PDA

View Full Version : Whats Suspension do you have?

ar0ck
01-05-2005, 01:18 PM
What suspension components are you guys running if any?

Im looking to get ideas on combinations. Â*Before the summer I honestly plan to do all of the suspension in on shot, and I want to gather up all the parts. My goal is to be capable to run Auto-X for fun, Hit up a road coarse, and still have a good suspension to tear up the 1/4.

All I have right now is an RK sport 2 Point Tower Brace.

NJSPEEDER
01-05-2005, 03:20 PM
you will have to compromise a bit with your suspension selections since your goals are sooo spread out. drag racing calls for a compliant suspension, whiel road racing/auto-x calls for a much stiffer set up.
you can compromise by dropping the front sway when you hit teh drag strip and adding some drag radials or cheater slicks to teh mix.
for handling i would go with eibach pro kit springs, ws6 sways, bilstein heavy duty shocks all around, bmr extreme duty lower control arms and panhard bar, control arm relo brakcets, and a chromoly torque arm(bmr/slp/random tech all carry a nice all around bolt in models).

later
tim

camaro2you
01-05-2005, 06:42 PM
hey not to hijack the thread but im redoing all of mine at one shot in proably june then the car will most likely be on the road again and you guys will be able to see it for the first time:D:D:D

Savage_Messiah
01-05-2005, 06:50 PM
z-28 take off shocks and springs all around :P
and a replaced torque arm... somethin ****ed up on it a while back its just a stockish replacement tho... [assuming traction bar = torque arm]

Mike
01-05-2005, 09:14 PM
just ordered......spohn adjustable lca's, relocation brackets, adjustable panhard bar, h&r 1.25" lowering springs, and a spohn strut tower brace

plan on pickin up a set of bilstein hd's off of a fellow member.....

and orderin subframes before the install

a buddy of mine works at mufflex, and we are gonna rework my y-pipe to regain clearance and hes gonna do all my welding..

camaroracer1992
01-05-2005, 10:56 PM
cool sounds like a good combo. heres mine for drag racing

Spohn TA
" LCA's
" LCA relocators
" Panhard bar
BMR Xtreme duty drag sway bar
lakewood 90/10 and 50/50 shocks and deleted front sway bar

car hooks like a bitch at the track!!!! curvy roads are a different story

Batman
01-26-2005, 06:51 PM
Suspension can be such a fickle thing. Really what you want depends on so many variables. What does the car weigh? How much power is it making?, What do you want it to be better at? What is your budget? Since I am assuming you are looking for a good all around car you can drive everyday and hit the track or the local Auto X I would think you are going to want a relatively neutral setup. No crazy drag springs that bounce you down the road or road race struts that knock your teeth out. I am also going to assume you have a 3rd gen since that seems to be the most prolific car on the board (god bless you guys, i love 3rd Gens!). Â*So anyway I'll give you what I think is a killer setup and you can take from it what you will.

Up Front:
-Tubular wonder bar, really tighten that subframe up!
-WS6 Sway Bars, big, strong, and front one is hollow to boot!
-Poly bushings on everything you can get your hands on, try for the greaseable ones cause they will squeek on you
-Bilstein Struts, awesome all around strut, I have em, I love em. While you are in there checking/changing the strut mounts is always a good idea
-Sprigns can get a little tricky, you want good launches at the track or a corner carver? If you want good launches and good driveability try to find a set of WS6 or IROC springs (Moog makes some nice ones). If you want to knock out the knife edge turns drop it down on some Eibachs.
-Subframe connectors are a must!!!!! Especially for the T-toppers out there. Worth their weight in gold!
- Toss in a poly Trans Mount for good luck!

Now for the heart and soul of performance, the rear suspension!
-Torque arm, go tubular. If you aren't putting down over 450 to the wheels a standard tranny mount style is fine, any more then that go for the Spohn or BMR X-treme duty. I recommend a poly front mount if you want to drive it everyday (solid one bangs like a mother....)
-Panhard Bar, again go tubular, make sure it has poly bushings and grease fittings ala Spohn or UMI. If you are really going to drop the back get an adjustable one to fix the suspension geometry
-LCA's Tubular, greaseable again Spohn and UMI are very nice pieces (I have both, 1 on each car) If you are lowering the car make sure you get re-location brackets, Having tested a few cars if you aren't gonna lower it they don't do much, they help, but IMO not enough for the added cost/weight (5 LBS here and there adds up)
-Shocks, Bilsteins again, pricey but worth every penny
-Springs same as front springs, try and keep them a matched, purpose driven set.

Only other advice I have is keep it simple, don't go crazy with adjustable pieces you don't need if you haven't worked suspensions before.
So that is my longwinded, been around the block ALOT, personal opinion. Anyone feel free to contradict or add to my thoughts.

ar0ck
01-26-2005, 09:15 PM
Its a 1995 Z28 T-tops M6 Â*Someday will be looking to at least put down 400rwhp & 450ft/tq. Id like it on a budget but I prefer new parts. And as far as weight goes it'll be a full interior car no real weight reductions, just a relocated battery.

Injuneer
01-27-2005, 01:00 AM
Suspension on my 94 Formula:

-QA1/HAL shocks on all 4 corners
-HAL drag springs front, Eibach drag launch springs rear
-no front sway bar
-ES poly on all front end bushings
-Spohn tubular LCA's
-Spohn LCA relocation brackets
-Spohn panhard rod
-Spohn adjustable torque arm
-Spohn "race" rear sway bar
-LG Motorsport 4-pt shock tower brace
-custom chrome moly SFC's integrated with roll bar

http://members.aol.com/InjuneerZZ/images/Photos/Susp.jpg

http://cjcfo.fbody.com/members/injuneerzz@aol.com/PhotosL/DCP03674a.jpg

Since that picture was taken, the air bags have been removed, and the LCA's have been revised to rod ends.

Slow Z
01-27-2005, 11:19 AM
My suspension mods:

1) No frame connectors
2) stock LCAs, no relocation brackets
3) stock shocks and struts
4) stock sway bars
5) stock panhard bar
6) stock torque arm

The car drives like it came off the showroom floor (who woulda guessed!) It also hooks pretty damn good even though I have a feeling thats going to change when I start spraying it.

V
01-27-2005, 12:55 PM
right now i'm basically stock, however i have a new TQ arm and lowering springs. Â*my intrax springs SUCK, dont buy them. Â*Im replacing them in the next few weeks. Â*The TQ arm i have no is a sphon adjustable with the crossmember, since i tore my stock one apart. Â*I havent installed my relocation brackets yet, but i will when i change my springs. Â*In the next few months i will be buying the following:
adjustable Lcas
adjustable panhard rod
tubular front k member
tubular front a arms
subframe connectors

The front setup will be assmebled out of the car and the new motor installed then put in the car all at once. Â*Before that i will have a 9" installed, then by next winter ill buy my 8 point roll cage, so by next spring i should be able to hit the track. oh yeah, im building mine for the 1/4.

jrsfast84
01-31-2005, 06:15 AM
I have a White 1984 pontiac 15th annv. t/a, front suspension has a Profab perfomance chromoly k-member,arms,rack,stock moog springs,koni adjustables struts, rear has a Moser 12 bolt,488's,Custom made chromoly Torque Arm,panhard bar,,lower control arms-Made by Leo Barnaby at Neverlift Motorsports,QA1 12 way adj. shocks with stock springs from the car, welded in Competition Engineer frame connectors,spohn th400 trans. crossmember w/loop, BMR Extreme duty drag sway bar.

jrsfast84
03-09-2005, 05:50 AM
does anybody have the rear lower control arm relocation brackets on there car, are they worth putting on or not, if you have them why did you put them on your car for.looking for info. on them.for my drag car only mid to low 9's.on motor. thanks.

Tru2Chevy
03-09-2005, 08:59 AM
does anybody have the rear lower control arm relocation brackets on there car, are they worth putting on or not, if you have them why did you put them on your car for.looking for info. on them.for my drag car only mid to low 9's.on motor. thanks.

See this post: http://www.njfboa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2435&highlight=relocation+brackets

- Justin

ChickenLittle
04-23-2005, 08:53 AM
All stock for now

Spohn LCAs on the way, I'll install them the day they arrive 8)

Poly Torque Arm bushing for now...

my rear is 'walking up' when i put it in reverse, damndest thing I ever saw...so I figured bushings were shot... :roll:

12secondv6
05-15-2005, 10:26 PM
stock v6 springs
QA1 14 way adjustable shocks in rear
hal 12 way adjustable in front
v8 rear sway bar
no front sway bar
rubber bushings on rear sway bar
hotchkis trailing arms boxed
hotchkis pan hard rod
upper pan hard rod brace removed
rk sport tubular sub frames
random tech adjustable torque arm
poly torque arm mount
poly tranny mount
pa racing mild steel drag k member
pa racing mild steel lower a arms

I think that is it ;)

Wasted Youth
07-05-2005, 09:52 PM
IROC wonder bar...steering brace
hotchkis strut tower brace
SFC's
spohn chromoly non adj. panhard bar
spohn chromoly torque arm & crossmember

in the market for chromoly LCA's and LCA brackets

and my torque arm has the spherical rod end...and wow does that thing slam..has a small amount of play that when it was in my 5 speed car everytime i shifted it would slam...it is comparable to taking the transmission mount off of your car and letting it hit the trans tunnel...it slams that bad, i definitely suggest poly...when i order my LCA's, brackets...im also ordering a new poly bushing for that....