PDA

View Full Version : Removing GFX

Untamed
01-20-2005, 03:57 PM
I need to remove the ground effects from the nose and fenders before rolling my TA onto a tow dolly. Haynes' manual doesn't have a section on gfx. What tools will I need to remove them? Any trick to taking them off and putting them back on?

Mike
01-20-2005, 04:07 PM
umm check around the inside for some screws.....or might just be screws on the ends and double sided tape in the middle.....i dunno if they will have actual clips like some cars

(sorry never done a 3rd gen....you will get better info soon)

camaro2you
01-20-2005, 05:54 PM
ah yes glourious ground effects i learned the hard way.
pop your emblems off on the sides there are two screw under there
you have to take you fender liner off to get to some of the front spoiler ones and dont be surprised if they break off
mine did and i made two stronger nicer brackets ill take a pic once i figure what box i put em in. lol
my cars in boxes right now.
you have to take your plastics out and take you speaker assembly out and there is like two screws down thel hole just shove a flash light down there the backones theres are a couple of screws for the sides
the rear bumper one is one piece.
hope this helps you if you need some pics ill take them if i can.

Mike
01-20-2005, 06:09 PM
yup just what i thought.....MUCH different than my 95 and my 99

Untamed
01-20-2005, 09:04 PM
Because I'm a newbie at all this, pics are always best. I didn't know about the double sided tape and clips - good to know since I dont want to keep tugging at things until they break.

I don't anticipate needing to remove the read gfx when using a tow dolly, only the front ones since it needs to roll up a ramp and sit between the two trailer wheels.

I planned to get the car this Sunday, but because of the impending snow, I'm probably going to hold off until next Sunday. So no special hurry on those pics until the latter half of next week.

Thanks for the help guys.

V
01-21-2005, 12:51 AM
ok, i'm an expert at dismantling... ask anyone who has seen my garage, lol

first off, ill start with the bad news, the front nose ground effects are part of the entire bumper cover and not removeable. The bumper cover isnt too hard to remove itself, but 3or4 bolts per side are inside the fender and its easier to do if you remove the headlights and hood latch support panel first, .

The fender ground effect are pretty basic, 2 screws inside the wheel lip(they point forward) then 10mm row of bolts along the front, dont be surprised if they snap.

It can get pretty conplicated with all the splash gaurds under there since like every piece is conected to every other peice if 5 different ways. If you want my opinion, try to load it with all the gfx in tact, it will save you MANY headaches, just get a a few 2x6 pieces of wood and angle the dolly enough that it'll clear. If you must remove it all, I can provide pics, but let me know asap since the 88 gta i have will be getting scrapped tomorrow night.

camaro2you
01-21-2005, 05:41 AM
not on my 86 it wasnt
the front spoiler comes off of the front bumper cover

Untamed
01-21-2005, 08:37 AM
Yes please post any pics you have showing the location of the bolts and such. While I would prefer just loading the thing on there, since this will be done in the Winter and I don't want to spend hours in the cold using fine motor skills, I also want to preserve the GFX from scuffing.

Thanks guys.

V
01-21-2005, 11:43 AM
not on my 86 it wasnt
the front spoiler comes off of the front bumper cover

that i know... but thats a CAMARO, not a trans am.
i've dismantled over 20 f bodies, trust me.

i'll send you some pics in a little while of my t/a showing how it comes apart etc.

Untamed
01-21-2005, 12:06 PM
Thanks Paul.

Also include any tricks (if any) of removing the fog lights. I havent looked at them long enough to see if they are an easy removal or not.