PDA

View Full Version : rear end trouble help please!!!

lt14mla
12-01-2004, 01:59 PM
ok i took my car into my local trans shop to see whats going on with the rear. I have already blown the transmission and the mount on the new one it self so i now have a poly mount. anyway my rear end has been making some noises for a while now. they are telling me this

the clutches are gone, the crosspin is spinning around in the housing, the side gears are pitting. He says the ebarings will need to be replaced. The whole carrier/posi are shot and need to be replaced.the ring and pinion obvisoly as well when they took the cover off the fluid came out all metallicy?? . he is saying this is a basic overhaul short of axles.

Now im currently strapped for money in a big way. They are quoting me $1800 for labor and parts!!! does this sound steep or what? what should i do here guys am i being taken for a ride. I know a complete posi unit only sells for 3-400 on jegs or so. He then goes on to say well then theres labor and i said well i can't take that long to set the backlash and do all the stuff. He said i would also need to gets pins, install kits the cluthces and bearings. Please help me.

HardcoreZ28
12-01-2004, 02:06 PM
You can probably buy a Moser or Currie unit for that much! I'm sure someone on here can rebuild it for you for a lot cheaper. Parts should only run you about $800 I believe.....maybe more if you need a new posi.

Tru2Chevy
12-01-2004, 02:31 PM
Yea, you're getting ripped off. A brand new Moser 12-bolt with your choice of gears, and a high quality posi carrier is only about $2,000.

I doubt that you actually need new gears. You will prolly need a new carrier (between $400 and $500 for high quality) and a full install kit that comes with bearings and seals. There are people on this board who will hook you up with an install for much cheaper than any shop.

- Justin

NJSPEEDER
12-01-2004, 03:33 PM
hell, you can get a complete used 4th gen rear for around $300 most times with 3.42 gears.
that is definately a rip. i would take it to another shop and see what they say. aslo, what year is your car?
if it is 94 or later the stock carrier should be a torson. there are no clutches in them to wear i think. i thought they were "cone" type posi's. 93 and 98 are teh only 4th gen years that got clutch type units, and then they were provided by auburn so it would be rebuildable.

later
tim

ar0ck
12-01-2004, 04:06 PM
Buy a new rear-end their raping you on labor probably.

Ian
12-01-2004, 06:34 PM
Time to test out a new Strange engineering S-60 rear :drool: :headbang:

9secfirebird
12-01-2004, 10:08 PM
i can help you if you want.

my AIM is either dragracer6900 or blacktoprecs

Little G
12-01-2004, 10:15 PM
I have an Auburn posi to sell. Â*PM me if interested. Â*Also I have 3.23s that I'm not using if you want them, but I don't know what you had stock. Â*I paid less than 300 to get my rear end built.

V
12-02-2004, 12:51 AM
just buy a complete rear and swap it in, its easy, i did that on my 01 SS. I shattered the carrier then the new one failed, poor workmanship at a local dealer, so i was **** out of luck, i found a rear on ebay from an fbody salvage place for around 350 plus 150 shipping. It was from a '02 WS6 T/A, 3:42s abs ASR, and it was complete with calipers, rotor, abs sensors, sway bar w/end links, LCAs, shocks, and springs, only 6k miles on it as well... IMO thats the way to go if you're short on cash, and you can sell the extra parts to make back some of your money

AliWantsNss
12-04-2004, 08:57 AM
I just ordered a moser 12 bolt. They cost about 2300-2500 depending on where you go.