PDA

View Full Version : Rain effects Abs?

ar0ck
01-04-2005, 12:19 AM
I was driving on the highway today while it was raining cats and dogs, and when I got into 6th gear at around 60mph, the lights for TCS off & ABS Inop turned on (traction control & anti lock brake). I dont know why, I didnt touch anything, I didnt hear any strange noises so I fliped the toggle for TCS a few times and nothing changed.. And when i got off to go to work I pulled over and turned off the car, and started it back on and the lights came back alittle bit further down the road. I also tested the TCS and it was defenitly not on.

Any idea what could be causing this? Its happened before in the rain or after a cold start up.

Or could it be some kind of wiring gremlin, because Ive ran into a few lately, that I cannot figure out.

Mister_Johnny99
01-04-2005, 01:37 AM
Try pulling trouble codes from the computer.
It sounds like something wrong was detected after a routine diagnostic by the system.
Or it could just be a wiring gremlin!

V
01-04-2005, 01:45 AM
i had a similar issue with my ss, when it was raining out, my traction control would go crazy, going on then off. then my car started backfiring and missing. i was lost, but for my case, a fellow member over at ls1.com(back when i respected that site) told me to check the jet module i had recently installed onto the ecm a week earlier. he said he had one and it moved the harness back enough that it rubbed wires on the hood hinge and wore away the insulation and when it rained, all sorts of things went haywire. well i checked mine and thats what it was, i removed the module repaired the 3 worn wires, and no problems since, so maybe you have a worn wire somewhere and with water it makes a short. hope that helps a little.

foff667
01-04-2005, 07:52 AM
the other day in the rain i had a similar issue with my gtp...turned the car off and back on and both the abs and traction control dummy lights turned off so i dunno never had an issue before or since.

Injuneer
01-04-2005, 10:30 AM
Seems to be a fairly common problem.... my 94 Formula (ABS INOP) has done that a few times, and my 2001 Silverado (TRACTION INOP) seems to do it almost always in heavy rain and snow. I would guess its a problem with one or more of the wheel sensors.... possibly the water affects the connector, or the signal reception.

As noted, a "scan" of the ABS/TCS system would tell you what set the code, and which sensor to look at.