PDA

View Full Version : Gauges

JerzLT1
12-06-2004, 01:11 AM
I have an 86 Firebird with an L98. the only gauges it has is the gas gauge and the speedo. i wanted to put in a Tach, oil pressure gauge and a Temp gauge since it only has lights if anything goes wrong. id rather be able to keep a close eye on it. anyone know how difficult this would be? im not looking for a BIG tach with a hallogen the size of a street light either :shock: just lookin for somethin sleek to i know how my car is running. IM me on Smartass15864 if youve ever done somethin like this before or just post. Thanx :D

Josh

Tru2Chevy
12-06-2004, 09:55 AM
I have a guage cluster from an '89 formula that I could sell you for a pretty good price. I know it has a 120mph speedo, tach, and gas guage - I'll have to look again to see what other guages it has. The only problem is that it is designed for an electric sending unit for the speedo, and yours should have a cable sending unit.

I may have an extra electric sending unot from a 700R4 if you are interested though.....Send me a PM and we'll discuss it.

- Justin

JerzLT1
12-06-2004, 01:19 PM
the engine is from an 88 GTA if that helps with the install at all. Never done anything like this before so any info will help. i sent you a PM Justin

j0n
12-06-2004, 08:55 PM
I have a guage cluster from an '89 formula that I could sell you for a pretty good price. I know it has a 120mph speedo, tach, and gas guage - I'll have to look again to see what other guages it has. The only problem is that it is designed for an electric sending unit for the speedo, and yours should have a cable sending unit.

I may have an extra electric sending unot from a 700R4 if you are interested though.....Send me a PM and we'll discuss it.

- Justin

only 55,xxx miles on it too :wink:

SpeakersGoBoom
12-07-2004, 09:11 PM
my 86 seems to be electric. tested it out at gsp on a sunday. got it up to a decent speed, and turned off the ignition...speedo and tac just died right away.

j0n
12-07-2004, 09:58 PM
best way to check is just goin in and rippin out the existing dash cluster...if its got nothing but quick-connect wire-type crap then its electric...also its very easty to get to...only a couple bolts

Tru2Chevy
12-08-2004, 09:45 AM
my 86 seems to be electric. Â*tested it out at gsp on a sunday. Â*got it up to a decent speed, and turned off the ignition...speedo and tac just died right away.

Hmm....I wonder if you have the original cluster in the car?

I was under the impression that the switchover from cable to electric was a mid '88 year change.

- Justin

PS - Sorry I didn't get back to you last night 86Formula, I was at class till after 10, and when I came home at 1 I didn't realize that I was signed on AIM. I'll try to catch up with you tonight if you are online.

j0n
12-08-2004, 11:55 AM
actually justin i think that the cable drivin switchover was in the middle of 86...any chance you could check which production number your bird is?

Tru2Chevy
12-09-2004, 09:57 AM
actually justin i think that the cable drivin switchover was in the middle of 86...any chance you could check which production number your bird is?

I doubt it....my '87 Camaro is cable driven, and one of the 120 mph clusters I bought for it was supposedly from an '87 and it was also cable driven. Most of the mechanical changes were made on the Camaros and Firebirds at the same time.

The easiest way to tell if it is cable or electric is too crawl under the car and look at the sending unit on the tailhousing of the transmission. The electric speedo cars have wires (2 IIRC) coming out of them, and the older cable driven ones just have one thinck cable coming out of them.

- Justin

JerzLT1
12-09-2004, 02:27 PM
any luck diggin up that cluster Justin?

86Transam
12-09-2004, 07:56 PM
if anything falls through wit 86 formula picking it up send me an im at Badass86transam.
I know my car has a electric speedo but i can use a cable driven, the speedo has not worked in over a year i was wondering if one of you fine gents will be able to help me out with that.
I NEEED A SPEEEDOMETER

Matt

Tru2Chevy
12-10-2004, 09:37 AM
The cluster I have is electric, and you now have 2nd dibs on it.....I'll let you know if it becomes available.

- Justin

86Transam
12-10-2004, 09:57 AM
oh it is electric not cable driven. cause i already have one of them i need help getting mine to work u have any suggestion?

Matt