PDA

View Full Version : Keep my car or upsize?

Oddball
09-01-2004, 06:35 PM
I have a question that I would like your opinion on.

My "daily driver" is a 2001 Honda Accord V6. Absolutely beautiful car with plenty of power. It is a pleasure to drive. I have three young children (3, 1, 1). For the past few months I have gotten away with having all three in the IROC (no air bags) when I needed to take them as three car seats do not fit across the back seat of my Accord. As funny as it sounds I have to take the t-tops off so I can "top load" the twins in the rear seat.

We already have a minivan which my wife drives but sometimes with her job she is stuck at work and I have to pick them up from day care.

When the winter comes or if it is raining I may not be able to use the IROC and when the twins are in booster seats they can't go in the back seat as it does not have a shoulder belt.

This leaves me with two options:

1. Install an air-bag cut-off switch in the Accord (I already posted a messge asking if anyone knows a shop that will do this), whihc is now allowable by the NHTSA if you sign a form.

2. "Trade up" for a similar vintage "bigger" car. Many of them retail for the same amount as the Accord so there may be a slight cost to trade as I'll get wholesale on the trade.

What I'd like to ask is do you think I should try for the air bag cut-off, or try for a bigger car? If I go the bigger car route I like the 300M but will be open to anything, even something with three rows that is not a gas-guzzling phallic-symbol tank. What kinds of cars would you recommend in a 2000 - 2002 vintage?

PBodyGT87
09-01-2004, 10:26 PM
I've heard that getting the airbag cut off isn't too hard of a job, it's probably just easier for you to have that done, rather than trading a car.

Squirrel
09-01-2004, 10:37 PM
definatly a supercharged 4 door GM car...GS or GTP would do the family fine :P

BigAls87Z28
09-01-2004, 11:29 PM
2000-2002 Vintage you say?

Well, I suggest any of the 4dr GM W bodies, Grand Prix, Regal, or Impy. Out of thoes 3, the Regal GS comes supercharged, and has much more gizmos such as heated seats, leather, sunroof, yadda yadda, and grandmas drive it so you could find a low-milage Regal GS for cheap.
This old guy, maybe a shade under 80, came in for a battery for his 01 GS. He had 24k miles on it...I offered him 5k, but he couldnt hear me. Oh well.

You could also look at the 2dr Monte and GP, but I suggest the 4dr model for the family.

Or you could be a pimp, like me, and get a Maxx 8)

Vanilla_Gorilla
09-01-2004, 11:32 PM
1960 pontiac futura
you dont need them new cars
alot of metal and big ass seats
more than enough protection for your youngin's

or get the airbag cut off