PDA

View Full Version : Heads up????

NJSPEEDER
01-20-2005, 07:55 PM
hey gang,
seems like the heads up idea is pretty popular so i started lookin around the web for some rules ideas. tell me what you think of this.
heads up for "street" type vehicles. no limit on power adders, no minimum weight, bias tire limited to 10.5inch section(no w's allowed) and a max 315section for drag radials(that is a big damn radial :))
all cars must have full runnign gear and have current registration and insurance to compete. all cars must have a "full" interior consisting of drivers and passeenger seat(full size seat, seats don't have to match), carpeting and interior panels. back halved cars do not need to run carpet but should be otherwise complete.

does this sound like a reasonable basis for a heads up class?

i doubt it will attract a bunch of mid 7 second cars(they are soooo much fun to watch), but it should support 9 and 10 second cars nicely.

later
tim

Slow_88
01-20-2005, 07:58 PM
:cheers:

camaroracer1992
01-20-2005, 10:46 PM
crap im not applicable i run 28 x 11.50 tires :(

NJSPEEDER
01-21-2005, 02:21 PM
time to shop for some 28x10.5's and work on that suspension a little :)

later
tim

camaroracer1992
01-21-2005, 03:01 PM
lol yeah if youre buying the tires. i wont be running heads up then, oh well ill haev to dominate the other class :twisted:

CrAsH
01-21-2005, 07:33 PM
My car is to slow :oops:

NJSPEEDER
01-21-2005, 08:06 PM
My car is to slow :oops:

you order the pro charger and i will call them about sponsoring that way both of our issues are solved :P

later
tim

CrAsH
01-21-2005, 08:07 PM
wish i could afford at the moment

Injuneer
01-25-2005, 08:36 AM
Maybe I can borrow a set of 10.5's...... all I've got right now is a pair of 28x10.5-15W ET Drags and a pair of 28x11.5-15 QTP's.... no 10.5 "non W's".

camaroracer1992
01-25-2005, 10:15 AM
i dont think the 10.5 tire rule should apply. if its called heads up that to me means if you cant run with the big boys leave it on the porch. this class should only have the normal safety rules that NHRA has and thats it anything else should go, there may be some bad ass tubbed out cars there that cant run if hteyve got like a set of 18.50's on it

JerzLT1
01-25-2005, 01:18 PM
if a car is tubbed with a set of 18.50 on it its not gonna have a passenger seat or carpet cause its gonna be an all out race car so it wouldnt be able to anyway

NJSPEEDER
01-25-2005, 03:20 PM
i dont think the 10.5 tire rule should apply. if its called heads up that to me means if you cant run with the big boys leave it on the porch. this class should only have the normal safety rules that NHRA has and thats it anything else should go, there may be some bad ass tubbed out cars there that cant run if hteyve got like a set of 18.50's on it

we are avoiding having a wide open heads up class for a reason. if the rules go wide open that emliminates 99% of the people who woudl normally plan to participate because they know they won't be able to compete.
i can see allowing "W" tires ifg everyone thinks it is ok since that is what several national touring series and most of teh quick/ultra quick events allow.
making the rules an all out run what ya brung woudl eliminate just about every member of this club from even bothering to compete.

later
tim

Mike
01-25-2005, 06:06 PM
letting the fastest cars go their fastest wooouuld make for a good show 8):lol:

j0n
01-25-2005, 06:18 PM
it would be cool to have the "fastest cars go their fastest" but then the idea of having a big grassroots shootout gets lost to the big dollar ******** that are in it for the money and nothing else...yes i would like to see a 7 second shootout but i would rather see a 9 second shootout with people who built their cars to drive, not to make money

NJSPEEDER
01-25-2005, 08:49 PM
it is a matter of gettign cars to show up at all if you make heads up a wide open thing. everytime i have been a part of a show that tiend it there weren't more than 4 or 5 cars in the class. last time i tried it i got exactly 2 cars.
with some rules limiting teh cars it actually allows for more people to participate.
i agree it woudl be great fun to see the fastest guys around run, but without a sizable prize fund we woudl be lucky to see 2 or 3 actual fast cars. with a small tire "street" based rules system we can attract the mid 9 to mid 10 second cars that make up a much greater majority of teh boards than the handful of 8second cars that may possibly show up if we can come up with a bunch of cash for a prize fund.
if anyone can come up with rules that would open things up to more cars we can work on it. trying to say that the fastest cars around will all show up jsut because theey fit the rules just doesn't work out.

later
tim

camaroracer1992
01-25-2005, 09:11 PM
well my car is totally streetable with full interior minus rear seat i should be allowed to run. mine passes PA inspection every year :o . i could care less about prize money in the class from the sounds of it theres no pay outs anyway with this event correct? as far as the rules it should be a street driven/inspected car with lights etc. there should be no itsy bitsy tire size/interior rules applied. what the hell does carpet or an interior anyway have to do with street legal? neither is required for inspection

and also 86formula, i know at least 10 people with 18.50's on theyre cars that are streetable and 90% of them are fast as hell, so dont just think that only tubbed cars are race cars

Mike
01-25-2005, 09:29 PM
i wasnt refering to 7 second cars coming, i mean the guys that have already expressed their desire for the tires..

this may be a completly ignorant statement but.....wouldnt having a guy change to tires he dosent normally use express a safety concern?

NJSPEEDER
01-25-2005, 09:59 PM
the 10.5w tires i can see, so many people already own them since they are used in several series anyway.
runnign an unlimited tire class scares away 90% of teh peopel who woudl be eligable. so many people fear backhalved cars and other lrge tire set ups that they won't participate. without at least 8 cars in the class to fill a traditional pair down it isn't worth having.
i have worked on a bunch of shows that had some open form of heads up and they never draw more than a few cars unloess you have a huge purse to give out. last time i did heads up wit out any restriction at a show we got exactly 2 cars, that isn't gonna help the event any.
the rules package has to have some limits on it to keep it inclusive. what limits do you guys think woudl be reasonable and attract a full field?

how would a change in tire size be unsafe?

later
tim

camaroracer1992
01-25-2005, 10:03 PM
state inspected car with appropriate safety equipment

DOT on the sidewalls of the tires regardless of size rubberband to big ole' fatties :o

NJSPEEDER
01-26-2005, 10:21 PM
after talking to soem of teh guys over on camaroz28.com i am thinking we can alter the rules to eliminate back halved cars and allow teh 10.5W tires.
would the rules be better with a stock wheel well only or allow mini tubs for tire clearance. i think the mini tub thing would be fair since first and second gens can have a hard time clearing 10.5's if they are lowered at all, which most of us do to our cars to help traction anyway.
what do you guys think?

later
tim

j0n
01-27-2005, 11:27 AM
i havent understood one word of this entire thread so i must say....sounds great!!! :rock:

CrAsH
01-27-2005, 02:13 PM
y dont u have all of those classes and also have a class for the 7 second guys or big tire guys that way u can have all the street cars and sum track cars.

j0n
01-27-2005, 02:28 PM
not enough time/track space/pot money

yea that last one came out wrong

camaroracer1992
01-27-2005, 03:54 PM
in all honesty i would suggest not having a payout, or if there was one, dont make it huge. the money from that should go towards club related stuff i think like the fundraiser type stuff. i think if people got footage and all together like in the other post a bad ass DVD from that day would surely raise cash for NJFBOA.ORG

NJSPEEDER
01-27-2005, 03:59 PM
that is good thinking.
the only way there will be any cash payouts is if we get some bigger sponsors, like someone wanting to sponsor teh class. first thing teh money will go towards is bigger/cooler trophies (hmmm, how tall of a trophy will fit into a 1st gen for teh drive home? :D ) the rest of teh money would get put into prize funds or events costs, depending on what we could work out with the sponsor.

later
tim

CrAsH
01-27-2005, 09:30 PM
in all honesty i would suggest not having a payout, or if there was one, dont make it huge. the money from that should go towards club related stuff i think like the fundraiser type stuff. i think if people got footage and all together like in the other post a bad ass DVD from that day would surely raise cash for NJFBOA.ORG i agree

camaroracer1992
01-27-2005, 09:30 PM
i say get like a 6 footer for first place then a 3ft for 2nd and like a 1.5 for 3rd.

CrAsH
01-27-2005, 09:31 PM
i say get like a 6 footer for first place then a 3ft for 2nd and like a 1.5 for 3rd.
unless u got a convertable 6 fter aint gonna fit well

camaroracer1992
01-27-2005, 09:32 PM
who cares if a 6 footer fits, its sure as hell cool looking!

CrAsH
01-27-2005, 09:34 PM
who cares if a 6 footer fits, its sure as hell cool looking!
true

camaroracer1992
01-27-2005, 09:38 PM
i better get my car in tune for this gig to win that big ass trophy

CrAsH
01-27-2005, 09:40 PM
i wish i had a fast enought cr for it..preferably not 3rd gen lol

camaroracer1992
01-27-2005, 09:44 PM
im sure my car will be beaten by others that appear at the meet

CrAsH
01-27-2005, 09:45 PM
mine will prob be beatin by all that isnt 2.8l stock and auto

Savage_Messiah
01-28-2005, 01:06 AM
i wish i had a fast enought cr for it..preferably not 3rd gen lol

dont say fast and third gen in the same sentance.... without a "not" n front of fast :lol:

camaroracer1992
01-28-2005, 08:12 AM
in all honesty, it doesnt matter what gen/motor you have it all depends on your combination. i used to have a nitroused 305 TBI and i especiallly enjoyed it one day when some duche bag at the track with a 00 SS said he'd beat me well funny thing is a 305 tbi nitrous that hooked hard as hell vs a ss all stock everything beat it just because of suspension work vs his stock car. after that run it was nice to see the look on his face to tell him it was a 305 tbi with juice :o

jrsfast84
01-29-2005, 03:54 PM
i'm wondering if you plan on having a heads up class for cars with trans brakes,2or3 steps for burn-outs, trans-brakes,and slick tire cars,10.5" tires,no chassis cars,i run a stock style suspended 84' trans-am that goes mid to low 9's on motor, my home track is Island Dragway there nice people.looking towards racing on your day and having some fun.

NJSPEEDER
01-29-2005, 04:21 PM
if the car has current registration and inspection and has an interior in it then you would qualify for heads up.

later
tim

NJSPEEDER
01-29-2005, 06:40 PM
we are looking to finalize teh drag racing rules this week. any other considerations that you guys woudl be interested in seeing?
let us know so that we can finalize teh rules packages and start to seek sponsorships for teh classes.

thanks
tim

jrsfast84
01-29-2005, 07:21 PM
so all cars that will race that day will have to be 100% legal,my car is drag race only, but has all stock stuff there.

jrsfast84
01-29-2005, 07:25 PM
how many people have cars they race and are street legal,that also run 11's,10's,or faster.not to many i know of.

jrsfast84
01-29-2005, 07:33 PM
it would be nice to attend, if you would allow drag cars, only f-body cars, it would be an interesting day at the races,the people would agree with me,just watching some fast 10's & 9's fly down the 1/4 mile.thanks for getting back. :(

camaroracer1992
01-29-2005, 11:04 PM
i currently have a low 11 sec street legal car with almost standard weight that will run high 10's corrected. with some other mods im doing this winter the car will be deep 10's if not maybe high 9's.

but as far as heads up ive already been informed i cant run since i have a 11.5 tire. so you wont see this streetable beast perform most likely

joe

Mike
01-29-2005, 11:23 PM
how many people have cars they race and are street legal,that also run 11's,10's,or faster.not to many i know of.

theres PLENTY of streetable and street driven f-bodys in the 11's.

and as fun as it would be to watch 9 second cars go at it.....there would need to be other 9 second cars there for a race to occur.

tim has already said that the classes are set up to maximize turnout, wich is the most important thing

jrsfast84
01-29-2005, 11:32 PM
i hope they change there minds about it, but i did not mean anything by that, there are a few cars that run like yours and faster, but my car still could past as a street car-but hard to street drive a car with 14.8 comp., .800 lift cam, that will go 9.40's all day at the track and still drive to work every day, but HOPE THEY CHANGE THERE MINDS. so did you ever run at Island Dragway.

jrsfast84
01-29-2005, 11:40 PM
you said to maximize turn outs, if i went to watch races and was not impressed with the cars racing, why would i do this again, because people love to see fast and real fast cars battle it out ; that would make me come again or maybe get a car and help out,don't forget every car counts.

jrsfast84
01-29-2005, 11:43 PM
so if i couldn't race, how about a wheelie contest, i could definently pass for that- know question asked....... just my 2cents working again.

Slow_88
01-30-2005, 07:28 AM
My previous car was an 86z that was street legal and was good for high 10's 11 flat that was driven everywhere but the '88 should go a little faster Â*:lol:

I would also have to agree on the fact of having the cars legal to participate in the heads up class to show what TRUE street cars are all about...

Mike
01-30-2005, 09:34 AM
you said to maximize turn outs, if i went to watch races and was not impressed with the cars racing, why would i do this again, because people love to see fast and real fast cars battle it out ; that would make me come again or maybe get a car and help out,don't forget every car counts.

im not refering to spectator attendance, im talking about class turn out. who would want to sponsor or set up a class of 9 second cars, if only 3 cars are going to show up? It will only be a great show if enough cars to show up to make it a great show.
if 20 people with street driven 10 second cars are told that they have to be in the same class at a low nine second devoted racecar, how many will still want to pay the entry fee?

jrsfast84
01-30-2005, 03:23 PM
maybe you would set up a testing session for f-body cars that would be race cars only, on that same day, you could run them between rounds or something like that. i'm not trying to make anyone mad, just looking for a way to attend, i like hanging with other f-body's owners talk about there cars, info. on improving them helping some out. thanks.

NJSPEEDER
01-30-2005, 06:20 PM
the concept behind making teh heads up rules street based is that street cars make up teh bulk of our active membership.
we are going to see hwo things work out with having a test and tune/grudge lane. we have to see how much space we have before that can be decided.
no offense is intended to those who own all out race cars, we are just trying to plan things to work for the greatest number of members.
i can appreciate all out heads up as much as anyone, but from past experience i have also seen what it does to car counts unfortunately.

later
tim

jrsfast84
01-31-2005, 05:41 AM
i understand, let me know what the plans would be. i'll still look around on the site. thanks, J.R. Newman.

Malibu79
02-05-2005, 10:16 PM
i think all ur rules are gay the meet is for people to have fun not role up there in the morning and having be told that there drive to get there was only to waste gas cuz there are gay rules saying that people cant race it may be ok wit ur f body membets but what about locals to the track who have race cars everyone helps with the cost so why not let them race more $$$ = more sence i know i don't have a f body but now i don't even what to pay to watch :gheyfigh: :evil:

NJSPEEDER
02-06-2005, 01:30 PM
what the hell does that mean?
class rules create attendance and participation. it isn't likeisland dragway has a weekly heads up program that we can draw from, so we need to create our own class with it's own set of rules.

later
tim

foff667
02-06-2005, 01:53 PM
what the hell does that mean?
class rules create attendance and participation. it isn't likeisland dragway has a weekly heads up program that we can draw from, so we need to create our own class with it's own set of rules.

later
tim

i think what hes saying is there are alot of people on here without running fbodies or just no fbodies at this time but they still are members of the site and would still like to race...at least thats what im getting from his incoherant rant lol.

Malibu79
02-06-2005, 03:28 PM
whats with this registration and insurance thing :gay: what if somebody trailers their racer there and has no need for it, or if they just cant afford it on there racer

NJSPEEDER
02-06-2005, 03:49 PM
foff667, this is an f-body club. everyone knew that when they signed up. if they don't have a car to compete or show with they are still welcome to attend and support the event.
malibu79, the bulk of our club and f-body owners in general are street cars. that is why teh class structure is being based around street cars. it would be nice to have an all out "run wutcha brung" class to include race cars as well, but with the time adn space restrictions of a single day event it is unrealistic. therefore we chose to create the class that will satisfy the most members, instead of teh fastest few.

later
tim

EVIL90SS
02-06-2005, 07:02 PM
well how about this, me, phil, and tyler have an f-body project were workin on that nobody knows anything about yet, no reg, no insurance...but...we have equipment transfer plates...which makes the car legal...so...yea...chew on that one for a while !

NJSPEEDER
02-06-2005, 08:05 PM
what is your point matt? if you have a car that meets teh rules you are welcome to participate along with allthe other owners. so congratulations on whatever it is you think you accomplished.

later
tim

camaroracer1992
02-06-2005, 11:35 PM
sounds liek this event is getting out of hand. all these people bitching and whining, im not even going to come to this shindig with all these childish people posting and all. i mean how freaking old are ya?

NJSPEEDER
02-07-2005, 10:06 PM
rules will be posted in teh next few days and they will be considered final at that time.
unfortunately this thread has turned into a lot fo negative feedback. most of the constructive help that was received was through PM's or AIM. thanks to everyone who has helped.

later
tim