PDA

View Full Version : So here it is: Cruze Diesel

BigAls87Z28
07-08-2013, 02:42 PM
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f70/gmis-chevrolet-cruze-diesel-challenge-120713/#post2748601

Hit the link for more and what I'll be doing with it. I figured I'd come out of hiding for a bit to share it with you, as I promised a few of you that I would give you a heads up when it came in for review.

WildBillyT
07-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Al,

Thanks for sharing. Any word on longevity (or alternatively: has this been out in other countries for a while)?

I am going diesel for my next car and was only half-considering the cruze because it seems too new.

LTb1ow
07-08-2013, 02:56 PM
How bad will the emissions equipment cost to replace when it clogs up and how fast will it go through urea?

I think its a Italian diesel correct? IE not a brand new design, but something that has been proven.

If this car platform works, will GM entertain the idea of bring the diesel colarado to the states to compete with proposed Dodge and maybe Ford small frame diesel trucks?

WildBillyT
07-08-2013, 03:02 PM
How bad will the emissions equipment cost to replace when it clogs up and how fast will it go through urea?

I think its a Italian diesel correct? IE not a brand new design, but something that has been proven.

If this car platform works, will GM entertain the idea of bring the diesel colarado to the states to compete with proposed Dodge and maybe Ford small frame diesel trucks?

I had heard different things about where they are sourcing the powertrain from. Isuzu was another one? :nick:

LTb1ow
07-08-2013, 03:11 PM
I had heard different things about where they are sourcing the powertrain from. Isuzu was another one? :nick:

As long as GM did not do this in house, I would feel confident about it working out well for them

sweetbmxrider
07-08-2013, 06:44 PM
Very cool, want a gopro?

BigAls87Z28
07-08-2013, 06:45 PM
It's a joint venture called VM Motori. It's made in Germany, but it's been around in Opel's for a while.

LTb1ow
07-08-2013, 10:44 PM
It's a joint venture called VM Motori. It's made in Germany, but it's been around in Opel's for a while.

So will GM plan on buying them out once they are proven like the DMAX facility?

BigAls87Z28
07-09-2013, 04:56 PM
Maybe if they have a ton of success with the Cruze, and every GM car gets one.

BigAls87Z28
07-10-2013, 12:30 AM
Al,

Thanks for sharing. Any word on longevity (or alternatively: has this been out in other countries for a while)?

I am going diesel for my next car and was only half-considering the cruze because it seems too new.

Longevity as in how it will last? I know I kinda touched on it before, but this engine has been around for GM for a while. It's actually ridiculed in Europe for being go fuel-hungry IIRC.

Cruze is going to be four years old soon, and there is an all-new one on the horizon.

Millions of dollars, if not billions.

If the Cruze TD sells more than the 5% projected, which is about what VW sells of Jetta sedans, then the doors will open to more diesel powered cars.

Ford nor Dodge have plans to bring over or make midsized trucks. The Colorado will be Americanized, but I would assume that GM would not look to sales numbers of the Cruze TD as an indicator to make diesel trucks.
The question is cost. Are you willing to spend 35k on a Colorado Diesel, or pick up a decently laid out Silverado with the new 5.3?

So will GM plan on buying them out once they are proven like the DMAX facility?

No. VM Motori SpA. is made up of GM, Fiat, and Roger Penske, but something tells me Roger sold his part to Fiat...

LTb1ow
07-10-2013, 08:19 AM
A minimax over a 5.3?

yes, in a heartbeat

V
07-10-2013, 09:03 AM
So now I can fuel up my Cruze with what I put in my Dodge Ram? sweet...

NastyEllEssWon
07-10-2013, 01:57 PM
what are the cost of these compared to the VW TDI's?

WildBillyT
07-10-2013, 04:12 PM
Should have named the article Cruzin' USA.

sweetbmxrider
07-11-2013, 07:24 AM
Have some green Bill

BigAls87Z28
07-11-2013, 07:55 AM
what are the cost of these compared to the VW TDI's?

VW offers a Jetta TDI in several trims while Chevy only offers it in a LTZ package. This Cruze is a "base" diesel with heated leather seats, 7 inch color touch screen with MyLink, 4 wheel disk brakes, and a few more add ons.

If you built a Jetta TDI with similar options, it's about the same price.