PDA

View Full Version : Camaro WILL return!

skorpion317
08-27-2004, 12:07 AM
I was readin this month's Chevy High Performance magazine (has a blue Dick Harrell edition Camaro on the cover). I began reading an editorial, by editor Ro McGonegal. He was talking about the huge Annual F-Body Gathering in Georgia. He talked to Scott Settlemire, who was a head honcho in the Camaro dept. but now works as Chevy's Auto Shows and Exhibits manager. As they talked, the subject of the F-body's return came up. Settlemire told McGonegal that the F-body WILL return. that is confirmed. they have to maintain some secrecy though, so all they could say is that an "iteration" of the f-body will come back, and it will be "much cooler than we could imagine". I take the "iteration" comment as a confirmation of the rumors that only the Camaro, and not the Firebird, will return. as for the "much cooler" part, who knows? maybe they'll stuff a "detuned" :roll: LS7 in it. or some other crazy *****. but who cares? the F-body IS COMING BACK!

BigAls87Z28
08-27-2004, 01:03 AM
whoa, slow it down!
#1- Welcome to last year
#2- Scott has never and will never say "Yes" to the return of any Camaro...yet. He has hinted that there is a Chevy coupe in the works, and that it fits the discription of what a Camaro is.
#3- the Fbody is dead. The plant is gone and there will be no more Fbody.
#4- Zeta will fill its place.
#5- There are still many mountains to climb before GM can come out and say the "C" word. But since the fall of the Ste.Therese plant in late March, the C word has popped up here and there.
#6- There is an almost equal draw for the "Chevelle" name to return.
#7- There is most deffinatly a chevy coupe in the works, and it will share a lot with the upcoming GTO.

There will probably not be a LS7 equpied Camaro. The Fbird has died, but not before releasing several off-spring. The GTO, the Solstice, and the G6 coupe/hard top vert will all fill in the void left by the Firebird.

As of right now, I can confirm 100% that there will be a Chevy and Pontiac RWD/AWD sedan coming by MY08. They will both have the new 3.9, 240hp+ engine. The V8 is not confirmed at this time.

There is a lot of news about the Camaro's death in last months PHR. The article was (mostly) writen by a member of CZ28 named GuionM. He has many inside contacts and probably knows more then all of us combined.

I always post any new info on an upcoming Camaro, as well as upcoming GM cars on this site.

Chances are that the Camaro will come back, built off the brand new Zeta chassis, that will replace Holdens VY/VZ chassis. It uses an IRS set up, and is heavily based on the Sigma(CTS, STS, SRX) chassis. It is highly flexable and will be able to swallow many different powertrain combos. The Zeta chassis will be one of the worlds finest RWD/AWD chassis, that is for sure. The first true Zeta car was at this years New York Auto Show. The car is called the Buick Velite. Its a 2dr, 2+2 seater vert, that has a Twin Turbo, 3.6 DOHC VVT engine making 400hp, backed by GM's new (and made for Zeta) 6spd auto. Zeta will play a HUGE part in Buick's rebuilding. GM has given Buick an infusion of $3 Billion, with a B, to revise and redevelop new cars. They will be arriving very soon, and be very close to the Velite concept in design.
Also, Zeta seems to be flexable and can change size. A GTO might use the same drivetrain as the Camaro, but the Camaro could be a much smaller car.
Expect the GTO to get different treatment then the Camaro as the GTO will be Pontiacs "flag ship" car.
Expect a V6, and 2 V8 models for the Camaro as well. Z28 will return to being the top Camaro.

jims69camaro
08-27-2004, 06:16 AM
yeah, i read that piece. scott ain't giving up any new information. an 'iteration' has been the scuttlebutt for more than 2 years.

frankly, the possibilities of the Zeta platform in combination with the Kappa platform should introduce some new life into an organization that for the most part has been playing catch-up with ford.

everyone who is a member of an Fbody site wants the return of the Camaro/Firebird. you should hear them at the firebird-only sites. they want blood, not a new model. :D but pontiac has backed off from the tired old re-badged camaro and is looking to infuse some new blood with other models. sound business decision, as far as that goes. sales numbers just don't support the rebirth of the phoenix.

and you have to understand that not all people think like we enthusiasts do. they could care less that the corvette has an LS2 motor. or that the CTS has a 500 hp motor available. they want a car that looks good that they won't have to spend an arm and a leg on to get it fixed when it burps; they could care less about performance and probably couldn't tell you the HP/torque numbers of their current car. enthusiasts are a whole different breed of car buyer, but they are the minority. for a car-maker to direct their marketing only to the enthusiast, like they did at the end of the camaro/firebird run, equals lower sales numbers.

i hope we get some new, good looking, well-running vehicles soon. but the cold, hard facts are that i've already made up my mind what car i am going to buy next and it will be only one car. unless something radical happens in the next year and a half...