PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycles...???

JPiZZiJP
08-29-2004, 08:58 PM
I know this is an f-body forum, and I'm a proud owner of a Camaro (plan on keeping it that way for a long time hehe), but I am getting a motorcycle soon and wondering if anyone on here owns one.

Any advice? Recommendations? etc??

~Joe

Amy
08-29-2004, 09:24 PM
R1.. can't go wrong. I want to get one when I move out of this godforsaken state. They go for pretty cheap and they're pretty fast. 1000 or 1100 cc's should run somewhere around 10's at the track. They look the hottest in black. 8)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50053&item=2487933511&rd=1

foff667
08-29-2004, 09:31 PM
I know this is an f-body forum, and I'm a proud owner of a Camaro (plan on keeping it that way for a long time hehe), but I am getting a motorcycle soon and wondering if anyone on here owns one.

Any advice? Recommendations? etc??

~Joe

don't own one, don't get killed thats my advice...dont be like some of these morons out there thinking they are invincible when all they have is a jacket & a helmet to save their life...i lost what wouldve been my brother in law to a motorcycle accident before my nephew was born so now hes without a dad...just something to think about.

89 Trans Am WS6
08-29-2004, 09:52 PM
Suzuki Hyabusa.
1300 cc.
9.5 1/4 mile bone stock.

Might as well go straight to the top:D\

Plus you can buy a turbo kit for it, buahahahahaha :twisted: :twisted:

jims69camaro
08-29-2004, 10:07 PM
ok, let's not turn this into a horror show. well, ok, if you insist.

the only time i ever got hurt riding was when i wasn't wearing protective gear. i got rashed up pretty good. not nearly as bad as a guy i knew in texas that lost his chest. yep, he was riding on the street without leather and did a body slide on his chest. sheered it off right down to the bone.

makes you think twice about those kids you see wearing t-shirts and shorts, riding down the road at 100+, laying rubber, pulling wheelies...

riding used to be about freedom. now it's more about... well, i dunno what it's about.

a survery done in england a little while ago said that 75% of the accidents involving two wheels also involved an inattentive driver in a car. they say you have to be a defensive driver when behind the wheel. that goes double when you're behind the handlebars.

if i were to pick a bike to ride, i would pick one that was as safe as possible. it would be covered with halogen flashers and be international-orange. have fun choosing a bike.

84HOtransam
08-29-2004, 10:08 PM
Suzuki Hyabusa.
1300 cc.
9.5 1/4 mile bone stock.

Might as well go straight to the top:D\

Plus you can buy a turbo kit for it, buahahahahaha :twisted: :twisted:

its the only thing in the world you can buy for under $12k...roll out of the dealer...turn the key...fill it with gas and run 9.40's with...

Im 18..ive had my motorcycle license for a year and im still trying to convince my parents to let me get one...

dont go bigger than a 600 if youve never ridden before in your life....or get something like an enduro bike or an old 400cc something to learn on...and if you dont have your license yet take a weekend course..they let you bypass the road test...they also get you used to riding if you never have before..

Vanilla_Gorilla
08-29-2004, 10:36 PM
my friend, a former f body owner, looped out on his r6 while in a 3rd gear wheelie at 65 mph wearing only nylon pants and gloves (no shirt)
he slid on his back for a hundred or so feet and turned it into one big scab
and tore up his hands pretty bad
anyway bikes are cool just dont be an idiot is all im sayin

foff667
08-29-2004, 10:37 PM
if i were to pick a bike to ride, i would pick one that was as safe as possible. it would be covered with halogen flashers and be international-orange. have fun choosing a bike.

if i were to pick one to ride id pick one with 2 extra wheels surrounded by sheet metal & windows ;) i was no more then 12 inches from hitting the rear tire of a crotchrocket that decided the 4 ft between me and a car in the right lane was more then enough room to just go through...then decides to instead of waiting in the lane go around everyone at every light he went...those are the people im worried about and pissed off about at the same time. And anyone that hasn't already read the thread about wills 77 vette meeting with a harley rider should check it out...ironic ending.

THECowboy
08-29-2004, 10:39 PM
go to http://www.njsaferoads.com/ and take their FREE course, it is sanctioned by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation and the NJDMV. take it and you get your liscense, also visit www.supersportbike.com to get help on what bike and gear to chose from, great guys over there for bike info, i would start on a 600cc or lower like mentioned above, get a helmet, and a leather jacket, pants, gloves and boots. don't be one of those smacktards that weres jean shorts and drives between cars

Squirrel
08-29-2004, 10:50 PM
yeah....my dad used to ride a lot back in his day, but he had to stop when he 'almost died 3 times in one day'....he said people just paid no attention to bikes and felt uncomfortable every time he rode
edit: i love bikes and all, but i know buying a bike would be one of the stupidest things i would ever do....cuz im 100% certain i wouldnt live long

Wasted Youth
08-30-2004, 12:40 AM
i have a 2002 ducati 900ss with remus CF slip on mufflers, k&n filter, and a chip, also have a 1982 ducati SD 900 with 13:1 pistons, carbs, intake manifolds, hot street cam, exhaust, and k&n filters....also the 82 is restored...then i have a dirtbike and sea doo...bah....all of this is why my gta is close to stock...

jims69camaro
08-30-2004, 08:53 AM
i have a 2002 ducati 900ss with remus CF slip on mufflers, k&n filter, and a chip, also have a 1982 ducati SD 900 with 13:1 pistons, carbs, intake manifolds, hot street cam, exhaust, and k&n filters....also the 82 is restored...then i have a dirtbike and sea doo...bah....all of this is why my gta is close to stock...

sell all of those toys and get the GTA to move. actually, keep the sea-doo. sell everything else. :D

it's tough deciding to ride these days. you know you are a target, people aren't going to be paying attention to you, etc. part of the reason why harley riders go with the loud pipes, so people can hear them coming.

Tru2Chevy
08-30-2004, 09:18 AM
My cousin sold his old Ninja when he got started on his lawn service, but then picked up a Katana 600 for $800 (had a few dings). He doesn't ride much anymore, and def. not around the Trenton/Ewing area where he lives. He'll cruise up to Ringoes and ride there some.

- Justin

BigAls87Z28
08-30-2004, 09:40 AM
Whats with all the crotch rocket suggestions? :?

PBodyGT87
08-30-2004, 10:57 AM
My dad used to race his Kawasaki 900 4-stoke (this was fast back in the 70's) back in the day around full tracks with about 20 other riders. So you know, not just your simple drag race. And he also used it as transportation to college out in the University of Colorado, making his way from Hopewell NJ to Denver CO. We still have the bike, and it's really big and huge, and classic now, but cool. No matter what bike you get it's really just more important that you take you skill of defensive automobile driving, and DOUBLE IT, as my dad says. You need to be twice as cautious. He did have one wipe out that tore his knees to what looked like meat, but other than that, no horror stories. I have no suggestions, except that a fast is not always important. Just ride what you like, even if it's 30 years old. hehehe. you might look cooler with one of those old things anyway. Well, I'd dig it. haha.

TransAmTBI
08-30-2004, 02:36 PM
i just got my motorcycle liscence! i love riding but i'm safe as hell i cant do any tricks or stuff like that i just like to ride..

also my bike is a pos 1979 honda cx 500 but pretty quick

i suggest you at least learn to ride cause its fun as hell and save3s some gas on the nice days

JPiZZiJP
08-30-2004, 08:13 PM
Seriously... I do a lot of driving for my business and my LT1 eats up way too much gas. I did almost 6000 miles in the past month and a half :( I'd rather put that on a bike, considering bikes are cheaper overall and to maintain.

V
08-30-2004, 11:07 PM
last summer i got my 4th bike, a '03 kawi zx636r, nice bike, it was first year of fuel injection and with 103rwhp stock and about 109 pipped, its fast enough for me, well it will be after a few more mods, Plus the dry weight is around 350. Its not a busa but it moves, does about 10.2 stock. I though about going to a liter bike but i chose against it due to superbike insurance rates. I recommend a mid 90's 600cc bike as your first bike, or a 80/90's cruiser such as kawi or yamaha or suzuki. They all good to learn on. but be safe, Ive had a few friends go down, all were riders for over 3 years, it can happen to anyone. thank god i havent dumped it yet, knock on wood,, but one day im sure i will. Just be safe and responsible, and dont try to show off, ever, thats when bad things happen. just my 2 cents

jims69camaro
08-31-2004, 04:02 AM
Whats with all the crotch rocket suggestions? :?

most of these kids, that's all they know/have been exposed to. they don't know how quick a harley can be, because all they've seen are the jap bikes. kind of like the ricer crowd, all of your friends have one, and you are the one who sticks out because you own a harley. :)

HardcoreZ28
08-31-2004, 07:44 AM
I also got my license about a year ago. I would highly suggest taking the free course that the state runs down in Sea Girt. It's 3 days and you can take the test right there. I learned a lot. I'm planning on finally getting a bike next year. It will definately be a Harley or a custom chopper. I know I won't be able to respect the power of a crotch rocket at this point and my skills are nowhere near good enough to take the chance. Plus I like the look and sound of a Harley much more anyway.....just like I'd take a Camaro over a ricer any day of the week.