PDA

View Full Version : boosted 02 ss

foxriderry
01-15-2015, 03:18 PM
So I would like to make a thread for the build up im doing on my 02 ss. This car has been my dream car since my first 3.8 back when I was 17 haha.

So the car is a red 02 ss m6

Current mods :

Engine-
Torque v3 111 lsa
799 heads
Hd timing gear
Ported ls6 oil pump
Ls6 intake
Slp lid
Lpp headers
Ory
Cut out
Magnaflow cat
msd 2-step
walboro 255 lph fuel pump

Trans-
Stock t-56
Ls6 clutch
Auto bleeder
Tick mc

Suspensions-
Umi adj torque arm
Umi weld in sfc’s
Founders double adj lca’s
Founders double adj phb

Interior doo dads-
TA leather seats (ermahgawd best mod ever)
Ws6 store short stick

I’ve already ordered the 9in housing from quick performance which just got here today. I haven’t decided on gearing yet, so the center section will come

Future plans

Boost:
Huron speed V2 ac kit (on order)
Pa racing turbo K-member
comp 3bb 7879 oilless turbo
4in. FMIC intercooler
Xspower 44 mm waste gate
Xspower 50 mm bov
Seimans Deka 80# injectores
A wideband (not sure which yet)
turbo blankey
abs/tcs/cc delete kit
line lock

foxriderry
01-15-2015, 03:40 PM
If anyone has any suggestions im all ears, this will be my first turbo build so i wanna make sure i dont leave anything out

The_Bishop
01-15-2015, 06:21 PM
The cam may not be right for a forced induction setup, too much overlap.

foxriderry
01-15-2015, 08:26 PM
thanks, i know its not ideal but its in there for now and my tuner said he would be able to work around it for the time being, in the mean time ill have to see what my funding looks like come time for all the work, if it allows for a new cam, than thats the direction ill be headed in

LTb1ow
01-15-2015, 09:25 PM
Either turbo will blow the motor, but I would do a 7875 or a 7675, 80# sticks, and 3.42-3.54 range in the rear.

Any meth?

foxriderry
01-16-2015, 08:29 AM
Oh I forgot to add the 4 inch intercooler, wasn't planning on meth, what makes you think it'll blow the motor? And I think my decision has changed on turbos, I'm thinkin a comp triple ball bearing 7879, with the oil less conversion

LTb1ow
01-16-2015, 08:58 AM
Its a stock bottom end LS1 no?

Add boost and its only a matter of time IMO.

foxriderry
01-16-2015, 02:26 PM
it is a stock bottom end, i guess ill just blow it up and rebuild it haha, and ill take your advice on the injectors, thanks. I think ive decided on the comp 3bb 7879 turbo. Im gonna go with the oil less so i dont have to deal with tapping the pan cause that doesnt look like fun

coolmanvette75
01-16-2015, 04:37 PM
That cam is gonna really suck with boost IMO. You don't want something with an lsa like that in a turbo app (For example my cam is on a 114+5 lsa).

Spend some money on a quality wastegate. I wouldn't trust a chinese gate. One cheap stuck wastegate can take out a lot of even more expensive parts. Jon from Huron is a turbosmart dealer and can get you a good price on them, especially if you buy the kit and accessories at the same time (I run twin turbosmart 45's and a turbosmart 50mm bov on my car).

You are going to want to upgrade your fuel pump setup, as a single 255 won't cut it. I like to overbuild with fuel systems so I would recommend a twin setup, but you may be able to get away with one big pump depending on your power goals. I didnt see you mention any other fuel upgrades, so I'm going to remommend doing a regulator and lines as well. -8 feed from the tank and either a -6 return or use your stock feed as a return. Get a good *boost referenced* fuel pressure regulator. This will raise fuel pressure on a 1:1 scale with boost so you can make sure you are getting enough fuel, and make your tuner's life a little easier. I have a Magnafuel regulator on my car but pretty much any boost referenced fpr will do

LS6 clutch is going to laugh at boost. I'd definitely beef that up.

I can recommend a few more things, but it all honestly depends on what your power goals are and what you plan on actually doing with the car when you are done...

grazi
01-17-2015, 03:47 PM
Read through the wsex turbo build. That should give you some Good tips.

The_Bishop
01-17-2015, 07:06 PM
Yeah, you'll get really good at swapping motors.

foxriderry
02-03-2015, 11:57 AM
Great thanks for all the input guys, im planning on this being a relatively conservative build, but i do certainly heed all of your advice.

Unfortunately, i dont think i can bring myself to sell my jeep as of yet (i just love it too much), and that seems to be the only way i would be able to afford to do most of this stuff within the year.

In light of that fact i will probably order a 4.10 center section (still havent decided on spool or wavetack), and run around heads and cam for this season. I will still have my turbo kit with all the piping and what not because ive already placed the deposit, but ill have to piece everything else together slowly.

Admins: I will still keep this thread up to date with my build progression pictures and what not, however if this is taking up space or whatever i wont be upset if it gets deleted.

xrelapse13
02-05-2015, 08:20 AM
Also, minor detail, but make sure you either make or acquire a four corner water vapor kit. Underrated piece that significantly helps in keeping the stock rear pistons alive with boost and even n/a.

Something like the Kurt Urban Water Vapor kit is a good one.

foxriderry
02-06-2015, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the heads up, ill add that to my list. im gonna need a tune for this spring before OCMD xrelapse13, after i install the 9" i have, and im thinking of running 4.10's for this summer

WSex
02-06-2015, 09:40 AM

Slap in the face:kneeslap:

LTb1ow
02-06-2015, 11:27 AM

It is a good example of what not to do.. :kneeslap:

xrelapse13
02-06-2015, 11:29 AM
It is a good example of what not to do.. :kneeslap:

where we're going we don't need bearing clearances

WSex
02-07-2015, 07:49 AM
where we're going we don't need bearing clearances

but they said lsx was cookie cutter plug and play...

foxriderry
04-09-2015, 02:17 PM
so a quick update; i ordered my center sections ... strange with a wavetrack diff and 4.11 gears, that will head under their this weekend (April 11&12, if anyone wants to lend a hand, pm me, free beer will be included!) I also ordered a bmr tunnel mount torque arm and relo mount with d/s loop, spohn chromo d/s with 1350 yoke, all of which will be going in this weekend along with the aforementioned sjm abs delete/ line lock, and straight throttle cable to delete cruise control as well. Wish me luck.

foxriderry
06-04-2015, 02:44 PM
So a little update, the cold side shipped today and I basically CANT WAIT to see what this thing looks like haha.

In other news I'm still working on the rear, but I've got a bunch of pictures that i will post up when i get the chance.