PDA

View Full Version : Clutch not disengaging

GrandmasterCow
01-02-2005, 12:32 AM
Hey. I just got a second new master cyl. Everythings hooked up, bleeded and all. Thing is, i have about an inch - inch half between the other pedals and the vltuch pedal, like it doesnt come out enough to line up with the others. also, it wont disengage the clutch at all. new master cylinder, new slave, spring and TO bearing. new fluid. has centerforce DF clutch. spent over an hour bleeding today without luck. can get pictures if needed. (this is a post 5-speed swap, still waiting to get on the street)

V
01-02-2005, 12:40 AM
How did you bleed it? thats all it could really be if everything is new and it isnt leaking anywhere. other than that all else i can think of is that the clutch fork is stuck.

GrandmasterCow
01-02-2005, 12:47 AM
theres no fork, its like the LS1s, has internal hydrolic slave.
well, my friend pumped it many times, held it down as i oepned the bleeder valve and closed it and pumped some more.

V
01-02-2005, 01:01 AM
oh ok thats right, the 98+ style, hmm. If you can bleed it, it doesnt sound like the master is bad. Where is the bleeder valve exactly? i did the clutch on my 01 SS but i didnt have to bleed it so i cant think of where it is. The reason i ask this is because If the tranny is installed i can't think how you could bleed an internal slave, i may be wrong but right now i cant picture the setup in my head.

GrandmasterCow
01-02-2005, 01:26 AM
the bleeder valve is located right above the opening for the hydrolic line to connect to. it sticks out about an inch past the bellhousing. you prboably didint need to bleed because you already had fluid enough in your lines and slave.

V
01-02-2005, 01:35 AM
ok, i did the clutch over 2 years ago so thats why i couldnt remember and yeah i didnt loose any fluid doign it so thats why i didnt need to bleed it.

i really have no other ideas, if everything is new i dont know what could be wrong, ill think about it and talk to a few people and see what i can find out.

GrandmasterCow
01-02-2005, 03:06 PM
thanks

camaro2you
01-02-2005, 06:54 PM
could be a little tiny bit of air gettin in somewhere

GrandmasterCow
01-02-2005, 10:24 PM
yeah i was thinking that but when i look and feel the lines, nothing. the res. is filled to the lined mabey a bit higher and its tight. the slave is connected tightly. i look in the bellhousing with a light and i see the spring pushing the preassure plate when my friend pushes the pedal, but for some reason its prob not doing it enough. -OR-, i had a nightmarish idea. what if when me and my friend were putting on the clutch togethe ron it, what if we pinched the preassure disk between the preassure plate and the flywheel? would it stay there?

84HOtransam
01-02-2005, 10:30 PM
im sorry i have never seen an ls1 style clutch but i did put a centerforce in my 84 and i was having a problem with the clutch disengaging.. i tried to bleed it and nothing seemed to help i even pulled the trans to make sure the clutch disc wasnt backwards...

well i ended up pushing the clutch pedal in and starting the car while in first gear.....the car lurched but then the clutch disengaged... someone told me when i did that it acually ground highspots off the disc...i have no idea if its true or not but its what worked for me...

GrandmasterCow
01-02-2005, 10:55 PM
i just tried starting it with it in gear to try to break it in, nope, didint work at all.

84HOtransam
01-02-2005, 11:08 PM
i just tried starting it with it in gear to try to break it in, nope, didint work at all.

hows the pedal pressure?

GrandmasterCow
01-03-2005, 10:19 AM
little tight but thats after neumerous hours of bleeding.

GrandmasterCow
01-04-2005, 02:27 PM
any ideas? lol. the pedal does sit lower than the others, i see the spring pushing up against the to bearing and the pp in the bellhousing, i tried putting it in gear then starting to break it in as some ppl recommended, but that didin't work.my and my friend bled it for 20 min today, still no luck, and i cant aford to take it to a mechanic because they wanted over 300$ just to examine it and take the tranny down and all to look at it.

DieselKickYoAss4Sure
01-04-2005, 03:46 PM
well i had many problems with the clutch on my car and i had to use a pressure bleader to get it right manually bleading dosnt allways work all that well on some of them things. my truck has a similar clutch to that of yours and that was a pain as well. also make sure and look if the slave is even moving maybe the pedal is out of adjustment.i dont know what else to tell you

GrandmasterCow
01-04-2005, 05:45 PM
im **** outta ideas

GrandmasterCow
01-18-2005, 10:32 AM
she lives as of the past thursday :). im still taking it to a professional to get looked over, but other than that she runs fine. i just need to get it tuned and get the codeplug of a 98 m5 v6.

Tru2Chevy
01-18-2005, 11:16 AM
she lives as of the past thursday :). im still taking it to a professional to get looked over, but other than that she runs fine. i just need to get it tuned and get the codeplug of a 98 m5 v6.

Did you actually figure out what was wrong, or did it just magically start working?

- Justin

GrandmasterCow
01-18-2005, 12:42 PM
me and my friend jim recut holes for the master cylinder and moved it all up and over toward the steering column more. jennifer, who owns pathogen, did an overlay with an image of her master cylinder and mine to match up and see how much i needed to shift mine. now, mines perfect :) only thing is it likes to pop out of reverse =\ but eh, im still takin it in either today or tomorrow just to get looked over. =]

foff667
01-18-2005, 12:46 PM
very cool...glad you got your issues worked out...now all you have to do is find a 95 with an m5 so you can get the bin and you'll be in good shape lol.

GrandmasterCow
01-18-2005, 04:24 PM
*98 :D

Tru2Chevy
01-18-2005, 05:34 PM
Cool beans....nice that Path could give you a hand.

- Justin

camaro2you
01-18-2005, 06:39 PM
kool