PDA

View Full Version : TUNE UP!

JerzLT1
12-13-2004, 01:51 AM
since i just got my 86 Firebird i wanna do a FULL tune up incase anything went neglected while the previous owners had it. anyone have any thing they recomend ? brand and part. i was told AC Delco would be my best bet but i wanna go for performance. any ideas?

The Fixer
12-13-2004, 08:24 AM
AC Delco plugs, then MSD distributor cap/coil/wires. Change the fuel filter, air filter, PCV valve, do an oil change, and you should be good to go.

What motor is in it?

JerzLT1
12-13-2004, 09:05 AM
L98 and i thought Bosch Platinums were the best plugs?

ar0ck
12-13-2004, 11:00 AM
L98 and i thought Bosch Platinums were the best plugs?

All spark plugs are the same, they do the same job. Bosch just likes to advertise that they can do more so they can get more money for their fancy boxes.

AC Delcos are just as reliable and alot less money.

Squirrel
12-13-2004, 03:02 PM
if you feel like spending a little more money i suggest you go for new O2's sensor(s??), and new tranny/diff fluid

V
12-13-2004, 03:27 PM
i agree with alex about plugs, i bought splitfire triple platnuims for my 383 iroc when i buitl the motor, Â*after running it it was ok but not great, i changed the plugs and put in stock replacements ac delco plugs, after that the engine ran much better, i was surprised, from now on i will only use ac delco plugs. Â*

as for other tune up items, hypertech makes a affordable cap and rotor for hei, also msd is good for remote coils. Â*wires are only so much, there are several choices and all are reasonable even the summit brand. Â*point is that if your running a stock engine setup you dont need hi pro wires etc, theres really no advantage. Â*

filters you can use any stock replacents like ac delco or even fram brands. Â*

oil...well id recommend regular, not synthetic. Â*for older engines usng synthetic isnt always recommended, use a basic brand name oil, (quaker state, valvoline, etc) with a rating of about 10w30, or 10w40 if you engine has a tendency to consume a little oil.

you can also look into doing a trans service, but id recommend you have a shop do that one, also, changing the rear end fluid is a good idea, but that too id recommend a shop fi you dont feel comfortable about it. Â*also hows the coolant and blinker fluid look, you may want to flush and refill those systems .

9secfirebird
12-13-2004, 05:45 PM
IM me Cmeflybyyou

Squirrel
12-13-2004, 07:47 PM
i agree with alex about plugs, i bought splitfire triple platnuims for my 383 iroc when i buitl the motor, Â*after running it it was ok but not great, i changed the plugs and put in stock replacements ac delco plugs, after that the engine ran much better, i was surprised, from now on i will only use ac delco plugs. Â*

as for other tune up items, hypertech makes a affordable cap and rotor for hei, also msd is good for remote coils. Â*wires are only so much, there are several choices and all are reasonable even the summit brand. Â*point is that if your running a stock engine setup you dont need hi pro wires etc, theres really no advantage. Â*

filters you can use any stock replacents like ac delco or even fram brands. Â*

oil...well id recommend regular, not synthetic. Â*for older engines usng synthetic isnt always recommended, use a basic brand name oil, (quaker state, valvoline, etc) with a rating of about 10w30, or 10w40 if you engine has a tendency to consume a little oil.

you can also look into doing a trans service, but id recommend you have a shop do that one, also, changing the rear end fluid is a good idea, but that too id recommend a shop fi you dont feel comfortable about it. Â*also hows the coolant and blinker fluid look, you may want to flush and refill those systems .
:lol: