PDA

View Full Version : 86 Trans Am Amp

SpeakersGoBoom
09-28-2004, 06:50 PM
Does anyone know how much wattage the stock amp in an 86 Trans Am puts out. I have it in my car, and i want to reconnect it to my 800 watt system so i can use the bass gain switch on the dash again. I doubt the STOCK amplifier was 400w (i gotta stay under 1200), but it'd be nice to know how much power I'm putting out.
:fluffy: :nutkick: :dj: :banana: :whip: :rice: :pimp: :hail: :burnout: :bang: :grampsch: :cheers: (I love these faces! I wish aol had them!)

twiztidz28
09-29-2004, 08:13 AM
is it a stock headunit? from what I am reading that is what you are running. and that is probably no more then20-30 wats per chanel. and thats just from the head unit it self. I dont think our cars came with an amp. oh by the way 1200 from a stock amp is very unheardof. I have a kicker kx1200.1 amp for my solobarics and that pumps out 1475 peak. throw that in with my kx300.4 amp which rated at 400 peak and the 160 from the head unit if you even want to count that.

your in paramus let me know if you want to get together sometime i could help ya out.

SpeakersGoBoom
09-29-2004, 09:39 AM
I have an owners manual which states it exists, and a service manual which SHOWS it exists and where it is, but neither of them tell me how much power it has. It was in fact an option on the mid to late 80's trans ams (dont think camero got it, but cant be 100% sure) It was really nothing at all, compared to what's out there today in the aftermarked field. and 800w arent comming off the stock headuint (i wish! that woud be a beast!) i have 2 aftermarked amps in the trunk, putting out 800 combined. 1200 is the max that the subs are rated for. if u wanna chill sometime, my email is BluDragonRaver@aol.com. drop a line. :dj: :banana: :fluffy:

SpeakersGoBoom
09-29-2004, 09:44 AM
Sit in your trans and look at the dash, just to the right of the steering wheel, below the guages. you'll see a little insert in the dash. thats where the control went if the car came with it. if not, they just put in a plastic filler :dj: :banana: :fluffy:

twiztidz28
09-29-2004, 10:04 AM
I got the incert but it looks like its the same thing on the ls1's for the programing. ahh i could be wrong who cares no need for a stock amp anyways. I have to redo my speakers inside the car anyways soon and move my subs to the back seat.so if you want my box you can have it. it sits flush in the trunk.

SpeakersGoBoom
09-29-2004, 10:18 AM
sealed or ported?

SpeakersGoBoom
09-29-2004, 10:20 AM
the reason I want the stock amp reconnected is so i can control the subs from the dashboard, and the control will only work with the stock amp. :dj: :banana: :fluffy:

twiztidz28
09-29-2004, 10:35 AM
what kind of subs do you have? the box i have is sealed. What amp are you running? i got a remote knob for my subs from my amp in the trunk.

SpeakersGoBoom
09-29-2004, 10:45 AM
I have 2 10 inch diesel audio dual coil aluminum subs in a ported box thats made to fit perfectly into my trunk well. I considered having a cutoff switch installed, but i have a thing for stock (well, as stock as you can get with dual 10s in your trunk) thats why i wont change the radio. everything lights up orange, and i like it that way. your box, is it built for a 3rd gen?

SpeakersGoBoom
09-29-2004, 10:48 AM
Ported sounds better in a car like a trans am or a camero, with no defined "trunk". Sealed is all the better to set off car alarms with. how big are the speakers in your box? and how much for the box? :dj: :banana: :fluffy:

twiztidz28
09-29-2004, 10:57 AM
i built the box 2 years ago to fit my kicker solobaric s12l7s. it was just the right size to put those square monsters in there. but im building new box for the back seat once i get weatherstripping for my ttops and a headliner. dont want it leaking.

SpeakersGoBoom
09-29-2004, 11:01 AM
sweet. how much for the box?

twiztidz28
09-29-2004, 11:28 AM
so if you want my box you can have it. it sits flush in the trunk.

Its right there. the only thing you would need to do is to make a new face for the top but thats the easy part.

SpeakersGoBoom
09-29-2004, 08:44 PM
great, but right now, the sound system is irrelivent, because my alternator just died. first my last one died in park ridge, and now this one, which was installed, seriously, within the last 2 weeks. first it starts putting out crazy power, like, 15-17 amps, and then it wont give me more than 9, then it goes back to 13, then it lets the battery drain out while i'm trying to clean my tape deck. it sits in the driveway, dead. Worst part is i'm blocking in my mom's car. I'm thinking its a regulator problem. its going into the shop tomorrow, but does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?

twiztidz28
09-30-2004, 08:31 AM
i have had the same setup in my car for over 2 years with the same altenator and battery. my suggestion is that you get a yellow top battery. my system pulls me down to like 9 sometimes and still pumps. I have only blew 1 fuse for my internal speakers and taht was it. if you need help with the new alt let me know. its easy to put in. but seriously get a yellow top even when i have left my lights on my car would start up within a hour of me turning them off and letting the car sit. best investment i ever made.

SpeakersGoBoom
09-30-2004, 08:34 AM
is yellowtop a type of battery or a brand name? i never heard of it before. as for the alternator, its in the shop getting replaced. they called to tell me that they were replacing it because it kept spiking.

twiztidz28
09-30-2004, 08:45 AM
optima (brand name) yellow top (line of battery)

they are a lil pricey but the best thing i have put in my car. I got mine for $170 lasted me 2 harsh winters and 1,800 watts of power for over 2 years.

SpeakersGoBoom
09-30-2004, 09:12 AM
well, i know what im getting next, once i have some money saved up. Thanks man. and by the way, this sunday, provided it doesnt rain, im going to open the dash and look at the amp. ill post how many watts it is, just in case anyone besides me is curious.

wrong generation
10-12-2004, 06:04 PM
where is there a stock amp located in a 86 ta??? i have an 86 ta and didnt know they came stock with amps.

SpeakersGoBoom
10-14-2004, 08:47 AM
if you have it, it'll be inside the dash on the passenger side. Take off the hush panel and look up. you should see it.
To save time and energy...look at your dashboard just to the right of the steering wheel. if that first cutout has a button and a slider, you have the subwoofer/amp setup. If not, you dont. It was a very limited option.

wrong generation
10-14-2004, 08:59 AM
ok so thats whats suposed to go where the blank spot is iv been wondering what was suposed to be there.

SpeakersGoBoom
10-14-2004, 09:03 AM
The only way Ive found out about it was because my last car, an 87 Firebird, actually had the owners manual and service manual with it. Havent had a chance to open up the dash to look at it yet...EVERY TIME I GET OFF FROM WORK, IT (freeking) RAINS! WHAT THE (frick) IS THIS (poop)?!