PDA

View Full Version : thinking about a new daily...

greenformula92
11-25-2013, 01:17 PM
Ok guys so I'm in the market to replace the Subaru. I was thinking about a truck at first but my commute is a little large and more mpgs would be nice. I'm thinking about a Cruze Diesel. Has anyone heard anything bad or good about them that doesn't get written about? I'm sure All knows something lol

V
11-25-2013, 01:32 PM
The cruze I had wasn't bad at all(2011 gasoline) and it did its job great for 3 years. no real issues. was comfortable and useful. however it did lack the fun factor somewhat. but if u don't care about that in a dd then that's a non-issue. when my cruze became my only car i started to resent it. that lead to an early trade in of it prior to the end of the lease just to get rid of it.

LTb1ow
11-25-2013, 01:53 PM
AFAIK, the engine is not new so there doesn't seem to be any new build pains with it.

BigAls87Z28
11-25-2013, 03:47 PM
It's loud. Louder than a Duramax. That, and the transmission is something that you are going to have to get used to. I haven't driven a modern Jetta TDI with an auto, so I can't compare it too much, but those were my only real draw backs with the Cruze CDI.

Cruze Eco or Sonic Turbo might be other ideas for you and I would also seriously look at the new Mazda 3. I was in awe when I sat in one this week in LA. Great interior, fantastic design, and great numbers. If it drives like it looks, I don't know why anyone would buy anything else in its class.

WayFast84
11-25-2013, 04:01 PM
If I needed a sensible new car today I'd look at Mazda 6 ' first. You can probably get a used cruze eco for cheap though.

LTb1ow
11-25-2013, 04:28 PM
It's loud. Louder than a Duramax. That, and the transmission is something that you are going to have to get used to. I haven't driven a modern Jetta TDI with an auto, so I can't compare it too much, but those were my only real draw backs with the Cruze CDI.

Cruze Eco or Sonic Turbo might be other ideas for you and I would also seriously look at the new Mazda 3. I was in awe when I sat in one this week in LA. Great interior, fantastic design, and great numbers. If it drives like it looks, I don't know why anyone would buy anything else in its class.

Its an auto standard compared to the TDI which comes with a manual standard right?

And you serious bout loud?

WildBillyT
11-25-2013, 05:01 PM
Its an auto standard compared to the TDI which comes with a manual standard right?

TDIs are 6 speed manual standard. TDI will be a 6 speed DSG vs 6 speed regular auto in a gas car.

How large is a "large" commute?

LTb1ow
11-25-2013, 05:56 PM
I do about 400 a week, would that justify a TDI WBT?

WildBillyT
11-25-2013, 06:39 PM
I do about 400 a week, would that justify a TDI WBT?

Not sure if SRS, but if so:

Yes. I am the same and my fuel bills are much easier to deal with now. Just gotta get good quality diesel. Not to mention the side benefit of not having to fuel that extra time each week. That's an hour over the course of a month. With the 2012+ TDIs you will have to add wizard piss every 10,000 miles (at every oil change). No big deal.

LTb1ow
11-25-2013, 06:44 PM
Not sure if SRS, but if so:

Yes. I am the same and my fuel bills are much easier to deal with now. Just gotta get good quality diesel. Not to mention the side benefit of not having to fuel that extra time each week. That's an hour over the course of a month. With the 2012+ TDIs you will have to add wizard piss every 10,000 miles (at every oil change). No big deal.

Yea, sorry for the hijack but same premise as OP.

My commute is strictly highway too.

WildBillyT
11-25-2013, 06:46 PM
Yea, sorry for the hijack but same premise as OP.

My commute is strictly highway too.

Yeah, like I said in the other thread I'm 95% highway and get an average somewhere between 42 and 46 every day.

ThoR294
11-25-2013, 10:36 PM
I want a new DD... my G5 is lame.

I heard good things about the cruze diesel... depends on what you want out of your DD.

greenformula92
11-26-2013, 11:06 PM
TDIs are 6 speed manual standard. TDI will be a 6 speed DSG vs 6 speed regular auto in a gas car.

How large is a "large" commute?

80 a day round trip.

TDI is not even an option for me....I HATE Volkswagen lol

As far as what I want out of DD. MPG, reliability, and the ability to last past it being paid off since I do at least 21000 a year. Not counting weeks I have 6 days or any other driving other than going to work

BigAls87Z28
11-28-2013, 03:22 AM

Cruze CDI has the six-speed Aisin automatic from the global market as the only transmission available for the car.

It's loud on the outside but once you're inside, you will hardly notice it.

LTb1ow
11-28-2013, 08:03 AM
Cruze CDI has the six-speed Aisin automatic from the global market as the only transmission available for the car.

It's loud on the outside but once you're inside, you will hardly notice it.

I drive a duramax, noise wouldn't matter to me.

WildBillyT
11-28-2013, 09:21 AM
80 a day round trip.

TDI is not even an option for me....I HATE Volkswagen lol

As far as what I want out of DD. MPG, reliability, and the ability to last past it being paid off since I do at least 21000 a year. Not counting weeks I have 6 days or any other driving other than going to work

Then the Cruze is really your only diesel option, and that makes your decision. Unless you are going to go luxury German.

greenformula92
11-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Then the Cruze is really your only diesel option, and that makes your decision. Unless you are going to go luxury German.

The cuze is very much in my price range. I was asking about the diesel because its somewhat new. If someone said there was huge problems with the diesels then I would look at gas models of any make and model.

It definitely doesn't phase me that its a little loud. I like that clanky sound. As long as its not louder than the kenworth I drive everyday its fine lol

LTb1ow
11-28-2013, 12:29 PM
The cuze is very much in my price range. I was asking about the diesel because its somewhat new. If someone said there was huge problems with the diesels then I would look at gas models of any make and model.

It definitely doesn't phase me that its a little loud. I like that clanky sound. As long as its not louder than the kenworth I drive everyday its fine lol

Like I said, new for USA, but the engine is not new. Already used outside of the USA. Al can confirm that one for me.

NJ Torque
11-28-2013, 12:43 PM

haha.

BigAls87Z28
11-28-2013, 08:40 PM

It's louder than the last DMax 3500 I had two years ago and louder than any full sized diesel truck I've been near.

Like I said, new for USA, but the engine is not new. Already used outside of the USA. Al can confirm that one for me.

Right, the 2.0 diesel engine was picked because it offered the most power with fuel economy numbers close to the Jetta TDI.

You could go Cruze Eco with the six-speed manual, but you don't get the four wheel disk brakes like Diesel.

Or you could go Focus ST...but that gets pricey quickly.

qwikz28
11-28-2013, 10:03 PM
I think the Cruze would be my choice as well, but I have an oddball suggestion. I saw a Suzuki Kizashi on the road the other day, and looked them up on Autotrader. Lighly used examples are going for 10-12k. Suzuki has obviously left the US market, but I believe parts are still available and warranties are still honored (don't quote me on that). I remember reading they drive quite well, and I, personally, think they are handsome little vehicles. Owners on Fuelly are registering as high as 30+mpg on a tank.

greenformula92
11-30-2013, 09:07 AM
Just test drove a cruze diesel and it is definitely perfect for what I am looking for. Now to see if I can strike a deal

88WS-6
12-07-2013, 09:19 AM
I think the Cruze would be my choice as well, but I have an oddball suggestion. I saw a Suzuki Kizashi on the road the other day, and looked them up on Autotrader. Lighly used examples are going for 10-12k. Suzuki has obviously left the US market, but I believe parts are still available and warranties are still honored (don't quote me on that). I remember reading they drive quite well, and I, personally, think they are handsome little vehicles. Owners on Fuelly are registering as high as 30+mpg on a tank.

My 2011 Sport GTS 6-speed gets 28.5mpg. The CVT autos get in the 30's and have available AWD but CVT = :barf: