PDA

View Full Version : relocating the battury to the rear glove box

wrong generation
12-07-2004, 09:39 PM
is this possible? or would i have to relocate it to the spare tire's home? if i have to put it where the spare tire is is it possible to put the spare tire where the rear glove box it ?

j0n
12-07-2004, 10:00 PM
rear glove box?

84HOtransam
12-07-2004, 10:49 PM
is this possible? or would i have to relocate it to the Â*spare tire's home? Â*if i have to put it where the spare tire is Â*is it possible to put the spare tire where the rear glove box it ?

if you put the battery in the trunk it needs to have an external kill switch...

NJSPEEDER
12-07-2004, 11:01 PM
you can doit, there is certainly enough space. the only problem would be creating a way to hang it. i will look in my car and see if i can come up with an idea or two.
for my 83 i am gonna make an aluminum bracket/tray to hold the batt in the spare tire well.

later
tim

Slow Z
12-08-2004, 10:45 AM
The battery should be on the passenger side. Better for weight transfer.

wrong generation
12-08-2004, 12:48 PM
well thats what im wondering. i wanna move it for weight transfer but would also like to keep my spare tire. so if i move the battury to where the spare tire is. can i move the spare tire to where the rear glove box is ?

jims69camaro
12-15-2004, 02:41 PM
well thats what im wondering. i wanna move it for weight transfer but would also like to keep my spare tire. so if i move the battury to where the spare tire is. can i move the spare tire to where the rear glove box is ?

no, the two sides are different enough that you'd have to have gone to engineering school in order to swap them. anyone that has moved it into the spare tire compartment has their spare in the well in the hatch area, or worse, in the back seat. while it can be said that for the weight transfer it's a better idea to put it into the spare tire compartment, the only question remains what to do with the spare tire. since it's already in a good place for weight transfer and you intend on keeping it in the car, i would go with putting the battery either in the well or in the odriver's side. fabbing up a bracket/tray to relocate the battery to the driver's side is actually fairly simple and there are examples out there.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=270234

since you've already asked this question and gotten decent answers to it, i wonder why you are continuing to look for an answer. the better question is what exactly do you want to do?

if i understand you correctly, you want to relocate the battery. do you not want to relocate anything else in the process, or are you open to relocating the spare tire? if you are set against putting the battery in the well or in the driver's side compartment, then i can only suggest that you dump the spare tire and jack and fab up a bracket/tray for the spare tire compartment. you will save some weight by not having the spare tire/jack in the car.

in any case, you will need a kill switch. the idea of relocating the battery and then putting in a dummy battery just to pass tech is ludicrous and you should forget you even saw that post. all of that just to avoid putting in a kill switch...

since thirdgen.org has adequate examples of ways to relocate the battery, i would direct you there. unless i completely misunderstand what you want to do with the battery, in which case i wish you luck in your search.

wrong generation
12-15-2004, 02:58 PM
well if you are wondering why i posted here and at thirdgen.org its because i posted at both at the exact same time. not one then a few days later the other. i figured id see which would give me the best or more reasonable answer. the idea of relocating the battery is mainly just for more room in the engine bay and not so much for weight transfer. ill be puting a pontiac 455 into my ta. the factory should have never put chevy engine in a pontiac.

NJSPEEDER
12-15-2004, 03:39 PM
Â*ill be puting a pontiac 455 into my ta. Â* the factory should have never put chevy engine in a pontiac.

knods head in agreement and dreams of next project car usign the 455 in garage with a 8-71 on top :D

later
tim :grampsch:

camaroracer1992
12-15-2004, 10:13 PM
i have the summit polished aluminum box in the rear cargo area of my 92 rs. i have the battery disconnect behind hte liscense plate offset to the light. all you have to do it trim the tail light and it looks factory and also you can still run with your plate up and not have idiots wanting to turn the switch on ya!!

z2815
12-20-2004, 03:49 PM
i have two batterys one under the hood and one in back for my stereo. the one in the back i have a battery tray where the spare goes. i welded one end to where the tire mounts and the other on the flat part.

foff667
12-21-2004, 08:54 AM
bmr also makes a box to fit in that exact spot...might be something to look into, install is pretty straitfoward...though no exactly legal for the track :)