PDA

View Full Version : computer question (home networking)

V
12-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Not sure if this is possible... but can i setup up my desktop and laptop in such a way so that i can use my laptop to control my desktop? like somehow duplicate the desktop "desktop" on my laptop and use it as if i was sitting at my desktop? does this make sense to anyone even? lol. Goal is... desktop is hooked up to tv through hdmi and will be used to stream tv shows and movies. however id like to sit on couch and control it, basically using my laptop as a remote. makes better sense now?

deadtrend1
12-04-2013, 06:23 PM
i've used this many years ago with success. I can only imagine its way better these days ...

http://us.norton.com/symantec-pcanywhere

Ok i just checked, and I have the version 9 install. I could send it to you somehow and you can give it a shot. The folder is 16 megs.

Tru2Chevy
12-04-2013, 06:38 PM
Easy with VNC - http://www.realvnc.com/

You could use your laptop, as well as any iOS / Android devices as well.

- Justin

sweetbmxrider
12-04-2013, 08:09 PM
Can't you make a homegroup and just share whatever files you want between the computers? You won't see your desktop as is, but you'll have access to any files and folders you give to it.

PolarBear
12-04-2013, 08:19 PM
If they are windows machines, need to be set up with usernames and passwords
start -> run -> mstsc -> put in IP of other computer

/thread

ThoR294
12-04-2013, 08:23 PM
teamviewer is my buddy

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

ThoR294
12-04-2013, 08:24 PM
If they are windows machines, need to be set up with usernames and passwords
start -> run -> mstsc -> put in IP of other computer

/thread

if you are out of the network, you have to configure the router for RDP and such if I remember properly... teamviewer is way easier :P

PolarBear
12-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Ehh, I've used everything listed and the built in one is still the best if it is Microsoft

methdmx
12-04-2013, 08:49 PM
The free version of LogMeIn is the easiest to use IMO.

qwikz28
12-04-2013, 08:49 PM
I use Chrome Desktop app on my laptops to control my work desktop. Works flawlessly as far as I can tell, but I'm going to try the one Justin posted up about so I can use my tablet as well.

Edit: By the way, Chrome Desktop is completely free.

V
12-05-2013, 08:41 AM
Can't you make a homegroup and just share whatever files you want between the computers? You won't see your desktop as is, but you'll have access to any files and folders you give to it.

i already have that but since my hdtv is a monitor output of my desktop, in order to control videos on it, i need to control the actual desktop

im gonna check out all the other options mentioned

WildBillyT
12-05-2013, 08:57 AM
LOL.

Straight up RDS. I do it every day so I don't have to walk to our server room.

Will be faster than third party tools- I've used everything listed here.

sweetbmxrider
12-05-2013, 10:30 AM
i already have that but since my hdtv is a monitor output of my desktop, in order to control videos on it, i need to control the actual desktop

im gonna check out all the other options mentioned

Ohhh I misunderstood then.

NastyEllEssWon
12-05-2013, 06:38 PM
homegroup network like bear said, i have my network setup like this and it takes literally 5 minutes to setup a group through the built in windows networking options. on a side note....why not just get a wireless keyboard and mouse :D

V
12-07-2013, 08:38 PM
Well i figured out something different... I just downloaded the app for my PS3, and now i can stream all the videos much easier. lol