PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running a Watts link?

NJSPEEDER
02-19-2014, 10:35 AM
Has anyone here ever replaced the panhard set up on a 3rd or 4th gen with a Watts link? Results good? Bad? Indifferent? Was it a bolt on kit or home brew?

-Tim

Paul Huryk
02-19-2014, 10:44 AM
Has anyone here ever replaced the panhard set up on a 3rd or 4th gen with a Watts link? Results good? Bad? Indifferent? Was it a bolt on kit or home brew?

-Tim

I've heard good things if you get the right kit and it is set up correctly. Never used one myself - but maybe on my next project...

Here's one that Strano carries:

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetails.php?PartID=306&CategoryID=65&ModelID=9

deadtrend1
02-19-2014, 12:19 PM
I didnt like the design of it. Its a lot of crap to replace a 100 dollar panhard bar. Brake line clamps get cut off the axle tubes. This was all with the fays2 setup.

NJ Torque
02-19-2014, 12:42 PM
I think Rob (relapsex13) runs one.

Paul Huryk
02-19-2014, 12:49 PM
I didnt like the design of it. Its a lot of crap to replace a 100 dollar panhard bar. Brake line clamps get cut off the axle tubes. This was all with the fays2 setup.

Exactly!

Talking to Sam Strano he told me it would be a huge difference compared to a panhard rod setup. Maybe with the right link, but not this one.

PolarBear
02-19-2014, 12:57 PM

My opinion is that it has nothing to do with the cost of the PHB if a person wants out of it, it's about the shortcomings of the PHB system.

I don't like the design on the Strano either, but there aren't many options for doing one without welding. The Watts2 setup is a compromise to begin with, so the design is limited

TaKid455
02-19-2014, 06:25 PM
I run one on my 78. Its home built. Also have a Fay2s in the attic. It does make a noticeable difference. The issue with a Panhard bar is that it moves in a arc thus causing the rear to laterally move to some extent. No movement w/ Watts.

qwikz28
02-24-2014, 02:27 PM
Late to the party, but I have one coming in with my MWC rear end. From what I hear, it makes the car less nervous on mid-corner bumps. Whether it will provide a benefit on a smooth surface like an autox track is beyond me, but I certainly didn't order it for that purpose. If i had access to a welder, I would probably do a PHB lowering instead

coolmanvette75
02-24-2014, 09:26 PM
I think Rob (relapsex13) runs one.

Yes he does. I also believe he will be selling his soon too because he is getting rid of the 10bolt and needs a different one now

198esp1
02-24-2014, 11:36 PM
I ran a lowered panard bar for couple of seasons depending how low you go you will have to make whole sale changes to your setup. more rear spring or more bar or both. The new set up will be a custom watts link .

NJSPEEDER
02-26-2014, 01:46 PM
I run one on my 78. Its home built. Also have a Fay2s in the attic. It does make a noticeable difference. The issue with a Panhard bar is that it moves in a arc thus causing the rear to laterally move to some extent. No movement w/ Watts.

How much weight does the Fays2 add vs the panhard and supports that are replaced

Yeah yeah, I know anyone that has known me for a while was just waiting for that question. lol

-Tim

sweetbmxrider
02-26-2014, 01:55 PM
Guy on ls1tech had a fays2 in the classifieds for around $500 I think?

qwikz28
02-27-2014, 11:21 AM
How much weight does the Fays2 add vs the panhard and supports that are replaced

Yeah yeah, I know anyone that has known me for a while was just waiting for that question. lol

-Tim

It's those little consistencies in life that give me comfort. Some things just don't change...

ThoR294
06-24-2014, 02:09 PM
I always keep hearing how the fays2 is the cats ass for our cars lol

2MCHPWR
08-06-2014, 02:38 PM
is the fays2 watts able to play nice with the unbalanced decoupled torque arm? both of those together?

http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/Camaro/TA/

NJSPEEDER
08-13-2014, 12:04 PM
I seem to remember a few guys on FRRAX that had aftermarket TA's and Watts but i'm not sure the combinations. Doesn't seem like they should interfere with one another as long as the ride height and alignment don't limit range of motion or put one or the other is a position at the limits or their adjustability range.

-Tim

xrelapse13
10-02-2014, 12:25 PM
I'm running the Watts Link on my car and love it.

I see no reason the decoupled torque arm would interfere, caveat, i'm not running one but based off mounting locations i dont see them interfering with each other.

NJSPEEDER
10-03-2014, 05:40 PM
How much can you feel it? Does it dig in noticeably harder from the center off?

xrelapse13
10-23-2014, 02:26 PM
sorry for the delay, never had time to actually write a good response whenever i would check on this thread lol.

The difference was immediate, and even comparing it to friends' cars that have full suspensions with adj panhard rods.

There is no more snap to the car when coming out of corners or when the rear tires start spinning and it moves sideways. It's a lot more graceful so to speak. Even when it lights the tires up it's very controllable, no snapback, and tracks straight. The main difference i noticed as well is mid corner bumps that would normally upset the car, (even with stranos and konis) after the watts are nowhere close to as much of an issue.

It obviously still has some of the downfalls of a live axle but the threshold has gotten much higher. Overall driving as well it feels more comfortable over bumps, not as jarring and much more composed overall.

qwikz28
10-23-2014, 10:33 PM
I actually feel like the difference is far less noticeable on mine. I'm going to lower the propeller, which should lower the roll center, to see if it improves. How do you have yours set up?

xrelapse13
10-24-2014, 02:56 PM
IIRC I have mine on the middle or one lower hole.

The lower you, the more you're changing the role center, which makes a noticeable difference in how much the car rolls in a turn or snaps back. When i had it higher the benefit wasn't as noticeable vs. PHB.

qwikz28
10-25-2014, 09:33 PM
IIRC I have mine on the middle or one lower hole.

The lower you, the more you're changing the role center, which makes a noticeable difference in how much the car rolls in a turn or snaps back. When i had it higher the benefit wasn't as noticeable vs. PHB.

Mine right now is second from the top. I notice a difference, but it's minimal. I'm going to lower it tomorrow I think. Thanks for the tip.

198esp1
10-26-2014, 08:25 PM
typically when you lower the rear roll center you have to increase the rear spring rate or put a larger rear sway bar on the car. lowering the roll center typically will increase the rear grip causing the car to push if you don't adjust the balance. before i redid my camaro i was up to a 400lbs spring in the rear with a 24mm rear bar

ThoR294
10-29-2014, 09:19 PM
Bigger Strano sway bars and a watts link are on my to do list lol

sweetbmxrider
10-30-2014, 06:53 AM

So much for that growing up and being responsible thread :nick:

ThoR294
10-30-2014, 05:25 PM
So much for that growing up and being responsible thread :nick:

If i dont sell my bird.....****:bertstare:

townsend
10-31-2014, 08:09 PM

so much for selling it eh?

ThoR294
11-01-2014, 05:52 PM
so much for selling it eh?

Haha like I said.... If I can't sell it.... Gotta enjoy it lol. They have been on my list for years after Lt headers ;). Guys are so harsh <\3. :P