PDA

View Full Version : Home Electricians

LTb1ow
02-15-2014, 10:00 AM
Need a new breaker panel installed, and since the electric company won't work with unlicensed me, gotta play by the rules.

Anyone know a decently priced lead?

PolarBear
02-15-2014, 10:08 AM
Phil? aka //<86TA>\\ :kneeslap:

BonzoHansen
02-15-2014, 10:24 AM
Phil will do it right assuming he has time.

Featherburner
02-15-2014, 11:53 AM
What do you mean the electrical company won't work with you?

BonzoHansen
02-15-2014, 11:55 AM
technically a new box needs to be inspected as well.

and while you are there maybe add a whole house surge suppressor

LTb1ow
02-15-2014, 01:39 PM
What do you mean the electrical company won't work with you?

I have a 60amp service and federal pacific breaker panels so I want 150amp service and new panel.

That means electric company needs a licensed electrician to do the work etc. They won't turn off the service for the switch if its just me AFAIK.

BonzoHansen
02-15-2014, 01:43 PM
you need a new line from the pole then too, no? IIRC when I bumped from 100 to 200 i think that was required.

I dunno, paying someone to do it isn't that much. beats killing your self or burning the house down. and they probably get it done in one day.

Featherburner
02-15-2014, 01:53 PM
I have a 60amp service and federal pacific breaker panels so I want 150amp service and new panel.

That means electric company needs a licensed electrician to do the work etc. They won't turn off the service for the switch if its just me AFAIK.Check with your township permit office.

V
02-15-2014, 01:56 PM
homeowner should be able to do the work but might just be easier to hire. however do not think it'll be cheap expect 1500+.

I've thought about becoming licensed just so i can help family and friends cheaply.

BonzoHansen
02-15-2014, 01:56 PM
my electrician took care of all permits too

grazi
02-15-2014, 06:59 PM
homeowner should be able to do the work but might just be easier to hire. however do not think it'll be cheap expect 1500+.

I've thought about becoming licensed just so i can help family and friends cheaply.

You need I think 5 documented years experience working with a licensed electrician and also need to take a very hard test to become licensed.

grazi
02-15-2014, 07:03 PM

That means electric company needs a licensed electrician to do the work etc. They won't turn off the service for the switch if its just me AFAIK.

Federal pacific breakers are known to stick in the on position burning down lots of houses. A lot of mortgage companies will make the selling homeowner upgrade panel before sale is complete. I have an electrician that goes down by you. Pm me if you still need a name.
Btw. Most electricians I've used don't turn off the power when they switch over the service at the mast.

LTb1ow
02-15-2014, 08:05 PM
Yea, well aware of the issue with the breakers, thats really my main reasoning with the work.

If you could, shoot me a PM.

Paul Huryk
02-15-2014, 08:11 PM
Where are you located? My cousin (a licensed residential electrician) did my mom's panel in 2012 - he works out of Wayne...

BonzoHansen
02-15-2014, 08:20 PM

you think about a lot of things lol

LTb1ow
02-15-2014, 08:21 PM
Where are you located? My cousin (a licensed residential electrician) did my mom's panel in 2012 - he works out of Wayne...

Howell NJ, 07731, right off of Rt9.

I can do the panel etc myself, it is strictly cause the electric company won't upgrade service without proof of licensed work done ( I think )

PolarBear
02-15-2014, 08:32 PM
If you only have a 60 amp service the provider shouldn't care about upgrading until after you put the panel in.

At least I don't think PSEG gives a crap about WHO does the work as long as the wiring is protected by the proper size of breaker

LTb1ow
02-15-2014, 08:33 PM
If you only have a 60 amp service the provider shouldn't care about upgrading until after you put the panel in.

At least I don't think PSEG gives a crap about WHO does the work as long as the wiring is protected by the proper size of breaker

Well yea, but obviously do not want to risk doing the work only to have to pay a licensed guy to come look it over before the electric company switches me over.

BonzoHansen
02-15-2014, 09:10 PM
I thought you hated electrical work? Why would you want to do that yourself?

Write check, sit back, drink beer & watch.

LTb1ow
02-15-2014, 09:12 PM
I thought you hated electrical work? Why would you want to do that yourself?

Write check, sit back, drink beer & watch.

I hate car electrical work, this is wire nuts and tape. :lol:

And so far lowest quote was 2100, so writing check will be painful...

BonzoHansen
02-15-2014, 09:14 PM
beats screwing it up. does that include permits? I paid less than that for that work (about 9 years ago) and it included everything.

LTb1ow
02-15-2014, 09:30 PM
Its a complicated mess currently. Garage was added after house was built.

Currently, original house panel is in kitchen along with a single breaker for dryer. Both of these are fed from an additional panel in the garage.

All of which, are federal pacific and make me sad.

So, would want new 150amp panel in garage and junction box ditching the kitchen mess.

BonzoHansen
02-15-2014, 09:54 PM
that does sound messy. keep getting estimates, write the check.

I paid $2300 for move from 100 to 200, added whole house surge suppressor, ran 60 amp sub to garage, did all the writing in a new basement addition.

Paul Huryk
02-16-2014, 06:54 AM
Howell NJ, 07731, right off of Rt9.

I can do the panel etc myself, it is strictly cause the electric company won't upgrade service without proof of licensed work done ( I think )

A little too far out of the normal area for him...

grazi
02-16-2014, 07:08 AM
Normally you could legally do work on any part of the house yourself but since it involves work before the main breaker I'm pretty sure the power company can tell you that the person needs to be licensed. They will provide the electrician with a DR number it's kind of like a work order number that had to be used to get the permits. I think that the $2100 number you got doesn't seem bad especially since there is going to be a sub panel involved and probably running some new home runs to garage. Depending how far the meter is going to be from panel, they may also need to be a main service disconnect at meter and have your main panel act as a sub panel to that. I honestly wouldn't want to mess with all that myself. Ill pm you alittle later.

The_Bishop
02-16-2014, 07:08 PM
If you're going up, go big. Put a 200 amp service in. The cost difference is not that big. Part of the expense is you need a new feeder into your panel; from the weatherhead to the panel is going to need to be upgraded.

Another idea: Put in a manual transfer switch before the panel. If you ever decide to wire in a plug to feed the house with a generator, it'll be nice to have the transfer switch already there.