PDA

View Full Version : Another new guy

Ant'sWS6
11-28-2004, 05:30 PM
Hiya all! I heard about NJFBOA from a post in the New Jersey Section of the Project Trans Am website forums and decided to come on over and take a look.

I presently live in Manasquan, NJ. I have an '02 NMB Trans Am WS6 that is presently stock for the most part but as addicting as I have found this stuff to be, I get the feeling it won't stay that way for too long. :twisted:

I unfortunitly do not know much about the mechanics of the car but that's why I'm on sites like this one, Proj. T/A and LS1Tech and hoping to meet and hang out with you guys who do. I want to know the car inside and out so any tips, advice, etc. you anyone has, let'em rip 'cause I'm looking to learn.

Thanks,

Ant

90FormulaWS6
11-28-2004, 05:36 PM
ok first off welcome

second you have to completely disassemble your car to understand it inside and out... id start now :lol:

Ant'sWS6
11-28-2004, 05:42 PM
ok first off welcome

second you have to completely disassemble your car to understand it inside and out... id start now :lol:

LOL, thanks. Ok, I'm going outside now start taking it apart, but damn I hope I don't lose any parts, it's gotten kind of dark out there. :D

j0n
11-28-2004, 06:51 PM
welcome to the club! lets start now... intake, compression, power, exhaust :wink:

NJSPEEDER
11-28-2004, 07:18 PM
welcome to the club.
step 1: GEARS!!!! you NEED 4.10's. they will change teh way you look at the world. :D
step 2: exhaust. ls1's loves to breath, get some long tubes and a nice cat back.

later
tim

j0n
11-28-2004, 07:21 PM
welcome to the club.
step 1: GEARS!!!! you NEED 4.10's. they will change teh way you look at the world. :D
step 2: exhaust. ls1's loves to breath, get some long tubes and a nice cat back.

later
tim

:shock: tim didnt say rip everything out of the car that doesnt have to do with making the car go fast in a straight line!!!!

bluebird94
11-28-2004, 07:34 PM
welcome to the club.

later
tim

:shock: tim didnt say rip everything out of the car that doesnt have to do with making the car go fast in a straight line!!!!

haha shocking!

foff667
11-28-2004, 08:17 PM
welcome to the board and if you need any tuning done look me up :)

Ian
11-28-2004, 09:04 PM
Welcome to the club Ant! :)

welcome to the club! lets start now... intake, compression, power, exhaust :wink:

also know as suck, squeeze, bang, blow :lol:

Tru2Chevy
11-28-2004, 09:13 PM

:rofl:

Welcome to the club!

- Justin

BlueFBird
11-28-2004, 09:51 PM
welcome:D

Ant'sWS6
11-28-2004, 10:08 PM
Welcome to the club Ant! :)

Ah....squeeze, bang and blow, reminds me of college :D .

I'm thinkin' exhaust first, but everything from headers back, total system, not just new muffler or tips, everything!!. Good winter project while she's sittin' in the garage staying warm.

I'm thinkin' Kooks Long Tube and Corsa Exhaust system with Premium Tips (I saw a T/A with the same Corsa Exhaust at the 2004 SLP Day @ E-Town and thought they looked and sounded really good - sounded mean but not obnoxious and since I may end up driving it everyday if my Olds dies, I don't want anything too loud during normal daily driving). As for the Cats and "Y" Pipe, not sure yet. May put an electric cut-off in too, just for those occasions when I feel like be obnoxious :twisted: , but I'm not sure yet

Any thoughts, suggestion, etc. are more then welcome.

foff667, Thanks, will do!

Thanks for the welcomes!

- Ant

Ant'sWS6
11-28-2004, 10:18 PM
Quick question. Gears! How does that work, am I replacing the entire rear-end to do that? or can the gears be replaced without replacing the entire rear-end? I planned on doing this anyway (new rear-end), though I haven't learned the differences in the gears yet. I just keep reading that the 4.10's are the way to go, but I want to find out why for my own knowledge. My thinking is if I can change or add something to make the car stronger and last longer (the reasons I bought the strut-tower brace and SFC's) then I will definitely do it.

Well the can of worms is opened, the stupid questions have started. Usually I'll research it first, see if the answers are in the forums (or on the net somewhere) before asking and then just ask more specific questions, but I figured since it was brought up, I'd ask.

Thanks again.

NJSPEEDER
11-28-2004, 10:21 PM
with yrou stock carrier you can just replace the gears and everythign will be good. there are a few things you can do to make the rear stronger whiel you are at it though. i woudl suggest a trip over to www.thirdgen.org
read through the tech articles. there are 1 or 2 about building a stronger 10bolt. it is mostly simple stuff like a better cover and using studs instead of bolts.

later
tim

j0n
11-28-2004, 10:26 PM
if you want a nice rumble w/o bein obnoxious i would look into the magnaflow cat-back...pat(silvert/a) has it on his and its exactly that; sounds good w/o bein LOUD...also it can be had MUCH cheaper than a 100k mile used corsa on a good day, and its stainless so theres no rotting worries

as for headers/y-pipe i have no idea tho i would look into whatever headers/y-pipe foff had on his 98, that was a damn good setup

DEFINATELY get yourself an aftermarket airlid; the stock air baffles should be burned or something similar...these are a very inexpensive way to make good horsepower...also look into the fast toys ram air kit for ls1 cars...compounds with an airlid to make even more hp

if you have a 6-speed car then 4.10s are doable but you seem to be someone who would be ok with 3.73s...if your stock gears are 3.23 or 3.42 then you'll be fine for the time being regardless of what tim says

in the way of suspension a good torque arm, lower connecting arms, and panhard bar will do a great job gettin power to the ground...i would look into gettin a set of drag radials mounted on some crap wheels for when u wanna have some fun

also make sure to check out http://installuniversity.com under LSx...tons of do-it-yourself LS1 mods and basic maintenance procedures, read through a couple of articles and you'll know plenty about what you have and what you can do with it

and last but definately not least GET A DECENT TUNE especially if you modify the car at all it will definately benefit from a custom tune...and bill(foff) is very inexpensive and usually a cool guy to deal with(and its fun to make fun of his pokemon tailights! :lol: )

good luck dude and enjoy the car...oh and GET UP SOME PICS!!!!

foff667
11-28-2004, 10:29 PM
i had pacesetters & their ory & a borla on my car...pretty loud on a stock setup but just downright nasty once the heads/cam was on...check out www.ls1howto.com if you already havent.

MonmouthCtyAntz
12-05-2004, 02:47 PM
Hey know your area pretty well..where bouts in squan...be happy to help in any install

Gloveperson
12-06-2004, 11:12 PM
I've got a Magnaflow on my car..best bang for the buck you can get!

LS1tech is amazing BTW :D

I am also Gloveperson over there, you usually can find me in the lounge area.

JerzLT1
12-07-2004, 01:14 AM
hey Foff667 how much to tune my L98 after i find out my cam specs?

Tru2Chevy
12-07-2004, 09:40 AM
hey Foff667 how much to tune my L98 after i find out my cam specs?

Foff only does OBD2 tuning with HPTuners, but there are a few other guys here that can help you out (Fasterthanyou is the first one to come to mind.....)

- Justin

Ant'sWS6
12-08-2004, 10:22 PM
Hey know your area pretty well..where bouts in squan...be happy to help in any install

I'm on Atlantic Ave across from the High School Football/baseball fields. Â*You hang out much in Squan? Â*Thanks for the offer, definitely will let you know when i'm gettin ready to do it.

Hey Glove, what's up, Â*samething with me , same name on LS1tech. Â*pm'd you a couple of times over there.

MonmouthCtyAntz
01-27-2005, 11:02 AM
I'm on Atlantic Ave across from the High School Football/baseball fields. You hang out much in Squan? Yea know exactly where you are...a few feet down from my favorite italian restaurant...Squan tavern :cheers: ...dont hang out much there but last spring summer after getting out of the army I did exterminating for allison pest control and alot of our accounts were in squan...grew up in Ocean Twp...so except for the army lived here all my life.

Ant'sWS6
02-01-2005, 11:35 PM
I'm on Atlantic Ave across from the High School Football/baseball fields. Â*You hang out much in Squan? Â* Yea know exactly where you are...a few feet down from my favorite italian restaurant...Squan tavern :cheers: ...dont hang out much there but last spring summer after getting out of the army I did exterminating for allison pest control and alot of our accounts were in squan...grew up in Ocean Twp...so except for the army lived here all my life.

Ah..Squan Tavern, I've gotten quite a few good buzzes going waiting for my take our food. Good stuff. If you're headin' over there anytime, let me know.