PDA

View Full Version : question for any residential hvac guys

2kblackgtp
06-08-2013, 01:51 AM
So I just bought my first house and I really want to get the heating and cooling system together in my head so I know what to plan on. Currently, the house has radiant heat which I plan to keep. However, its run by oil which seems to be very expensive compared to natural gas. I have a 275gal tank in the basement with a pretty much brand new williamson OSB 4 boiler. Considering I already have natural gas in the house, I would like to convert over. Is it possible for me to use the existing boiler/convert it over for gas? If so, anyone have any idea how much that would cost for parts? I'm assuming a 3/4" sched 40 tie in for the natural gas would suffice flow wise? Is it a requirement I have someone certified remove the oil tank or can I cut it up and remove it myself after ive emptied/ flushed the tank?

As for ac, I'm stuck with window units this year, but in the next year or two id like to install something a bit more efficient and quiet. Considering the main level was just redone, I would hate to cut the sheetrock up running ducting for central air and don't know how bad vibration would be having the air handler in the attic of my 1913 built home. With that being said, ive been looking into the ductless mini split systems. My basement is unfinished so I'd run the lines up through there and would want to cool my living room, kitchen, and 2 bedrooms which I expect will help cool other rooms by use of the ceiling fans I already have.. Is there any reason I should not consider doing this or should opt for another setup? What brands should I look into for reliability, price, and ease of install. I plan to do most of the work myself save for running the 220v service and charging the system up once complete.

Thanks, and sorry for the novel

The_Bishop
06-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Converting an oil fired to natural gas is usually expensive and not very efficient. You are probably better served changing the boiler.

The size of the gas pipe depends on the BTU load, the length of the run, etc. It can be a bit complicated to figure out. If you're adding to existing plumbing, you need to be sure that the existing piping is sized to carry the BTU load of everything on that run.

Those ductless mini systems are *expensive*. I looked into them myself. By the time you buy, set up, wire, etc. you will be close to the same cost as central. It all depends on how big the house is, insulation levels, how many windows/doors.

stoney2677
06-08-2013, 12:46 PM
A gas gun conversion kit is around $700 or so. If the boiler is somewhat new thats the way I would go. If you're going to do ductless units use only Mitsubishi. You'll find lower prices on other brands but believe me, the savings isn't worth the crap ya get.

Camaro67_rcl
06-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Look into Fujitsu mini splits for heating & cooling

http://www.fujitsugeneral.com/hfi_feat_sm.htm

1320B4U
06-10-2013, 02:54 PM
I just got my 275 gallon tank replaced last week..i know a great tank guy that will cut up and remove. Need to dispose of old oil separately and wipe old tank clean and that needs to be disposed of at the proper facility...plus proper documentation to the town for the removal of the tank (depending on town and requirements of course)..pm me if you want his number.

JSPERFORMANCE
06-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Stoney and 67rcl are both very knowledgeable HVAC pros. You would be wise to take whatever advice they may offer.