PDA

View Full Version : lt1 people, emmissions question

vin1382
09-06-2004, 08:50 PM
on my 93 lt1, i would like to install pacesetters long-tube headers and y. they only come as non-emmission compliant. I would like to remove my EGR and AIR system and block it off, then weld in a cat.

Has anyone done the same and passed the sniffer? I know I should fail visual, but I can get by that. Just need to know if the cat will be enough to pass the sniffer.

thanks

foff667
09-06-2004, 10:16 PM
just get it inspected then get the headers...thats what i did at least.

vin1382
09-06-2004, 10:47 PM
ehh..thats only a temporary solution. i dont see why having a cat on wouldnt work. doesnt the AIR pump only affect emission at warmup, and the EGR during cruising? Do they run the car at WOT for emissions? i have no idea how the sniffer testing is actually done.

foff667
09-06-2004, 11:42 PM
ehh..thats only a temporary solution. i dont see why having a cat on wouldnt work. doesnt the AIR pump only affect emission at warmup, and the EGR during cruising? Do they run the car at WOT for emissions? i have no idea how the sniffer testing is actually done.

we on a 93 they put it on the rollers and run it to like 30mph er something...but if your throwing a ses which it might do they could fail you. its a 2 year temporary fix sounded good to me??

Amy
09-07-2004, 01:04 AM
Just buy a sticker like the rest of us. :burnout:

vin1382
09-07-2004, 10:52 AM

we on a 93 they put it on the rollers and run it to like 30mph er something...but if your throwing a ses which it might do they could fail you. its a 2 year temporary fix sounded good to me??

the dude at PCMforless said he should be able to get rid of the SES lights that might pop up with removing that stuff..so i should be ok. Guess im just gonna have to try my luck, and if it fails, take Amy's suggestion. Thanks

ar0ck
09-07-2004, 11:33 AM
Just buy a sticker like the rest of us. :burnout:

You mean back alley inspections right?

Squirrel
09-07-2004, 02:45 PM
CEL's dont matter on OBD1 cars, thats what the characters at DMV told us

vin1382
09-07-2004, 05:01 PM

CEL's? What on earth is a CEL? and your avatar is gonna give me a seizure!

Tru2Chevy
09-08-2004, 03:55 AM

Check Engine Light

- Justin

vin1382
09-08-2004, 12:35 PM

Check Engine Light

- Justin

Ahh, I see. I heard that if there is any check engine light on, you automatically fail. Thats a new law as of last year. So to be safe, id rather just have them turned off.

Tru2Chevy
09-08-2004, 02:09 PM
I'm 99% sure that only applies to the OBDII cars, because they are scanned now, instead of having to pass the sniffer test.

- Justin