PDA

View Full Version : Sept. 11

ar0ck
09-10-2004, 11:29 PM
Where were you September 11th?

I was inbetween classes my junior year of highschoolwhen I over-heard people saying a plane crashed into the world trade centers, and i brushed it off as a small single engine plain. , Untill my buddy came running down the hall-way yelling "Get your guns their attacking washington!"

Then basicly we were glued to the radio/tv during every class, as parents were taking their kids out of school, and people were crying. I just felt sick to my stomach, and to this day I still get chills when I see video played back.

Pat
09-11-2004, 12:05 AM
this is an exact post from another forum...

thought i'd share my view with you guys. unfortunately, i only had my roommates crappy digital camera, but you get the point.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/nycepants/WTC3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/nycepants/WTC1.jpg

on 9-11-2001, i was away from home, at a "retreat" for a peer leadership program for my HS (i was a senior). we were in a camp kind of in the middle of nowhere, so we had just taken a break, and one of the teachers was lazy so he drove his jeep from the room we were in to the room where he was staying, and heard about everything on the radio (this was at about 11 AM). shortly after, our group assembled in the main room. i'll never forget where i was or how i felt when the leader of our group told us that there had been a terrorist attack on the united states. my jaw dropped open for about 5 minutes, and we all decided to leave early and go back home. i didn't talk the entire bus ride back (2-3 hours), and when i got home, my friend and i volunteered to stay after school with elementary school kids who's parents might not be coming home. fortunately, they were all picked up.

a year later, i went to school in hoboken, and every day i see a blank spot where the towers stood. one of my best friends at school lost her father that day. i for one will never forget what happened, and i hope none of you do either.

my grandparents remember where they were when pearl harbor happened, my parents remember the day in school when JFK was shot, and i will never ever forget where i was when those bastards took down the twin towers.

i also forgot. the lazy teacher that drove his jeep and heard about the attacks on the radio...

was also personal friends with todd beamer. you know, the "let's roll" guy. they went to church together.

skorpion317
09-11-2004, 12:26 AM
i was in high school, sitting in Anatomy class. the priest at my school (went to Catholic HS) came on the loudspeaker and told us that a plane had crashed into the WTC. he said it was a small plane, but when we turned on the TV it didn't seem like a small plane had hit. And then we watched in horror as the 2nd plane hit. classes pretty much stopped everything. more news rolled in, the pentagon had been hit. i went to my trigonometry class after anatomy, where we just watched the TV the whole time. then the buildings started to fall. I remember just sitting on a desk, i've never been angrier in my whole life. i seriously thought about joining the army, even though i was only 17. the videos of those ******** in Palestine or whatever third-world helhole it was dancing in the streets made me even angrier. i wanted swift and merciless revenge. i still do. i think we should kill every damn terrorist in the world. i think we should take out every Islamic dictatorship. some of my friends lost family members that day.

and it's because of that day, and others like it, that i will vote for george w. bush in the coming election.

Tru2Chevy
09-11-2004, 12:38 AM
I was in my 2nd year of college, the planes struck while I was taking a Spanish exam. On my way out of the classroom bldg. I heard the projector TV on in the auditorium, so I stopped to see what was going on. As I walked up to the door, I heard them mention the twin towers, and then I watched in horror as the second tower collapsed.

The next few days were spent watching the news (I have 10 CDs of captured news footage) and saying good bye to some close friends. I was in Army ROTC my first year, and several of my friends in the program received orders that week to leave school.

and it's because of that day, and others like it, that i will vote for george w. bush in the coming election.

Please don't start this into a political thread.....

- Justin

skorpion317
09-11-2004, 12:45 AM

Please don't start this into a political thread.....

- Justin

i'm not trying to. i'm just giving a reason for my presidential choice. i don't wanna start any arguments.

ArCoLoG2
09-11-2004, 12:55 AM
Well as some of you know, I'm in the Coast Guard, been in since Aug of 2000...I had recently completed my school for Avionics Technician and had started working on my qualification as flight mechanic...

There we were that morning half way done with an inspection on one of our seven helicopters, when someone said a plane crashed into the World Trade Center. As most, I figured it was a small Cessna or something taking off from La Guardia and had troubles...Then we heard a second had crashed...We kept working in more of a quicker manner...Once the first tower fell, I don't think there was a person that wasn't in our lounge watching the TV in horror. Then it became evident what we had to do, we all ran back downstairs and started putting helo's back together as fast as humanly possible, while not being able to concentrate because our minds were trying so hard to make sense of the current events. We sent 2 helo's up to NY within 30 minutes. I still cry to this day sometimes when I think back on it, I can hardly stomach the video clips of the tragedy.

I think many people in this country have lost the realization of what happened 3 years ago. For those few months after, the American people were ONE, and supported the decision to go overseas and do what we HAVE to do. Now there's a change of heart, and I think that the media needs to give the country a re-awakening. The people fighting the war overseas joined the military knowing what could happen some day, they still chose to join, no one is over there against their will. This is coming from someone that has a **** load of friends and co-workers serving over there as we speak. (Yes the Coast Guard goes to war too)

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Dave

BigAls87Z28
09-11-2004, 01:00 AM
I was walking into my 2nd period class, and the TV was on. Someone said a plane crashed into the WTC, but it seemed as if it was a small plane. Then I watched the 2nd one hit on TV, and I remember hearing the news casters freaking out, and then I knew that this was no freak thing. Then, about 20 sec after that, an announcment over the PA system said all TV's, radio's, or anything else must be turned off.
We talked abotu what was going on in class. Everyone was like "its Sadam's fault" I turned around and said, "No, its Osam Bin Laden" (at the time I did not know for sure). Everyone looked at me like I was making his name up. No one knew who the hell he was. After 2nd period, I quickly forgot about it and went on to my 3rd period class. I remember saying to my teacher "2 planes hit the WTC." He looked at me like I was kidding, and no one belived me.
After that, rumors flew aroudn school about the white house was on fire, and then people said that they crashed into the Pentagon. Then news came around that the buildings colapsed. I didnt belive any of thoes.
Then about 12-1230, we were told to go back to home room. From there, over the PA system, our Principal made the annoucement about what was done. Everyone was crying, and I do mean everyone. The office was flooded with kids trying to call there parents or relitives that worked at the WTC...a lot of thoes kids lost there family members in it.

Now something struck me as odd when I went to school up in Mass the next year. For the 1st year rememberance, we talked about it in my english class. We went around the room, and the feeling was much different. They talked about it as if it didnt happen. They treated it as if it was a bombing over in another country. Kinda hurt, and when it was my turn, I told them what it was like for me, and how close it hit to my neighborhood. There faces were pale white. I guess they never knew how big it really was.

skorpion317
09-11-2004, 01:15 AM
after it was announced that Al Qaeda had done it, and they were holed up in Afghanistan, and the Taliban refused to give up Bin Laden, i put up some posters in my room. They were all of Afghanistan, with the words "YOU'RE GOING DOWN" written over it. i did the same for Iraq. I'll do it for whoever we go up against next.

LS1LT1
09-11-2004, 02:21 AM
They treated it as if it was a bombing over in another country. Kinda hurt, and when it was my turn, I told them what it was like for me, and how close it hit to my neighborhood. There faces were pale white. I guess they never knew how big it really was.
Yup, a mere 20 miles away (the WTC) from where I'm sitting right now this was all going on, it hit VERY close to home both geographically and emotionally.
I slept through the whole thing, got a call from my sister in law at around 12:30 that day and she told me about it. I got up, turned on the news and was just shocked/devastated/distraught by it all.
I later went up to some higher ground at the far end of my town that has always provided a nice view of NYC...the view that day wasn't so nice. :cry:
The whole thing still freaks me out to this day (as it should for anybody) and I get quite pissed off when I really think about it, this thing (not just the WTC but the Pentagon and that amazingly heroic crashed plane in PA as well) was (is) HUGE, almost totally unbelievable even.

I'm going into the city later today for dinner and a comedy show with some fellow F-body friends and we will remember in our way, we'll be happy/proud that we can still go into that fine city and we will be sad that it all has to be etched into our memories forever.
God bless all that perished on that sad day.

Squirrel
09-11-2004, 11:20 AM
was in Mrs. Ludwig's intro to business class, i remember her walking thru the door after talking with the business head about it....she was telling us this thing, people of our generation will always remember this happened, ask someone older than you what they were doing the day Kennedy got shot, they'll tell ya

TheWraith
09-11-2004, 11:32 AM
i was on the way to work that morning and i was running a little late. I worked in weehawken nj, right outside of the city between the lincoln and holland tunnels at the time. I had a view of the whole city from my desk.

I was WELL within visible sight of the twin towers from where i was sitting in pretty heavy traffic on rt 78. It wasn't one of those things you noticed anymore though since i saw it every day commuting. same with the statue of liberty that i passed every day. I didn't even look up and see the giant trail of smoke from the fire until it was mentioned on howard stern that i was listening to. I called in to a friend at work and asked what she could see, and right as i was talking to her, the second plane hit and we both watched it happen with our own eyes. I could hear people screaming and crying at work since almost everyone was apparently looking out the windows. I will never forget that day. There's a lot more details to the story i could share, but I just don't feel like typing it, and it's bringing back some memories thinking about it. :?

89CamaroRS
09-11-2004, 12:10 PM
i was in my highschool's media center doing research for a term paper when the librarian started running around turning on every TV in the room. she had been listening to the radio when the first plane hit. we picked up the situation 2 minutes or so after the first plane hit. everyone in the room was talking about what a terrible accident it was etc. then we all watched the second plane hit live and there was one of the most sickening silences i've ever heard. at my next class the teacher never came in, we found out later that her nephew worked in the south tower.

about 3 hours after the attack i got a call on my cell from a friend in north jersey. they didn't have any tv's in her school and her principle tried to keep the peace by not mentioning anything about the tragedy. highschool was located on the top of a ridge and the smoke from the towers had set off her school's fire alarms.

superblonde
09-11-2004, 01:39 PM
I was in my second year of college at TCNJ. I had Introduction for Elementary Education for three hours that morning. We had no idea what had happened but ironically enough we were talking about what we would do as teachers in order to handle a crisis, death in the family, etc.
I didn't even know about the attacks until after I got home and turned on the tv.

NJSPEEDER
09-11-2004, 02:36 PM
i was actually home sick that day when my phone rang. it was my mom and she sounded paniced. she asked if i was ok and i asked her what was going on, all she said was to turn on the tv.
at that moment i knew i had to go to work, it turned into the longest and hardest day of work of my whole life. at teh time i worked for teh community blood council of new jersey, a small blood center here in ewing. i got to work by 11 and i was greated by an overwhelming crowd of people trying to help. it was really amazing.
with phones ringing, volunteers runnign around, donations of juice and other small supplies flowing in between conversations with the media and calls from people looking to help loved ones it was am incredible day.
the biggest lesson i got from that day was that regardless of color, language, or religion, at teh end of the day we were all americans, and that is what makes us strong. in time of need personal beliefs and differences were put aside and people helped each other jsut for the sake of doing it.
thankfully everyone i knew who was in the path of danger was ok in the end, maybe emotionally scarred, but not injured.
we are all protectors of freedom, i hoep it is something that everyone here takes seriously. it is as simple as putting a flag in front of your house or on your car or jsut shaking the hand of the service men and women who have made a commitment to protect us.
to all who serve i send out a very heart felt thankyou. may god bless and protect each and every one of you.

later
tim

foff667
09-11-2004, 03:50 PM
i was at work listening to pst...at first it didnt sound like much other then a small plane hit from how they said it...went home on my lunch at 11am turned on the TV saw what was going on when i got a call from my job (i work at a bank) saying they were closing early and to come back to count down my drawer and ****...o fwiw today is my 4th wedding anniversary :)

ShitOnWheels
09-11-2004, 08:21 PM
I was going to Mercer County, but had just woken up and taken a shower when I went onto another forum I read and read the thread about the first plane. I turned on the tv to watch the second plane hit. I went to my history class, where one of the kids came in, said something along the lines of "I'm sure you guys have heard, the towers were hit and my dad works there...I'm not coming to class."

After class the next room had a projection screen up and was streaming MSNBC onto it from the computer. I watched it for a little bit, then went to my car to get lunch and listened to pst I think...went back for my math class and they closed the campus down. Went to work to see if they needed me, but most of the parents were picking up the kids (I worked in the day care), so I went home and watched the news all night.

My boyfriend at the time had an uncle who was in the city. My bf couldn't get in touch with him, nor could any other family member. Sometime that night he finally called...he watched the towers fall, but he was ok.

bencar
09-11-2004, 08:46 PM
I was at work, running off copies of address changes, when all of a sudden an announcement came over my portable radio that a plane, possibly a small plane, had just crashjed into one of the WTC Towers. Within minutes I became the most popular guy in the room, as everyone crowded around my 'work area' to hear the updates on what was happening.

Squirrel
09-11-2004, 10:35 PM
yeah, my dad's a fireman, he was on his way up to help within hours of it happening, he still has a chunk of marble from the south tower i believe

Ian
09-11-2004, 11:09 PM
I first heard about it when I went to latin which was third period. Almost all day we just watched the TV for late bearking news. Once I got to 9th period, they turned off the TV. that was english and the teacher made us write aobut how we felt. very dramatic day.

The Fixer
09-11-2004, 11:43 PM
When I heard the fire siren this morning at 9:02, it dawned on me what today's date was. I remember exactly where I was on 9/11/01. The town I work in (Cliffside Park) is right across the river from the midtown section of NYC. It's about 10 minutes below the George Washington Bridge. Right down the block from the school is a beautiful view of the skyline. I was at work in the High School, and was walking down the hall to another teacher's classroom to say Hi when the scene of the first plane smoking inside the first tower cought my eye on a television. I walked into this other room, and watched in utter disbelief as the second plane crashed. I was horrified. I went down to my classroom and we watched the news coverage all day. I watched as the towers collapsed. We were close enough that we could smell the smoke and had ash on our cars when we left that day.

On September 12, I found out one of my former students had an older brother that didn't make it out of the Towers. He was doing his college internship at one of the companies based up around the area one of the planes hit.

It was truly a devastating day for so many people here in the NY Metro area, out in the fields of PA, and in DC. We will never forget those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

jims69camaro
09-12-2004, 03:45 AM
people say they will never forget, but most are running around now
caught up in their little lives and only on days like the anniversary
do you hear anything.

during the weeks after that tragic day, people were running around
with flags on their car and everyone was suddenly patriotic and proud
to be an american. you heard very little except a cry for vengeance.

i will never forget. i am as proud now as i ever was, and i still honor
our country by having a flag on our house and my car. i am still looking
for vengeance, because, as far as i am concerned, until they collect all
of the leaders of the taliban, including Bin Hiding, the job is not done.

i support the war - not in the blind way most people did in the first few
weeks of it, but because i know that without the war there will be no
justice. the people who took 3000 american (and other countries'
people's) lives on september 11 need to be brought to justice, even if that
means that they are only running for their lives for the rest of the short
number of days they have left on the earth.

people forget. i don't know how many times i see men old enough to
have served in WW II driving around in japanese cars; or guys old
enough to have been in the korean conflict running around in hyundais
or daewoo or kias. in 50 years,people will be driving around in afghani cars.
bet me.

http://www.nethirdgen.org/forum/graemlins/usa.gif

skorpion317
09-12-2004, 08:18 PM
the problem with people forgetting about events is the media. the media selects what they want you to hear, or whatever will get them the most ratings/papers sold, etc. you didn't hear about Afghanistan after the Taliban fell, even though there are still thousands of troops in that hellhole. the same goes for Iraq...as soon as something new comes along, the troops there and the service they are doing will be forgotten. Americans are infamous for having short attention spans when it comes to this stuff. I too had an American flag on my old car, but it got pretty beat up and i had to take it off. my parents have 9-11-01 stickers on their cars, and so does my brother. we don't forget.

MyLittlePony
09-13-2004, 12:55 AM
I was home just waking up for class, I turned on the TV right after it happened, then my mom called and asked me what was going on...it was right about the time they said it was terrorists. As I was on the phone with her she started crying and I remembered my father was supposed to go to a meeting in the 1st tower that day and promptly ran into the bathroom and got sick... My sister ran home from Ewing High as I was running into my car to get her, then we went to pick up my other sister from elementary school, my mom's friend drove her home from work. Basically, we didn't know if my father was alive or dead until 4PM when he finally got a hold of us...It turns out he got into the city late, and was about 3 blocks away from the towers when they fell, he and his coworkers were in another coworkers apartment...i'll never forget how I felt that day I don't think i've ever been that scared and that numb all at once in my life.

Demian
09-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Jeez I was home in Bay Ridge Brooklyn ironing my pants for work.
I was watching the news to get a traffic report and still pissed from the Giants getting smashed on Monday Night football.

I remember like yesterday channel 7 switching over to the live feed of a possible aircraft that hit one of the towers.
They had some janitor down the street giving his eye witness accout of a possible twin engine plane that hit the tower.

Always thinkin the worse I was saying another terrorist attack, not really think it was true... Then the next plan hit right on the screen.

Then the emotion sets in and rest of the day was tryin to make sure my father escaped from downtown. He worked down the block from the trade center and to see if all my friends that worked in the trade center got out ok. I some how decided to drive to work (in Long island).

Stuck on the beginning of the Belt Pkwy with everyone out of there cars watching we could see the first tower fall.

Its all kind of a blur after that.

jims69camaro
09-13-2004, 01:04 PM
skorpion: agreed.

MyLittlePony: i know you will never forget. it's much different when
you know someone that was there - and the sinking feeling you had when
you thought that somehow they wouldn't be making it out.

i didn't answer the question. i was at work, Microwarehouse, and i
remember several people gathering in front of the TVs in the break
room, which i could see from my desk. i drink several cups of coffee
daily, and noticing my cup was empty i made the excuse to fill it, but i
really wanted to see what was attracting so many people to the TVs. i
thought maybe Jerry had some interesting guests on or something.

so, as i am filling my cup, adding sugar, etc., i overhear the TV announcer
say that they thought it was a twin engine plane, a pilot error, etc. i asked
someone who was standing there what was going on, and they said that
the newsguy didn't want to say it was terrorists, but that's what was
being rumored. i went back to my desk and turned on all of the news
alerts i could find: MSN sends out news briefs for important stuff, new
headlines, things that will really have an impact. CNN does the same thing,
which is what i was interested in finding out. i had just made it to both
sites and got registered when the screens froze. i found out later that
so many people had jumped on their sites that they couldn't handle the
traffic and had to shut down. but the alerts kept coming. about one
every two minutes or so. that's when i heard people in the break room
start to cry - loud sobbing and screams of incredulity. i knew something
major had happened and that's when the news alert came over: a second
plane had hit the other tower. it was no longer a rumor, the newsguys
were calling it a terrorist attack. i got ahold of a live newsfeed on the
computer so i didn't have to add to the population in the breakroom.
people started to gather around my desk, as well. then the towers
started to fall. it's a blur after that. the managers had decided to shut us
down, whether it was because no one was working anyway or if they had
true concern about our kids in school and loved ones at work - not to
mention that just about everyone knew someone who worked in the
towers - so they sent us home. i spent the rest of the day watching the
news. it probably wasn't a good thing, because they kept showing it over
and over again, the whole timeline from the start of it - the guys in the
street with the video camera - until the seocnd tower had fallen. i felt
anger, hatred and a murderous rage well up inside me. that was followed
by a depression - knowing that there wasn't a single thing i could do to
help out other than donate blood.

no, i will never forget. and whoever is president come january, they had
better bring me osama's head.

LS1LT1
09-13-2004, 02:21 PM
people forget. i don't know how many times i see men old enough to
have served in WW II driving around in japanese cars; or guys old
enough to have been in the korean conflict running around in hyundais
or daewoo or kias. in 50 years,people will be driving around in afghani cars.
bet me.
:werd: This pisses me off to no end as well. :x :evil:

ProtekYoNutz
09-13-2004, 06:17 PM
a lil late in posting...but i was in gym class....walked into the gym and everyones faces were in a state of shock. My teacher brought in the radio and all we did was sit in shock and listened to what was going on. Never will I forget (as i know no one else would) how everyone felt, looked, or what was said. America went through a lot that day and it honestly doesnt even feel like it has been 3 years. Its amazing to see how our country pulled even closer together to lend a helping hand in a time of great need. Thanks goes out to everyone who was involved and still is.