PDA

View Full Version : i need major car help

mike95z28
11-26-2004, 03:08 PM
hey anyone from the north jersey area wanna give me a hand? i cant seem to get my car started but i cant figure out exactly what it is and i dont have any tools to look at it or anything...i know it has gas (duh!) and its not the starter,,,my dad and i looked at it and he thinks its something electrical but i cant tell so any help would be awesome ...i was hoping to have my car going for the meet but i dont think thats gonna happen...if anything ill bring my dads car there

skorpion317
11-26-2004, 03:20 PM
did you try jump starting it?

mike95z28
11-26-2004, 03:49 PM
yea that didnt work..the battery is fine...i have power to everything it just wont start...it could be the fuel pump also but i dont know

91 Z28 350
11-26-2004, 04:01 PM
Does it try to turn over or it just does nothing ? Might be the altanator when mine went my lights still turned on but the battery didn't have enough power to start the car.

mike95z28
11-26-2004, 04:03 PM
i dont think its the alternator...thats y i gotta find someone whos close to me and wouldnt mind stopping by to give it a look...i cant seem to figure it out...dont have any tools to do it

ar0ck
11-26-2004, 04:04 PM
If it clicks and does nothing its your altenator.

9secfirebird
11-26-2004, 04:11 PM
where in north jersey are you?

IM me and i might be able to help

mike

mike95z28
11-26-2004, 04:23 PM
im in hasbrouck heights....and its not the alternator it cranks fine...could be that theres no power getting to the distributor...but im not good with electrical stuff

91 Z28 350
11-26-2004, 04:26 PM
Did you check if your getting spark ?

The Fixer
11-26-2004, 05:38 PM
Leave the car alone for a little while, then have someone turn the key to "On" while you stand behind the car - don't crank the motor, just key "On". You need to listen and hear if the fuel pump is turning on when they hit the key. If you don't hear the pump, either the relay is bad, or the fuel pump is bad.

V
11-26-2004, 06:09 PM
if i wasn't so swamped with work and projects of my own i'd say i'd give you a hand, but ill try to help from here...

ok, first off, i'm getting confused with all the posts exactly to as whats wrong. basic things to check in order are as follows:

car off...check battery voltage... should be around 12.

let car sit, then turn on ignition(dont try to crank) and have someone listen by gas tank to hear pump prime...itll come on for the first few seconds.

you can also check fuel pressure(well, if it has any) by finding the schrader valve on the fuel rail, try starting the car, first, then stop and press the valve, fuel will spray out a little if theres fuel pressure.

you can also check if it has spark, be very careful doing this, take off one plug wire and lay it by a grounded piece of metal, watch out for gas and electrical wires, have someone try to crank the car, if it shoots a spark then thats fine.

most likely i'm thinking you have problems with your optispark distributor, but since i'm not there to check, it may be just a loose wire. try those things and post back, ill think tonight of other stuff, its been a while since i worked on my 93 T/a or the 96 LT1 in my 79 vette. good luck.

89 Trans Am WS6
11-26-2004, 06:10 PM
Ok gotta step in here..

If the car cranks but doesnt start, and it goes click click click click its more then likely the battery.

Nothing about starting your car has to do with the altenator.

Now if what you guys are trying to say is that his altenator stopped charging, and then he drained the battery, parked the car and now it doesnt have it in it to turn over, then id accept that as an answer, but generally speaking a altenator doesnt start the car. the altenator feeds the battery, not vise versa.

What exactly does it do? Does it go clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick click or does it crank normal but just not start? Does it not crank at all? Need more details. How did you check the battery?

joe

mike95z28
11-26-2004, 07:37 PM
it cranks but just doesnt start...the battery and alternator and all that stuff is fine...my dad also thinks its the fuel pump cause he said that he doesnt think he hears it..so if thats the case i need help putting in the new one and i also wanna do new plugs and wires anyways so any help wit that woudl be awesome also

V
11-26-2004, 07:43 PM
the fuel tank is a bitch to get out, but not impossible, but its a time consuming job

The Fixer
11-26-2004, 10:09 PM
Find out where the fuel pump relay is first. It's cheap enough to replace, and may be the actual problem. How many miles are on your car?

89 Trans Am WS6
11-26-2004, 10:24 PM
I agree, did you notice any problems with the car running prior to it not doing anything? If not, do like mentioned above and get a new relay..even though i doubt it..its cheap enough that if its the rael prob itw ill save ya alot of time/money.

besides dropping a tank without a lift is a PITA

Trans Am Chick
11-28-2004, 03:31 PM
any new improvements? or are you still rockin the impala?

mike95z28
11-28-2004, 05:09 PM
still rockin the impala but my car is at the mechanics now cause id never get a chance to get it done

Trans Am Chick
11-28-2004, 05:26 PM
ehh i gues that works... when are you planning on getting it back?

Trans Am Chick
11-30-2004, 07:57 AM
did you get your car back yet...?