PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Early 4th gen TA.

89 Trans Am WS6
09-08-2004, 04:03 PM
Hey guys..

Recently ive been weighing in the cost of a engine swap in my 89, and the cost of doing it right, and ive begun to notice that for a little more money, i can get a much newer car. I have found a few 4th gen birds with LT1s 93-97, go for the <6000 mark.This to me is a good thing, since i can get the look of a sweet 4th gen, the updated newer interior mabe leather seats, AC! and a whole new world of performance parts. Yeah i know they had performance parts for thirdgens, but motor wise, not for me. (305 TBI) Auto trannys are fine. Infact id hafta perfect my stick driving tech before id be able to drive a 6spd car anyway. So heres what i want to know..

What year LT1s to look for? I know that a later year one had the revised opti that was vented or something..but if i should buy a 4th gen that was before that time, for whatever reason..all it would need is a new, updated opti right? also does anyone know of any that are for sale/have one for sale/know somone with one for sale?

Just looking around..lots of the ones i see online are in like PA or something..

thanks alot..

joe

j0n
09-08-2004, 07:50 PM
95 is obd1 meaning its easier to pass emmissions inspection...and is the first year for the vented opti HOWEVER you can swap to a vented opti for the same cost of replacing it...look for a car with a recently replaced water pump as that causes all the opti/electrical nightmares with lt1 cars

ar0ck
09-08-2004, 10:19 PM
insurance

89 Trans Am WS6
09-08-2004, 10:47 PM
i dont see it being that bad..i pay like 110 for the TA now..cant seeing it be that much tons more, if it is...i guess id hafta deal with it