PDA

View Full Version : Help me!!!!! rear end trouble

lt14mla
12-01-2004, 02:32 PM
ok i took my car into my local trans shop to see whats going on with the rear. I have already blown the transmission and the mount on the new one it self so i now have a poly mount. anyway my rear end has been making some noises for a while now. they are telling me this

the clutches are gone, the crosspin is spinning around in the housing, the side gears are pitting. He says the ebarings will need to be replaced. The whole carrier/posi are shot and need to be replaced.the ring and pinion obvisoly as well when they took the cover off the fluid came out all metallicy?? . he is saying this is a basic overhaul short of axles.

Now im currently strapped for money in a big way. They are quoting me $1800 for labor and parts!!! does this sound steep or what? what should i do here guys am i being taken for a ride. I know a complete posi unit only sells for 3-400 on jegs or so. He then goes on to say well then theres labor and i said well i can't take that long to set the backlash and do all the stuff. He said i would also need to gets pins, install kits the cluthces and bearings. Please help me.

Tru2Chevy
12-01-2004, 02:42 PM
Please don't repost in multiple forums......

- Justin