PDA

View Full Version : Possible engine trouble w/ my 95 t/a :(

j0n
09-04-2004, 12:17 AM
the car...
95 t/a w/ t56 trans and completely stock w/ 115k miles

2 questions...

first, i just seafoamed my engine for the first time today and now i have trouble starting the car and my "check engine light" won't go off
what happened?

second(this was happening before the seafoam), the car idle's fine but when i step on the gas i get a weird somewhat "clicking" noise coming from the engine...the clicking speeds up steadily with the rpms of the motor...
any ideas?

thanks in advance

ar0ck
09-04-2004, 12:22 AM
The clicking could possibly an exhaust leak, most likely in the manifolds, or somewhere further down on the exhaust.

Is seafoam like an engine cleaner?

Might have damaged the Opti maybe?

j0n
09-04-2004, 12:24 AM
The clicking could possibly an exhaust leak, most likely in the manifolds, or somewhere further down on the exhaust.

i hope so...gives me an excuse to rip out the AIR and install a header-back exhaust :D

j0n
09-04-2004, 01:03 AM
any other ideas? :?

Amy
09-04-2004, 01:33 AM
HAve access to a scanner? Check engine can be a multitude of things. :?

j0n
09-04-2004, 01:35 AM
HAve access to a scanner? Check engine can be a multitude of things. :?

scanner?

NJSPEEDER
09-04-2004, 07:49 AM
you need to see what the computer is thinking. see if a local shop will plug it in and tell you what the codes are and see what they think the noise is. any reasonable shop shoudl do it for free.

later
tim

Squirrel
09-04-2004, 09:45 AM
seafoam killed my O2's....just something to think about....after you did it, did you drive aggresively to get everything out or did you just do the smoke show and leave it?

ArCoLoG2
09-04-2004, 09:47 AM
Check engine lights pretty much only come on for emissions reasons. There are a few codes that aren't really emissions related, but anything involving the cats, exhaust, MAF, stuff like that...So when you did the "seafoam" thing, did you cover your wires and electrical equipment with plastic bags or anything?? Might have got some water in there...Definately get the codes read, I know that Auto Zones will do it for free, not sure about Advance Auto though, they will only give you a code number, but you can look in the haynes or chiltons manual for the codes on the LT-1. Good Luck!!

Squirrel
09-04-2004, 10:08 AM
Seafoam is an internal engine cleaner, you put it in the gas tank, crank case, and suck it thru a vaccuum line in the TB....it acts and cleans all the gunk/carbon/other misc. crap out of the engine....also makes a lot of smoke when it gets cleaned out :D

j0n
09-04-2004, 10:41 AM
yea i made sure to drive it hard and had fun smokin up the neighborhood (w/o frying my tires for a change)

i think i'll try pep boys and see if they'll plug into my car and see whats up

Amy
09-05-2004, 12:22 AM
we charge 89 bucks. ask around and see if someone you know has a diag tool (ie scanner). It's worth the money if ya don't have someone to do it, but it's easy to do. So if you know someone with one have them do it instead.

j0n
09-05-2004, 09:44 AM
we charge 89 bucks. ask around and see if someone you know has a diag tool (ie scanner). It's worth the money if ya don't have someone to do it, but it's easy to do. So if you know someone with one have them do it instead.

yea i went and found that out...thats alot more expensive than i thought...i needa find sum1 wit a scanner