PDA

View Full Version : Spohn Torque arm installed...wow...

V
09-21-2004, 12:04 AM
well today i finally got my car to my old shop and got it up on the lift, i had my exhaust welded so it wont fall off anymore, and i finally installed my Spohn Adjustable Torque arm. It the arm that mounts to a crossmember that replaces the stock g-load brace. It took about 15 min to install and as soon as i had the car on the road, i noticed the difference immediately. The car felt much stiffer and wanted hook much better. The old setup felt spongey and would move the entire trans/shifter up under acceleration, now it's just pure acceleration. I love it, I'm sorry i didnt put it in 2 months ago when i got it instead of waiting till now for some reason. I still have to put my relocation brackets in( maybe not if the arm can adjust to compensate for what they do) and i need to get my subframe connectors and lca's. Only one problem with the Spohn setupo.. now i am too low, i never thought i'd say that but i am, i need to get new lowering springs with less drop. right now the lower crossmember has about 2.5-3" of ground clearence under the middle of the car and i scrape on everything... BAD. so my current springs will be for sale now in the classified section. I plan on attempting to go to Island this sunday and get some new numbers. and hopefully the TQ arm was worth the money. It'll definately be needed with my new motor coming soon.

foff667
09-21-2004, 03:46 PM
get the relo brackets too...its all a piece to the puzzle that is the TA setup.

V
09-21-2004, 04:01 PM
i have the bmr relocation brackets already, i just didnt have time to put them in yesterday, probably next weekend i will, by then i should have found and bought some LCA's (full rod end race versions) and an adj panhard rod. I got the bolt on relocation brackets since i'm only keeping this rear till spring at most, then i'm doing a 9" and i'll sell this rear and ll weld the bolt on ones to the new rear then. In a few weeks, i'll buy subframe connectors and during the winter i'll get my front setup, tubular k member and a arms, but the front is getting installed when i drop the engine out and put in the new one.

camaroracer1992
12-27-2004, 10:19 PM
i have one of the first design ones that he made. i bought it off of tim along with all the rear suspension components. i so far have cut a best 1.5 60' time and that was WITH tire rub in the fender!!!! im sure to see some 1.4's this season out with the beast!!

Injuneer
12-27-2004, 11:19 PM
Put the LCA relo brackets in.... they do a different job than the pinion angle adjustment on the torque arm.

If you have the BMR "bolt-in" brackets, they can not be transferred to a Moser aftermarket rear. They only fit the stock rear axle brackets, or a Strange 12-bolt.

ar0ck
12-28-2004, 02:34 AM
Now is the install or set-up pretty similar to a 3rd gens? Because I only rember doing work on the T/a when I did the trans swap.

Wasted Youth
12-28-2004, 07:17 AM
i have the bmr relocation brackets already, i just didnt have time to put them in yesterday, probably next weekend i will, by then i should have found and bought some LCA's (full rod end race versions) and an adj panhard rod. I got the bolt on relocation brackets since i'm only keeping this rear till spring at most, then i'm doing a 9" and i'll sell this rear and ll weld the bolt on ones to the new rear then. In a few weeks, i'll buy subframe connectors and during the winter i'll get my front setup, tubular k member and a arms, but the front is getting installed when i drop the engine out and put in the new one.

if you want i have an adjustable spherical rod panhard bar...its brand new, ill sell it to you for $50...i can show you pics of it if you want...

V
12-28-2004, 11:06 AM
way to bring back a thread from sept... lol

Injuneer...the BMR brackets i have should be fine for me. Since when i do a 9" it'll be an aftermarket housing with all the brackets cut from a stock 10 bolt and tig welded to the 9". so everything should fit, even if it involes some cutting and welding.

Transam4life.... the TQ arm, lcas, and panhard rod are all exactly like a 3rd gen, all the same style, most parts even swap over the same. Â*the TQ arm i have is for 93-02 only because it mounts now to the body and not the tranny anymore. But if you worked on a 3rd gen, this will be just like it.

wasted....what style panhard is it? Â*im mainly looking for an adjustable one with spherical rod ends on both sides and single adjuster in the middle. Â*Also is it a brand name or a custom one.

and i have yet to install my relocation brackets, haha, i have been busy with work all fall so finally this winter ill get to it. Â*I'm doing a lotta work on the rear suspension and body. I have to install my replacement driveshaft(bent mine), subframe connectors, New LCAs, panhard rod, install relocation brackets, new rear lowering springs, poly sway bar bushings. I just gotta sell some of those gta parts soon to be able to buy the new parts. then i'm also taking my euro bumper back off and sending it for paint and wiring up my rear fogs.
thatll hold me over a while till the engine swap, then i'll install a tubular k member and tubular front control arms, and then the roll cage goes in. :twisted:

Wasted Youth
12-28-2004, 08:57 PM
i can email you pics of it...brand new, adjusts on both sides and has spherical rod ends..bought it as a bmr...and it looks way to nice to be a homemade...

V
12-29-2004, 12:13 AM
ok, yea send me pics, my email is smokingss@aol.com. i'm definately interested.