PDA

View Full Version : emissions and engines and stuff

IROCdan330
09-30-2004, 05:10 PM
I'm gonna need a new engine before february to pass emissions. My 305 has got 60K miles on it, i've had the valve seals done already, and the thing still blows blue smoke out of the pipes on startup. I know I will fail emissions right away if they see the smoke, so its either redo the valve seals again or get a new engine. My new engine of choice is a 350 of some sort. I'm thinking a vortec 350, because I can get the intake base to fit the TPI. I just need to know what will and will not pass emissions here. Thanks guys.

foff667
09-30-2004, 09:05 PM
I'm gonna need a new engine before february to pass emissions. My 305 has got 60K miles on it, i've had the valve seals done already, and the thing still blows blue smoke out of the pipes on startup. I know I will fail emissions right away if they see the smoke, so its either redo the valve seals again or get a new engine. My new engine of choice is a 350 of some sort. I'm thinking a vortec 350, because I can get the intake base to fit the TPI. I just need to know what will and will not pass emissions here. Thanks guys.

if its not smoking at the inspection station your fine...its not like they turn your car off just to restart it.

IROCdan330
10-01-2004, 05:36 AM
After sittin for a little while (such as in line) with the car running, it will puff when the gas is tapped :(

HardcoreZ28
10-01-2004, 07:51 AM
Sounds like a good enough excuse to swap out the 305 to me. As far as what will and won't pass it's touch and go. I originally had a 305 TPI and now I'm running a 383 with Super Ram, 219 cam, AFR heads etc. There's a lot of debate on emissions, but I can tell you that any good engine will pass emissions if all the pollution devices are still on it. The goal of performance engines is to make power, and the best way to make the most power is by being as efficient as possible (in a street car). With efficiency comes clean emissions. So you can cam the hell out of a car and feed it tons of fuel and air and as long as it burns all that fuel while making power, you'll burn clean.