PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Fiero mishapp!!!

PBodyGT87
08-19-2004, 10:34 AM
Why did i have to get a fiero?

Oh, yeah. Cuz i love them.

BUT DAMN. this car needs to stop acting up.

so i was coming home last night and going down pennington road, my car started accelerating rough, then, not really accelerating at all. and it would keep jumping forward, then dropping speed, jump again, and the Check Engine light would flash on and off. so i was basically jerking the car down pennington road at an unsteady 20 mph.

I've already experienced this, a few times, and before it was the chip, and then it was a clog in the cat. took the chip from my older brothers car, and that worked. the second time we bought and installed a new cat, etc etc... everything was working great. now it starts again. So what is it this time? Fuel pump? or is it my distributer? I can't quite think of anything else. We already replaced the fuel filter too. I managed to get the car off of Pennington road by coasting down some side streets and back roads at about 20 mph. I told my dad about it when i got home, but he was tried and half asleep i think, so i'm sure he forgot. and i don't know where the brother is, so this is what i came up with myself so far.

if i dont figure this out today, i wont be taking the fiero to hooters. Might have to roll up in there in a Dodge Stratus. YEAAHH BAY-BEE!

we'll see. but as of right now, my car scares the pants off me when i drive it, so unless i know that everything is completely ok, there is no chance i am bringing it up onto route one.

Pat
08-19-2004, 10:50 AM
O2 sensor?

Tru2Chevy
08-19-2004, 11:55 AM
Gotta love the 2.8....

How was the motor acting when the car was accelerating/decelerating? Was the motor actually running rough, or was the car just shaking?

- Justin

PBodyGT87
08-19-2004, 12:24 PM
O2 sensor?

nope, we just put a brand new one in when we replaced the cat.

PBodyGT87
08-19-2004, 12:54 PM
Gotta love the 2.8....

How was the motor acting when the car was accelerating/decelerating? Was the motor actually running rough, or was the car just shaking?

- Justin

it was actually running rough. i thought the car was going to stall out, and it probably would have, if i kept trying to stay up to speed on pennington. it wasn't shaking, it was that the car did not want to go. it wouldn't move when i applied the gas. until it finally started and it would jerk like mad up to speed and then quit again. which is why i am thinking maybe it's a fuel pump problem. my dad is taking it up to the shop so he can hook it up to the computer. so we'll see. might be throttle position sensor since we only took it from richards car.

89 Trans Am WS6
08-19-2004, 12:56 PM
EGR?

My cars been reving by itself lately, and when your in gear it makes jumps in accel..also it stalled a few times last week, im thinking its the EGR, because i got a code 32 :(

Tru2Chevy
08-19-2004, 12:56 PM
That's cool - hopefully your dad can figure out what's up with it today. That way you can roll up to Hooters in style!

- Justin

PBodyGT87
08-19-2004, 01:58 PM
EGR?

My cars been reving by itself lately, and when your in gear it makes jumps in accel..also it stalled a few times last week, im thinking its the EGR, because i got a code 32 :(

what's that, the exhaust gas recirculation valve switch? or something...
i don't know. it could be, if having a big exhaust leak affects that over time. honestly right now i'm not really sure. i guess we'll find out.

Pat
08-19-2004, 03:12 PM
O2 sensor?

nope, we just put a brand new one in when we replaced the cat.

that doesn't mean it's not broken. somebody on njfbody learned that...

Fasterthanyou
08-19-2004, 08:50 PM
I've had a similar problem with my car that I couldn't figure out even with the scan tool. The difference was my car wasn't setting an SES light, it was just acting REALLY bad and the torque converter lockup was going on and off. It was a bad connection on the cts. The connector just needed taking apart and cleaned.
Go into the engine bay and look at all of the connectors, take them on and off to get a better contact (old cars especially).

ArCoLoG2
08-26-2004, 04:29 PM
When your check engine light comes on, that indicates a failure among emmisions related parts and stuff...When the light flashes it means alot worse, like detonation....Get it checked out, good luck!

foff667
08-26-2004, 05:41 PM
When your check engine light comes on, that indicates a failure among emmisions related parts and stuff...When the light flashes it means alot worse, like detonation....Get it checked out, good luck!

not necessarily mine flashed when my spark plug wires were going lol

SpeakersGoBoom
10-14-2004, 09:07 AM
Could be worse...from what my dad says, Fieros were infamous for catching fire.

jims69camaro
10-14-2004, 09:24 AM

no, that was pintos in rear-collisions. :D

they did a recall to fix that. no more problems. and she's got an '87, never happened with those.

Tru2Chevy
10-14-2004, 09:38 AM

no, that was pintos in rear-collisions. :D

they did a recall to fix that. no more problems. and she's got an '87, never happened with those.

Plus it was only for the 4 cylinders, and she's got a GT (2.8L v6). Besides, it was the TPS going bad, and her brother put another one in right away.

- Justin

9secfirebird
10-19-2004, 09:54 PM
EGR valve. try it. its the best place to start with this problem

Tru2Chevy
10-19-2004, 10:06 PM
EGR valve. try it. its the best place to start with this problem

See above.....it was the TPS sensor, and it was fixed the same day.

- Justin

DieselKickYoAss4Sure
10-22-2004, 06:27 PM
all fieros had problems with fires in the first years of production even the v6 but all the fieros we own have been racalled and a heat sheald was put on the rear of the engine over the manifold ghetto fabulously wire tied on with coat hanger peaces by our good friend mr goodwrench who said "aw great a whole line of fieros lets make this quick" anyway the plug on the tps was coroded some di electric grease was aplyed very carefully by none other than doctor phil and off to hooters big sister whent now to deal with the cracked exaust manifold ahh it can wait! at least we can hear her coming.

JPiZZiJP
11-11-2004, 10:10 AM
Not to sound remedial, but maybe it's just bad gas? :) Sometimes if I go to a no-name brand gas station my car will have a similar problem cause teh octane isn't high enough.

Just food for thought lol

Tru2Chevy
11-11-2004, 10:25 AM
Not to sound remedial, but maybe it's just bad gas? :) Sometimes if I go to a no-name brand gas station my car will have a similar problem cause teh octane isn't high enough.

OMG - doesn't anyone ever read before they post in an old thread?!?!?!

The problem was already fixed.....READ

- Justin

(sorry - just a pet peeve.....come up with a better way to post whore :hammer: )

j0n
11-11-2004, 12:01 PM

- Justin

(sorry - just a pet peeve.....come up with a better way to post whore :hammer: )

quit over-reacting [/better way to postwhore] :wink:

ar0ck
11-11-2004, 12:05 PM

- Justin

Yeah!

+1 to post count

Squirrel
11-11-2004, 04:55 PM

- Justin

Yeah!

+1 to post count
:werd:

Malibu79
11-16-2004, 08:49 PM
:stupid: :nod:

BigAls87Z28
12-06-2004, 02:39 AM
DAMN! Month or so too late...I gotta start reading this section more. Glad you figured it was teh TPS. Next time just check the code, it should have led you right to the problem.