PDA

View Full Version : *sigh... so confusing

Trans Am Chick
11-08-2004, 03:02 PM
i had the day off of school so i figured id try to get car insurance quotes. for starters i cant seem to get anything b/c im still under 17 but that doesnt make sense since u cant possibly get quotes and decide which is best ND get insurance from that company all in one day.... can u!? i dunno. im so confused on all the stuff they ask about 2... can sum1 help me?

*feels stupid, but knows i need to get this done sum time*

:oops: Lexi

ar0ck
11-08-2004, 03:59 PM
Your better of calling the individual companies. Because most likely with your soon to be aquired provisional lisence, they will want to have your car listed under your parents car, because you are not a legal adult.

So, break open the phone book, and start calling and asking if you can get quotes.

Trans Am Chick
11-08-2004, 04:11 PM
yea unfortunatelly with the parental situation at the moment. that wont be happening. not onli do i refuse to be put under their insurance... they refuse to even consider it. but thats a whole nother story. theyre not helping me at all... including not helping explain most of this ***** to me. *were not on speaking terms at all* so basically im on my own for everything.

*Help Lexi

j0n
11-08-2004, 04:18 PM
in that case start saving 26 years ago to pay for the first couple years of insuranse on a t/a under your own insurance

V
11-08-2004, 06:04 PM
try nelson-patterson Insurance in new milford. they are underwriters for many companies, they are very nice there and will sit down and talk to you and explain it all. My friends mother is my agent there. i've had them for 5 years, since i was 19 and got that 88 iroc convertible(my ins. was $960 for a year liability only, w/ 2 points) and only the past 2 years did she realize i knew her son, lol. For a female, just starting out, it should be around that range for basic liability. i dont have the number off hand, but your best bet is to go in person and not call, calling is impersonal and you dont get the agent full attention, JMO. i'll find the address and let you know.

skorpion317
11-08-2004, 06:54 PM
in that case start saving 26 years ago to pay for the first couple years of insuranse on a t/a under your own insurance

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

insurance companies are thieves. they should be a strictly regulated industry with set prices. the rates some companies charge are exorbitant.

Trans Am Chick
11-08-2004, 07:37 PM
try nelson-patterson Insurance in new milford. they are underwriters for many companies, they are very nice there and will sit down and talk to you and explain it all. My friends mother is my agent there. i've had them for 5 years, since i was 19 and got that 88 iroc convertible(my ins. was $960 for a year liability only, w/ 2 points) and only the past 2 years did she realize i knew her son, lol. For a female, just starting out, it should be around that range for basic liability. i dont have the number off hand, but your best bet is to go in person and not call, calling is impersonal and you dont get the agent full attention, JMO. i'll find the address and let you know.

thanx that wud b a lot of help... but would i be able to go on my own? without my parents being there? like i said. the parental situation isnt great.

:cry: Lexi

enRo
11-08-2004, 07:45 PM
Just opened up my payment an hour ago. I have my own insurance. I got it when I was 18 sometime in Sept 2003 at First Trenton, and with just an 86' TA costs me 1900 and change a year (no points).

SpeakersGoBoom
11-08-2004, 09:15 PM
$960?!?!?! :shock:
$1900?!?!?! :shock:
CALL THE COPS! I'M BEING RAPED! ($2550 a year, no pts)

Trans Am Chick
11-08-2004, 09:18 PM

heh lol wow hun. i suggest u try to do sumthing about that...

:lol: Lexi

ar0ck
11-08-2004, 10:25 PM

Get in line, lube up and assume the position.

skorpion317
11-08-2004, 10:49 PM

Get in line, lube up and assume the position.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: OWNED!

BlueFBird
11-08-2004, 10:51 PM
call geico their the only good company in ****** NJ

skorpion317
11-08-2004, 10:53 PM
call geico their the only good company in ****** NJ

ask alex how much geico quoted him for the Z28.

ar0ck
11-08-2004, 10:58 PM
The car I almost had... :x A 1998 Z28 LS1 A4, $9,000 - $14,000 a year for insruance, 18yrs old 2 points.

I got the 95 and I only pay 3,800 a year. Because I have full coverage, and the cars under my moms name, and Im the primary driver.

On the 85' I payed $2,500 a year with a "305".

Trans Am Chick
11-08-2004, 11:07 PM
The car I almost had... :x A 1998 Z28 LS1 A4, $9,000 - $14,000 a year for insruance, 18yrs old 2 points.

I got the 95 and I only pay 3,800 a year. Because I have full coverage, and the cars under my moms name, and Im the primary driver.

On the 85' I payed $2,500 a year with a "305".

o yea thats another thing... the 350 def. isnt stock nd was never an option for the 85 was it? lol so how do i explain that to the lovely insurance agent? lol

84HOtransam
11-08-2004, 11:12 PM
as of today i pay 1320 a year for insurence...just liability...

after dec 19th im not sure if i will ever have insurence again...

im going to court for my 4 tickets/9 points... yes BY FAR that was the most expensive burnout ive ever done...

Trans Am Chick
11-08-2004, 11:52 PM

im going to court for my 4 tickets/9 points... yes BY FAR that was the most expensive burnout ive ever done...

^^^ LMAO

haha neway. how cud u not have insurence..? i thought u always had to have liability.. jersey sux like that.

:?: Lexi

V
11-09-2004, 01:08 AM
you should be able to get insurance under your own name, but i'm not positive, doesnt hurt to ask. I'm sure you arent the only person in that situation.

as far as the engine or any mods to the car, the insurnace company is to be left under the impression its stock, no need to explain a 350. My iroc had that 383 with a 5 speed, was insured as a 305 tbi auto, lol, i've had cars insured that i drove only 3 or 4 times and the insurance agent never even saw. Ive had up to 3 cars on my policy and i'm the only driver, the 2nd and 3rd cars were like 200 bucks each a year for basic coverage.

when i got my 01 ss in aug '01, my insurance was 4,500 a year full coverage, collision, fire, theft, etc. i almost dropped but what could i do, now 3 years have passed and i'm down to 2500 for full coverage. However, this coming december i will be paying off the SS and dropping coverage to basic liability (i dont believe in collision insurance, long story) and before my insurance renews, i will turn 25, so my SS will cost me like 400 or less for the year. :twisted:

Trans Am Chick
11-09-2004, 01:25 AM
well thats hot. i just dont understand why all this crap hasta be so confusign!! mayb its just me having another blonde at heart moment(s).

:huh: Lexi

Savage_Messiah
11-09-2004, 01:37 AM

How about 18 y/o, v6 camaro, 1 point?

Tru2Chevy
11-09-2004, 09:43 AM
o yea thats another thing... the 350 def. isnt stock nd was never an option for the 85 was it? lol so how do i explain that to the lovely insurance agent? lol

You don't.....as far as u know it's still sporting a 305 :D

- Justin

SpeakersGoBoom
11-09-2004, 10:04 AM

How about 18 y/o, v6 camaro, 1 point?.

How about an 18y/o with a 305 and no pts?!

Fozzi58
11-09-2004, 10:26 AM
Insurance sucks...but it sucks really bad in NJ.

Here's the skinny. You are going to get hosed on insurance your first year - girl or not. Just get liability on the car, if they ask engine size, tell them stock, 305. Since your not getting any collision or comprehensive, you are taking a total loss on your car if something BAD happens. Since its an older car, it should be cheaper. Figure around 1500 a year, but you need to call. I don't think you need to go to all these insurance companies in person. Besides, these are mostly brokerage firms...you're actually not walking into the State Farm office or Geico's HQ. Get online and google insurance quotes in NJ. I previously used the Bogle Agency in Lyndhurst. They deal with 2 or three insurance companies. You can use someone in your area. You're probably going to get stuck with some reinsurance co anyway cause you're a "high risk". As for prices, don't feel bad. My TA was an ADDITIONAL $2000 per year...I am paying $2400 for 2 cars already, own a home AND have no points...and I still got lubed and bent over!!!!

enRo
11-09-2004, 05:05 PM
Just opened up my payment an hour ago. I have my own insurance. I got it when I was 18 sometime in Sept 2003 at First Trenton, and with just an 86' TA costs me 1900 and change a year (no points).

Forgot to add... thats just for liability... my cars too old for collision :roll:

mikeitup28
11-09-2004, 07:39 PM
Well. T/A Chick this is what I would consider: Get your parents to get you whats called a "Spin Off Policy" this allows you to seperate yourself from your parents policy while being 17.

On a much more expensive note. Im gettin' owned.
Im 18 with 0 pts on my license and I pay $6700! LoL!
Thats what a 18 year old driving a 2001 Camaro SS gets... however its worth every penny when I wake up and see it in the garage.....

84HOtransam
11-09-2004, 07:40 PM

^^^ LMAO

haha neway. how cud u not have insurence..? i thought u always had to have liability.. jersey sux like that.

:?: Lexi

if i dont get down below 5 points ill be dropped from my parents insurence and i wont be able to afford my own policy...

Trans Am Chick
11-09-2004, 07:44 PM
Well. T/A Chick this is what I would consider: Get your parents to get you whats called a "Spin Off Policy" this allows you to seperate yourself from your parents policy while being 17.

On a much more expensive note. Im gettin' owned.
Im 18 with 0 pts on my license and I pay $6700! LoL!
Thats what a 18 year old driving a 2001 Camaro SS gets... however its worth every penny when I wake up and see it in the garage.....

well usually id say great idea. cept theres one problem... im not on my parents insurance. they have an uninsured drivers clause for sumthin like that where i can drive but im not actually on their policy. i cant exactly 'spin off' if i was never on.. :D

V
11-09-2004, 10:36 PM
84hotransam.. with that burnout you just mentioned.. was it on a public roadway or in a parking lot of some sort. if it wasnt on the road, as far as i know, you should not be able to recieve any points, just a fine, but if it was on the road then that wont help you, anyway, check into that.

insurance can be a pain in the ass but what can we do, until NJ regulates the business, we have to take it, or we can move away, lol

ar0ck
11-09-2004, 11:32 PM
I blame it on Greedy McGreavy & that other lady. Their the ones that Ok'd the system were on currently. The way it is is that the State sets a sertain guide-line for all the companies to abide by, but the companies are allowed to go to town on the rest, as long as they abide by the standard.

Its really a big scam.

84HOtransam
11-10-2004, 02:00 AM
84hotransam.. with that burnout you just mentioned.. was it on a public roadway or in a parking lot of some sort. if it wasnt on the road, as far as i know, you should not be able to recieve any points, just a fine, but if it was on the road then that wont help you, anyway, check into that.

insurance can be a pain in the ass but what can we do, until NJ regulates the business, we have to take it, or we can move away, lol

unfortunatly i was just out of luck that night.. it was on a public road and the cop was on a side street watching...i also got the absolute worst cop in town...he followed me after i left...(i didnt see him at first)...he wrote me tickets for not stopping at a stop sign and not using my blinker to turn...he followed me with no lights on for a few blocks...then just threw on his roof lights...no headlights (it was at night)...i was pulled over for about 3 hours...he gave me a seat belt, no blinker, faliure to stop at a stop sign, and wreckless for the burnout... my friend works for the police station and he said the cop wont budge...i also got a lawyer to talk to his superior and it didnt work..i also gave the cop a PBA card from my cousin (passaic county sherif) and even that didnt help....

the cop swears i was trying to run and is mad that he didnt use his lights to follow me... so he wont let anything drop....he doesnt realize if he put his lights on i would have just stopped..i had no idea he was there..

Trans Am Chick
11-10-2004, 11:44 AM
if i dont get down below 5 points ill be dropped from my parents insurence and i wont be able to afford my own policy...

So then basically u cant drive... wow... that realllllli sux. i hate all this crap. y cant life b simple. ppl r greedy.

:evil: Lexi

Trans Am Chick
11-10-2004, 11:46 AM

Moving sounds good. for more then just the insurence reason! ne ideas where insurance isnt as outragous as jersey!? lol j/k j/k

Jersey Sux! Lexi

Untamed
11-10-2004, 12:01 PM
Simple liability, in a state where nearly a quarter of the drivers on the road aren't insured, won't help you. While a cost-cutting option of simple liability so you can drive a sports car seems like a good idea, all the woulda, shoulda, coulda's after your first accident won't help you. God help you if that involves an injury (yours or the other driver). While your personal health insurance (if you have any) may help pay for some of the hospital bill, it wont help the other person who will sue you for everything you and your parents are worth.

Do yourself a favor - park that beautiful blue Trans Am for a few years and enjoy the bus, bicycle, or some clunker for a bit until you have a steady job and can pay for your car. That will be REALLY tough to do, however it truly is the right thing to do. While you may not have an accident anytime soon, that one incident that screws the rest of your life, will make you wish you had held off for a bit.

Wisdom is defined as the ability to learn from your experiences and others, and apply those lessons to your own life. I'm not the wisest person in the world, however I can truly say I've been there, and done that.

- Dave

Trans Am Chick
11-10-2004, 12:05 PM
Simple liability, in a state where nearly a quarter of the drivers on the road aren't insured, won't help you. While a cost-cutting option of simple liability so you can drive a sports car seems like a good idea, all the woulda, shoulda, coulda's after your first accident won't help you. God help you if that involves an injury (yours or the other driver). While your personal health insurance (if you have any) may help pay for some of the hospital bill, it wont help the other person who will sue you for everything you and your parents are worth.

Do yourself a favor - park that beautiful blue Trans Am for a few years and enjoy the bus, bicycle, or some clunker for a bit until you have a steady job and can pay for your car. That will be REALLY tough to do, however it truly is the right thing to do. While you may not have an accident anytime soon, that one incident that screws the rest of your life, will make you wish you had held off for a bit.

Wisdom is defined as the ability to learn from your experiences and others, and apply those lessons to your own life. I'm not the wisest person in the world, however I can truly say I've been there, and done that.

- Dave

I wish i could do that but my mom just got a new job nd she'll be traveling every 2 weeks. with one less driver in the house. they need me to drive. to take care of myself nd my lil brother. they shud help but they wont...

Fozzi58
11-10-2004, 02:21 PM
84hotransam - if The cop didn't have his lights on when he was following you or, ESPECIALLY when he was watching you, - that's entrapment. My sister's a cop...I asked her. If your lawyer has half a brain, he'll get you off of some of the fines, or have them dropped to no point violations - better to pay $1000 in fines than get points and have $400 or more PER YEAR on the insurance. I'm 31 and my teenage driving points/accidents are still hanging around, giving me a bad rep with every insurance co I talk to. That **** never goes away.

As for the cop being a dick, there's nothing you can do. Some cops have hard-ons for busting people and they wouldn't change their mind even if Christ came off the cross and begged them.

My sister said the cop is being a dick - the average cop will work with someone, especially a kid, cause they know insurance in NJ sucks big ass. The tickets are mostly to teach lessons and instill fear so you wont be stupid again. But for the mostart the police are willing to drop the charges to something lesser. Then again, if you were doing donuts in the middle of Rt 17, thats another story. But a dead street at night, no one could have been harmed but yourself? probably nbot a big deal and the cop could be somewhat forgiving. Good luck, I feel your pain.

j0n
11-10-2004, 06:22 PM
that one incident that screws the rest of your life, will make you wish you had held off for a bit.

- Dave

sniff...3 grand + 1/2 year of insurance down the drain...along with my parents trust...why didnt u make that quote in april??? :(

GrandmasterCow
11-10-2004, 06:41 PM

sweet jesus, i got a problem too: $3800/yr with basic, no pts, one accident over two years ago =\

84HOtransam
11-10-2004, 08:17 PM
84hotransam - if The cop didn't have his lights on when he was following you or, ESPECIALLY when he was watching you, - that's entrapment. My sister's a cop...I asked her. If your lawyer has half a brain, he'll get you off of some of the fines, or have them dropped to no point violations - better to pay $1000 in fines than get points and have $400 or more PER YEAR on the insurance. I'm 31 and my teenage driving points/accidents are still hanging around, giving me a bad rep with every insurance co I talk to. That **** never goes away.

As for the cop being a dick, there's nothing you can do. Some cops have hard-ons for busting people and they wouldn't change their mind even if Christ came off the cross and begged them.

My sister said the cop is being a dick - the average cop will work with someone, especially a kid, cause they know insurance in NJ sucks big ass. The tickets are mostly to teach lessons and instill fear so you wont be stupid again. But for the mostart the police are willing to drop the charges to something lesser. Then again, if you were doing donuts in the middle of Rt 17, thats another story. But a dead street at night, no one could have been harmed but yourself? probably nbot a big deal and the cop could be somewhat forgiving. Good luck, I feel your pain.

it was on an empty road in my town around 10-10:30....on one side of the road is a quick check/strip mall thing and on the other side is woods and a quarry...my friends were in the quick check hanging out and i was showing off before went home for the night...the first thing i did was apoloigize for being a stupid teenager and showing off for my friends...that was the first ticket ive ever gotten..and it was over a year after me first getting my license...

my lawyer said it would be hard for me to get the court to believe me that the cop didnt use his lights...i said i can pull 5 of my friends who were there and saw the cop come flying out of the side street with no lights on...

when i first spoke to the lawyer he told me 2 points and high fines...i said id rather buy my way out of the ticket..so at least i can drive again..

when we went to court the first time the proscuter called the cop and he said the best they will do is 5 points and fines..

oh and the burnout was maybe 5-7 seconds long...simple power brake then ripped into 2nd gear...top speed maybe 35...