PDA

View Full Version : brakes for a 86 z28 w/ front and rear disks

twiztidz28
08-30-2004, 10:05 AM
well after Bill and I were done with the LCA's and panhard bar on saturday he noticed that my calipers were pretty shot. I need to change the pads anyways and i figured I might as well do all of it. Where is the best place to get a front and rear disk brake package? Should I go with stock parts or upgrads a lil. I really don't want to spend to much on this since i cant afford to go all out right now between moving and other things that are happening.

foff667
08-30-2004, 11:40 AM
i say just stick with the 86 stuff just get new calipers, pins, pads though new brake lines might be a good idea with a car nearly 20 years old now. Im sure you could upgrade to later discs too but not sure what all it involves...cuz i know the 86's had smaller rear discs then the later cars.

lata
Bill

twiztidz28
08-30-2004, 11:51 AM
yea id figure i could save some money that way. thanks for helping again by the way. Hope red lobster was good to ya. cause i sure as hell enjoyed it.

foff667
08-30-2004, 12:42 PM
yea id figure i could save some money that way. thanks for helping again by the way. Hope red lobster was good to ya. cause i sure as hell enjoyed it.

yah i appriciated dinner very much...i rarely get to go out now with my daughter and all so its nice when i get to go out...and at least we had a good amount in common to hold a decent conversation...wish it wasnt so busy so our waitress couldve "helped" us out a little more :naughty:

Vanilla_Gorilla
08-30-2004, 01:32 PM
my rears on my 86 were totally shot so me and my dad got replacements from Raybestus i think thats how you spell it
anyway we got them through Thuls auto parts

twiztidz28
08-30-2004, 01:32 PM
yea or her and maybe a couple of the other ones. id would have loved if it was clam fest at red lobster and it was all you can eat if ya know what i meen :naughty:

NJSPEEDER
08-30-2004, 03:31 PM
jsut go to teh local parts store and buy a set of remans calipers. they are pretty inexpensive adn you can get them complete with teh pads already in them to make the install take no time at all.
for teh rears i woudl look around for a set of the later calipers and sliders. when i saw your car i noticed you have the older style iron calipers, teh later PBR style are way better.
if you really wanna be creative you can go over to TGO and look up the tech info on installing the later LS1 brake package on your car.

later
tim

foff667
08-30-2004, 03:34 PM
jsut go to teh local parts store and buy a set of remans calipers. they are pretty inexpensive adn you can get them complete with teh pads already in them to make the install take no time at all.
for teh rears i woudl look around for a set of the later calipers and sliders. when i saw your car i noticed you have the older style iron calipers, teh later PBR style are way better.
if you really wanna be creative you can go over to TGO and look up the tech info on installing the later LS1 brake package on your car.

later
tim

like i said i knew there had to be some decent 3rd gen upgrades for what at the time was a pretty crappy disc brake setup...im just not too versed on my 3rd gen stuff :lol:

twiztidz28
08-30-2004, 03:38 PM
yea i was thinking about the ls1 brake swap but im just going to get something as close to stock as i can. i need the money to go to something else at this monent.

Bill was that coment a hint to me getting your brake setup from your car :lol:

foff667
08-30-2004, 03:41 PM
yea i was thinking about the ls1 brake swap but im just going to get something as close to stock as i can. i need the money to go to something else at this monent.

im not so sure im gonna rid myself of that to be honest...as it will swap over nicely to my s-10 and id be going from drums to disc eww.

foff667
08-30-2004, 03:43 PM

actually now that u mentioned parts were you interested in anything you saw? I'll cut ya a good deal hehe

twiztidz28
08-30-2004, 03:47 PM
ive been really looking to do a 4th gen interior (dash, doorpanels, console) swap into my car to compliment my seats and the motor when it goes in. only problem right now is that i dont got extra money till late september. if thats not a problem you let me know what you want and its yours.

foff667
08-30-2004, 03:50 PM
ive been really looking to do a 4th gen interior (dash, doorpanels, console) swap into my car to compliment my seats and the motor when it goes in. only problem right now is that i dont got extra money till late september. if thats not a problem you let me know what you want and its yours.

im still just taking offers at this point...everyone thats stepped up has been out of state and im not digging shipping things as large as the center console or dash ya know :)

twiztidz28
08-30-2004, 03:52 PM
I hear ya on that. shipping big things suck.

twiztidz28
08-30-2004, 03:54 PM
ill talk to you alter about the interior. plus i know where you live and i can jsut come and get it.

foff667
08-30-2004, 03:57 PM
ill talk to you alter about the interior. plus i know where you live and i can jsut come and get it.

sounds good