PDA

View Full Version : ah crap...monte is doing it again...code 51

V
12-24-2004, 12:55 PM
ok i thought i had the issue sorted out, and i registered and insured the car yesterday and finally took it out today. It now runs like CRAP, doesnt want to rev right, no power, wont go over 3k rpms, speedo wouldnt work etc. I pulled the codes again and all i got was code 51 again, bad prom or ecm. I figure since i already swapped out the comp it must be the "custom" PROM. I unplugged the computer and let it sit to clear the code, after about a min i tried it again, this time no code runs GREAT, revs soild sounds much better, i took it out and speedo now works and it feels right, i pulled bakc in my driveway, turned it off, then started it, and once again back to crap, with a ses code, i cleared it once again, then tried, bakc to good, you get the picture now i hope. So I KNOW the issue is COMP?PROM related, but i doubt ecm since it was swapped. i guess i need a new chip, someone told me to contact "fasterthanyou" about a prom. i dont need a specific custom burn as much as a mild modified chip just to allow my engine to run (350 SD, 5spd, no vats, no air select/diverter valves, LT1 injectors, K&n filter, & full headers) but i can drive the car if i keep clearing the ecm before everytime i start it. oh well...

Fasterthanyou
12-24-2004, 02:22 PM
You have a 350 with a 5spd, to run well you should let me burn a custom chip for that alone. Then the headers, no vats, no air, and headers is another reason. Believe me, you can spend $50 for another gm memcal (chip's inside) that's either for a 5spd 305 or an auto 350, both with vats enabled OR $100 for the custom that'll cover all the bases.

V
01-25-2005, 01:48 PM
i ended up sending the ecm and prom back to the guy i bought it and the modified harness from back in march. I Was surprised how helpful he was when i finally got in contact with him about it, he said to send it and he'll check it out. I was expecting him to say it wasnt his problem or that there'd be an extra charge, but all was good. A few days later he emailed me that he got it and tested it. He found there was a corrupted file that was causing the issue. He told me the SES light should flash or "wink" when the ecm is first powered up and it didnt do it, so he knew there was something going on. He said fixed it and made sure it was all ok. I'm very happy that ebayer seller stands behind his products. I just got it back today, so now tomorrow i'll try it out and see how it is this time, hopefully all is well. :roll:

camaro2you
01-25-2005, 06:19 PM
ya i hate those computer cars lol
next camaro i do is going to be an older one.

Ian
01-25-2005, 06:44 PM
ya i hate those computer cars lol
next camaro i do is going to be an older one.

I've got a 76 for sale

camaro2you
01-25-2005, 07:13 PM
ewww
any pics?
how much?
what is it?

Mike
01-25-2005, 07:32 PM
click the link in his sig