PDA

View Full Version : Pinging?

JerzLT1
12-11-2004, 01:06 AM
i just got my Firebird home today and at WOT im hearing like a pinging or snapping noise. anyone have any idea?

Fasterthanyou
12-11-2004, 01:36 AM
Depending on the ping I'd say it's a lifter out of adjustment. Do you have an SES light?
You won't believe this because I can't believe it either but I have a 91 grand marquis that pings with low octane fuel. I don't know why but the pinging is audible and very nasty... you'd think for a completely stock motor that the knock sensor would have picked it up before it got that bad!
Relash your lifters just to be certain.

JerzLT1
12-11-2004, 01:44 AM
If i knew how i would :oops: the SES light isnt on and i JUST filled it with Plus from a super wawa. i was told it has a cam in it but if so it must be really mild cause you cant hear it at idle. im gonna do a full tune up on it $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and an Ignition system (anyone have one in mind for a L98?) Hit me up on AIM if you dont mind i have a couple questions for ya. Smartass15864 is my SN

JerzLT1
12-11-2004, 02:24 AM
oh when i said i was doing the tune up and ignition system i was hoping that would solve the problem since i have no idea as to what im doin with the lifters :cry:

90FormulaWS6
12-11-2004, 01:00 PM
it could also be the timing... check your timing and set it at stock then adjust from there

Fasterthanyou
12-11-2004, 05:22 PM
Since it's fuel injected AND you're getting an audible ping AND no SES light then I doubt it's your timing. There are routines in the code that test the knock sensor by advancing the timing until knock counts occure, if that test doesn't complete then it does it again with more advance. If no counts are detected the ecm thinks the knock sensor is bad and will set a code 43 and the car will run like absolute arse. It'll stop controlling spark so you'll be using the base timing and then a little more at a specific rpm, can't tell you how much it is or where cause I forget.
I'm back to my idea about lifters. You should set the lash on them.
Could the pinging be an exhaust leak near the engine? Sometimes they sound like pinging metal. Do a full check-up and bring it to a mechanic and pay him $20 to find out what's wrong with the car. I used to do this when I had no idea what I was doing. Saved me a lot of headaches and down time.

9secfirebird
12-11-2004, 09:16 PM
run higher octane maybe? if its an engine ping

JerzLT1
12-12-2004, 12:52 AM
how do i set the lash on them?

Squirrel
12-12-2004, 10:58 AM
this is for an LT1 but the steps are the same,
http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#adjust_valves

foff667
12-12-2004, 10:10 PM