PDA

View Full Version : Rearswap/ speedo correcting

IROCdan330
09-29-2004, 09:09 PM
After I swap from my thirdgen 2.73 rear to a 4th gen 3.42 rear, how do i correct my cable driven speedo?

NJSPEEDER
09-29-2004, 09:48 PM
in 87 you should still have a cable driven speedo. go to teh junk yard and look for a V6 car with a 3.42 rear and an auto and grab teh speedo drive and ring gears from it.
it is a rather easy, but very messy operation. :)

later
tim

The Fixer
09-29-2004, 09:58 PM
You'll need to change the drive and driven gears in the tranny, but I have no idea how to do it on a 700-R4 (or any other trans for that matter).

I found this site with a quick search on :google: - check the link out - http://www.transmissioncenter.net/speedometer_calibration_______va.htm

Hope that helps ya!

IROCdan330
09-30-2004, 05:48 AM
i forgot to just look on 700r4.com

they have a speedo calibrater majigger...i put in my tire size and the rear end ratio and they tell me what tooth drive and driven gears i need.

looks like a 15 tooth drive gear and a 40 tooth driven gear.
Now I'll either buy them or do what Tim said and get 'em from the junkyard.

HardcoreZ28
09-30-2004, 07:34 AM
Just go buy them. I wouldn't trust a junkyard piece. The gears are only plastic and get brittle over time. I bought new ones when I swapped gears in my car and I believe it cost about $40 for both...maybe less. The swap is simple. You remove the side cover from the tranny where the speedo cable goes in and you also remove the tailshaft. Jack the rear of the tranny up a little and you won't lose much fluid. It's not a messy job at all really. Should take an hour.