartender poured you a coors light instead of a bud light, you would sue them because in your eyes what you ordered has now been tainted? If you ordered a gin and tonic and was given a glass of piss, well yeah I would be pretty upset as well.

NastyEllEssWon
05-28-2013, 08:18 PM
Out of context, I would agree with you. In the presented context, AN HONEST MISTAKE, I disagree. **** happens, everyone ****s up. Do right to correct it and all is well. Purposely screwing someone over for any gain is not ok and should have just consequences. If a bartender poured you a coors light instead of a bud light, you would sue them because in your eyes what you ordered has now been tainted? If you ordered a gin and tonic and was given a glass of piss, well yeah I would be pretty upset as well.

there was no honest mistake here, even from the start without the new information. this was a statewide sweep of businesses that were purposely giving lesser quality merchandise for what the customers were ordering. thats wrong and there should be consequences for those actions...especially for some people that frequent some establishments like fridays on a weekly basis and has probably overpaid quite considerably over time.

sweetbmxrider
05-29-2013, 07:10 AM
there was no honest mistake here, even from the start without the new information. this was a statewide sweep of businesses that were purposely giving lesser quality merchandise for what the customers were ordering. thats wrong and there should be consequences for those actions...especially for some people that frequent some establishments like fridays on a weekly basis and has probably overpaid quite considerably over time.

Your comprehension skills have gone way of your love for gm. Go back to page 2 where Matt speaks about an honest mistake and you get on your soapbox. Become aware. We all grow.

ThoR294
06-19-2013, 11:30 AM
I wish someone would hit my rear bumper so I could get my rear repainted... bumper is kinda gray

or get a mix poured into my tank so I get a brandie new rebuilt fuel system :)

My mom and I recently got gas at the quik check on rt 31 in hopewell/pennington (on harburton road) and we both had hesitations... My car stalled and threw a P0100 Cam Position sensor code.

This happened at a half tank of gas... went and filled it up at hess in ringoes, no issues now.

SHOULD I SUE THEM FOR MY CEL BEING ON AND STALLING!?>!?!?