PDA

View Full Version : Ute to ElCamino is now possible...

BigAls87Z28
08-12-2004, 11:18 PM
Many of you may have been asking, "Why hasnt GM brought over the Holden Ute as a limited run, performance El Camino?"
See, the Ute has the relocated gas tank to meet crash standards, and is actualy cheaper to produce and is a cheaper car then the Monaro.
So again, WHY GM, WHY NOT BRING IT OVER!!
Well, there was a little tariff on all trucks sent over from Down Under, and the Ute falls under the tariff rule. Here is teh run down.

We here in the United States have a 25% tarriff on all imported trucks. That covers everything from big rigs to pickup trucks. SUVs aren't included because under trade definitions, they are passenger vehicles (rear seats, no bed, etc).

When Bob Lutz made his 1st review of Holden products shortly after his arrival at GM, one of the things he wanted to get rolling was some of GM's abandoned ideas of bringing over some GM-Holden models to round out our vehicle lines here. The most obvious 1st choice was the Holden Ute, which for all purposes is the modern Chevy El Camino. Since it would qualify as a truck, it fell under a different set of safety regulations. Also, it's fuel tank is mounted forward of the rear axle. Finally, since Holden already made left hand versions of the same chassis, it was a minimal investment in time and money. However, GM couldn't get around that 25% truck tarriff.

The US-Australian Trade agreement amoung a laundry list of items, ends that tarriff for "Trucks" made in Australia. This makes the Holden UTE and the Ford Falcon UTE the ONLY Aussie made trucks that we do not have available here. This also means that someone lobbied to include exporting Aussie made trucks in the agreement for a purpose.

GM could slap together an El Camino and have it ready for US consumption in less then a year. LS2 powerd, 6spd shifted, and get the same quality interior as the GTO, and classified as a truck.
And it would be cheaper then the GTO and SSR.
Also, there will be a drop in tariff of American cars exported to Oz by 2010.

skorpion317
08-12-2004, 11:22 PM
it'd be better looking than the SSR too...

Squirrel
08-12-2004, 11:37 PM
it'd be better looking than the SSR too...my morning dump looks better than an SSR (no smiley)

NJSPEEDER
08-13-2004, 02:30 PM
a 3 bean burrito dump looks better than the SSR. i am really hating this styled by tonka lookin trend that a lot fo teh supposed high line cars are goin towards lately.

later
tim

skorpion317
08-13-2004, 06:06 PM
a 3 bean burrito dump looks better than the SSR. i am really hating this styled by tonka lookin trend that a lot fo teh supposed high line cars are goin towards lately.

later
tim

i hate the cars that not even Hot Wheels would make trend that's going on, also known as rice.

BigAls87Z28
08-13-2004, 09:40 PM
Well, that makes 1 of me.
I think the SSR is pimp. Very smooth lines, and with mo'power next year.
Never could understand why it didnt get an LS6 or at least an LS1. Gad dam Zarella you lazy ******.

Thank You Mr.Lutz for adding bang to the package.

Ian
08-13-2004, 11:43 PM
If the SSR was fast, I might like it better. but as of right now, I don't like it at all.

BigAls87Z28
08-14-2004, 12:52 AM
The SSR will be quite quick next year, probably a high 13's car. Not tire-frying, but a deffinate improvment. Price shouldnt go up, at least MSRP.

Only problem is that an El Camino with an LS2 and 6spd would come with IRS like the GTO, as well as the GTO's interior, and probably be around the 26-28k range.

skorpion317
08-14-2004, 10:02 PM
Only problem is that an El Camino with an LS2 and 6spd would come with IRS like the GTO, as well as the GTO's interior, and probably be around the 26-28k range.

how is that a problem? the GTO interior is probably the best GM ever designed. and IRS is good to have (even the mustangs are getting them, i hear). it would be lighter than the GTO, with an LS2 in it. it would definitely smoke an f-body, stock for stock.

Squirrel
08-14-2004, 10:08 PM

how is that a problem? the GTO interior is probably the best GM ever designed. and IRS is good to have (even the mustangs are getting them, i hear). it would be lighter than the GTO, with an LS2 in it. it would definitely smoke an f-body, stock for stock.cobras have had IRS for a while... 8)

skorpion317
08-14-2004, 10:50 PM

how is that a problem? the GTO interior is probably the best GM ever designed. and IRS is good to have (even the mustangs are getting them, i hear). it would be lighter than the GTO, with an LS2 in it. it would definitely smoke an f-body, stock for stock.cobras have had IRS for a while... 8)

i know, but all lesser 'stangs had live axles...yeesh :shock:

BigAls87Z28
08-15-2004, 12:28 AM

how is that a problem? the GTO interior is probably the best GM ever designed. and IRS is good to have (even the mustangs are getting them, i hear). it would be lighter than the GTO, with an LS2 in it. it would definitely smoke an f-body, stock for stock.

I knew I forgot something.
The problem would arise in which the Ute would face the same problem as the Camaro did when going up against the Corvette. If the SSR is still around, the Ute will be detuned and probably be equiped with a weaker engine. Of course, this could all be changed when the SSR goes off production in a year and half.

8)

skorpion317
08-15-2004, 11:27 AM
kill the SSR, bring back the El Camino. we should start a campaign for this.

Tru2Chevy
08-15-2004, 07:23 PM
i know, but all lesser 'stangs had live axles...yeesh :shock:

I think I remember reading in the first big Motor Trend article about them that the v6s and GT were still getting a live axle. That may have changed by now, but that's what I remember.

- Justin

NJSPEEDER
08-15-2004, 07:27 PM
cobras have had IRS for a while... 8)

teh ford IRS is complete junk though. anyoen who has seen them at teh track has heard the revs sppol up at teh line folowed by clutch dump then teh infamous TING TING TING of a half shaft bouncing around. it really is a beautiful noise when some jackhole gets out fo his superstang that can't even handle it's own stock power :)
the later ones have gotten a bit better, but it is still a major flaw.
teh GTO however is a heavy car and uses the same IRS as teh vette wihtout any major failure problems. because gm designs **** to last :D

later
tim

BigAls87Z28
08-15-2004, 11:18 PM
cobras have had IRS for a while... 8)

teh ford IRS is complete junk though. anyoen who has seen them at teh track has heard the revs sppol up at teh line folowed by clutch dump then teh infamous TING TING TING of a half shaft bouncing around. it really is a beautiful noise when some jackhole gets out fo his superstang that can't even handle it's own stock power :)
the later ones have gotten a bit better, but it is still a major flaw.
teh GTO however is a heavy car and uses the same IRS as teh vette wihtout any major failure problems. because gm designs **** to last :D

later
tim

The Holden rear has zero GM input. At least GM North America.
The quote should read...
"because Oz's roads make parts of NJ look paved, Holden designs **** to last."
The GTO has a friggin skid plate! And its sheetmetal is thicker then your average American car, and its interior is BMW-esque. Everywhere else in the world they get some form of the Monaro or Commadore, and they LOVE the car.
It comes to America, and they have a 240 day supply. :roll:
Yet they cant keep Camry's on lots.

V
08-16-2004, 02:05 PM
http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2487108976&category=6171

my gf found this....very interesting none the less, its a 2004 monte converted into an elcamino...FOR $125K!!!!!!!!!! :shock: people are crazy, for maybe 15k i'd like it more..but it'd need to be supercharged :twisted: