PDA

View Full Version : I got hit today...

bluebird94
11-24-2004, 11:58 AM
So yeah I was on my way to school, pulling up to a red light, and this guy in a white caravan cuts me off and hits me. No major damage done--just blemishes. However the guy in the caravan ran away, so I filed a police report for a hit and run. I have a witness and license plate number, so he's screwed. What should I do now? j0n said get an over estimated estimate so this way I can get a posi and gears...any other suggestions? lol :twisted:

BlueFBird
11-24-2004, 12:43 PM
that sucks bro,get that bastard

Jersey_TA
11-24-2004, 12:55 PM
So yeah I was on my way to school, pulling up to a red light, and this guy in a white caravan cuts me off and hits me. Â*No major damage done--just blemishes. Â*However the guy in the caravan ran away, so I filed a police report for a hit and run. Â*I have a witness and license plate number, so he's screwed. Â*What should I do now? Â*j0n said get an over estimated estimate so this way I can get a posi and gears...any other suggestions? lol :twisted:

Do it. That sucks man. I hope everything gets fixed soon.

bluebird94
11-24-2004, 02:22 PM
its just like a scratch--but i have to find the bastard...cause well.....im greedy lol

NJSPEEDER
11-24-2004, 02:50 PM
jsut a scratch? hmmm, taht clearly needs to be taken down to a bare panel, smoothed, then pianted again. i can see it from here. easily a $1K + job :)

later
tim

j0n
11-24-2004, 03:06 PM
:stupid:

bluebird94
11-24-2004, 03:20 PM
jsut a scratch? hmmm, taht clearly needs to be taken down to a bare panel, smoothed, then pianted again. i can see it from here. easily a $1K + job :)

later
tim

yeah well now i just have to find the guy on monday lol and my car wont be so slow anymore lol :twisted:

j0n
11-24-2004, 03:24 PM
wut'd u say tim? 4.88s? wha?:lol:

NJSPEEDER
11-24-2004, 05:25 PM
wut'd u say tim? 4.88s?

:stupid: :cheers:

later
tim

Gloveperson
11-25-2004, 08:57 PM
Fiberglass does crack and buckle under the surface paint so it may need replacing.

I wouldn't try an over-estimated claim, especially after I posted about it on the internet. NJ is being really serious about insurance fraud these days and what you are doing could be classified.

Good luck with the guy. Hit and Run= NONO. 5 points I believe.

bluebird94
11-25-2004, 10:19 PM

its only 2 points--but it would be 8 if i was hurt lol...ill find him monday though

j0n
11-26-2004, 01:29 PM
i could sworn u said ur neck was hurtin... :lol:

bluebird94
11-26-2004, 03:08 PM
i could sworn u said ur neck was hurtin... :lol:

well i did hurt my back at basketball today hah

NJSPEEDER
11-26-2004, 03:28 PM

its only 2 points--but it would be 8 if i was hurt lol...ill find him monday though

that is if the hit and run is the only thing they charge him with. usually they will compound other charges in to amke it mroe fun for the dumb ass. a reckless/careless is an easy add on, not to mention the failure to yield and possible speeding if a single witness says it looked liek he was going too fast.
basically, you and the cops could make his world suck massively. a single hit and run can turn into enough points to risk the license of a driver with no previous accidents.

later
tim

bluebird94
11-26-2004, 06:15 PM

that is if the hit and run is the only thing they charge him with. usually they will compound other charges in to amke it mroe fun for the dumb ass. a reckless/careless is an easy add on, not to mention the failure to yield and possible speeding if a single witness says it looked liek he was going too fast.
basically, you and the cops could make his world suck massively. a single hit and run can turn into enough points to risk the license of a driver with no previous accidents.

later
tim

didnt even think about that, reckless is 5 pts according to the driver's manual so he should easily get 7 --maybe another 2 for failure to give way to a passing vehicle. I already know hes screwed, I just have to find them lol

bluebird94
11-27-2004, 01:17 PM
just realized that my headlight motor is broken--woooo more money once i catch the fool

JPiZZiJP
11-28-2004, 12:45 AM
When you say "filed a police report", do you mean you filed charges against him? Because it would basically be a citizen's complaint. I speak from experience because I've taken someone to court in the past for careless driving (she backed into my car, and really pissed me off about the whole situation... the complaint was necessary). Speeding would probably not be a possibility, even if the witness claims the guy was going what "appeared" to be fast; no solid proof for that one. With a witness though, you could probably nab the guy for careless too, if the witness' story holds up to it.

Ultimately, let's hope the witness does want to help, because if you do end up nabbing the guy, it may become a long drawn out court process if the guy wants to fight you on it (and getting witnesses into court can be a pain in the ass). If you go to court and the witness does not show, the guy that hit you could claim that there isn't enough evidence to establish what's called a "prima facie" case ("prima facie" means "at first sight" in latin I believe). Basically what that means, is without a witness, you may not have enough proof that what you got (plate #, car type, etc) is really the person you're trying to nab. (A good example... I got a parking ticket squashed in NYC, because I drive a convertible, yet covertible is not an option to select on the ticket. The cop checked off "Sedan". I got out of the parking ticket, because the cop would not have enough evidence to establish a "prima facie" case; it is possible/reasonable doubt that he could have mistakenly taken down my plate # but actually saw a sedan or something parked in the spot.

Hope this makes some sense... I've gone to court over a hit-and-run driver myself before in the past (the guy was also drunk that hit me). I don't how you're going about getting the guy's info, or if the police gave it to you or whatnot, but I know people that could run the plate for you if you'd like. If you want to discuss more of your options for legally nabbing this guy, just let me know.

~Joe

bluebird94
11-28-2004, 10:46 AM
hopefully ill see his car on monday and ill take pictures of the marks and license plate with my phone or something, so theres definately proof--as for the police report, i just reported the hit and run as of now, i still have to find the guy so we'll see what happens but if i do find him ill try to contact you so i know how to go about screwing him royally lol

j0n
11-28-2004, 03:56 PM
hey mark just so you know if you wanna meet up with joe(jpizzi) to discuss some possible plans of action he lives approximately 5 mintues from u:wink:

bluebird94
11-28-2004, 04:16 PM
yeah i know where middlesex is you ass

bluebird94
11-28-2004, 04:18 PM
Ultimately, let's hope the witness does want to help, because if you do end up nabbing the guy, it may become a long drawn out court process if the guy wants to fight you on it (and getting witnesses into court can be a pain in the ass).

~Joe

well the witness actually came up to me in my school parking lot to give me all of her information and stuff so she would definately go to court...the guy also cut her off lol so yeah he'll get a wrekless hah

JPiZZiJP
11-28-2004, 07:52 PM
Well,

Witnesses don't know what they get themselves into... there are a number of court appearances they'll have to show up for. The first hearing, which they need to show up for just for a few minutes, then the hearing, then possibly trial, etc. etc. etc...

As much as I like helping people, I would not want to be a witness if not necessary... it is a pain in the ass, and it wastes your time. (It's not like you benefit from it, other than being a good samaritan you know?)

~Joe

bluebird94
11-29-2004, 04:02 PM
yeah i know, but shes nice and i dont think she would mind if i sued him lol, cause yeah he almost hit him--as a gesture of appreciation i would give her something for her time...first i have to find the guy lol

NJSPEEDER
11-29-2004, 04:32 PM
Well,

Witnesses don't know what they get themselves into... there are a number of court appearances they'll have to show up for. The first hearing, which they need to show up for just for a few minutes, then the hearing, then possibly trial, etc. etc. etc...

As much as I like helping people, I would not want to be a witness if not necessary... it is a pain in the ass, and it wastes your time. (It's not like you benefit from it, other than being a good samaritan you know?)

~Joe

if both sides are willing to agree to it you can have a taped witness statement and interview. it is a little system a lot of courts are using now to help take up less of a witnesses time.
basically they get examined and cross examed under oath in front of a judge jsut like normal, but it is all taped. it can then be shown to a jury or another judge if need be.
only problem is that most defense attornies would prefer it to be as difficult for a witness as possible.

later
tim

bluebird94
11-29-2004, 05:19 PM
thats a pretty good idea tim--ill keep that in mind

bluebird94
12-03-2004, 02:11 PM
MUAHAHAHAHAHA I FOUND THE GUY-----i was taking my girlfriend home from starbucks and he pulled out in front of me on the way home, and the plate looked similar to what i wrote down--i was off by one digit...i thought it was an 8 but it was G....but yeah then he went into the church parking lot and i followed him and wrote down the plate and now i need to get an estimate on the repair for my car, and woooooo sue his pants off lol

bluebird94
12-08-2004, 01:29 PM
so i got the estimate for the repairs, and its roughly $1200, so yeah ill have a lot of money to play with lol

jims69camaro
12-10-2004, 04:30 PM
i'm not sure about the judges in your area, but i was required to get three estimates for the case i had against someone who hit me several years ago. they were all in the same ball park. the judge averaged them out and that's what he ordered butthead's insurance company to pay me for the damage he did.

you might want to go ahead and get at least one more estimate, just so it doesn't look like you might have gone to more than one but brought the highest estimate with you. most judges i know like options (as in being able to choose a figure from what you present rather than having to guesstimate himself).

CrAsH
01-05-2005, 01:57 PM
my moms works for the NJ inspection stations u give me the plate numeber i could most likley get her to turn in the plate numebr and he'll also get fined for not turning in his plates when he was supose to :evil:

bluebird94
01-05-2005, 02:06 PM
i already got the right plate number and reported it to the police--the report is fixed now, i just have to pick up another copy..ill probably do that tomorrow

Savage_Messiah
01-05-2005, 09:43 PM
yeah i know, but shes nice and i dont think she would mind if i sued him lol, cause yeah he almost hit him--as a gesture of appreciation i would give her something for her time...first i have to find the guy lol

she cute? :wink: :twisted:

bluebird94
01-05-2005, 11:03 PM

she cute? :wink: :twisted:

dude shes a mother--shes like 45ish and has a few kids and is black so im going to go with no, she isnt cute lol

j0n
01-06-2005, 05:17 PM

she cute? Â*:wink: Â*:twisted:

dude shes a mother--shes like 45ish and has a few kids and is black so im going to go with no, she isnt cute lol

bwahahaha

CrAsH
01-06-2005, 09:57 PM

she cute? Â*:wink: Â*:twisted:

bwahahaha
lol

bluebird94
01-06-2005, 11:11 PM
wait, who the hell is crash? lol

i see piscataway so my only guess would be mike, cause i dont know anyone else in piscataway that has an f-body

CrAsH
01-07-2005, 06:58 AM
My name is frank i dont presently have 1 but im workin on gettin 1 jon told me to sign up here

bluebird94
01-07-2005, 02:36 PM
yeaah he told me that your in his health class or something...frank what--the only frank that i know that is a senior is frank hubbard and he drives a pick up

CrAsH
01-07-2005, 04:16 PM
yeaah he told me that your in his health class or something...frank what--the only frank that i know that is a senior is frank hubbard and he drives a pick up
yup thats me...my dads pick up:( only can use for skool and work