PDA

View Full Version : Painting the Interior

Untamed
01-28-2005, 10:55 AM
I've seen several references to painting the interior pieces of the car, including the center console.

What kind of paint would you use for this? Wouldnt the console door flake off since its padded? What kind of sealer / clear coat would you use to protect the dash pad paint from cracking due to the sun?

Savage_Messiah
01-28-2005, 12:34 PM
:typeR:

V
01-28-2005, 01:37 PM
i think he means like from grey to black, not colors like yellow, red, blue, etc.

To paint the interior trim, there are dyes available, they come in spray cans but are designed for dashboads, seats, vinyl, etc. some even work on carpet as well, otherwise you buy a seperate dye for any carpet sections. The dye will not flake or chip off ifs its a good quality. I just "painted" my bronco dash from red to tan, but its too late of a color and i need to find a dye thats a closer match. I got my dye at autozone and i just cleaned the dash and used light steelwool to rough it up a bit. the texture still remains. hope this helps.

Untamed
01-28-2005, 02:43 PM
Ah ok, a dye makes sense. I just couldn't imagine some spray paint sticking to leather or vinyl tops.

Thanks!

Here's an unrelated question - that typical problem of separation on the center console - is there a way to repair it? I haven't looked at it close enough to see if it just needs some glue on the backside of the padding, or if there is some other method of reattaching it to the plastic.

camaro2you
01-28-2005, 04:35 PM
ya if its real bad just look look for another in a junk yard or buy another one from like classic industires or year one but if its not to bad some hot glue might work.

V
01-28-2005, 05:41 PM
first off, good 85-92 bird junkyard consoles...um, they really dont exist, good luck trying to find one there, and second, i doubt Untamed wants to pay $229 for a new one, considering just the shifter plate for the console is $121.

Untamed, you are on the right track about fixing it, if you cant find a good used one, (locally or on ebay), you can try fixing it, it cant hurt. i fixed my 88 gta console a few years back, by carefully pulling it back and evenly applying some epoxy(cant remember the name now, but better than superglue or duco cement)(hot glue will not work due to being over the trans tunnel, the heat will affect it) Â*then i used something to hold the sides together and applied evenly to prevent the side from being wavy, and kept it tight for a while(overnight at least) until it set. looked pretty good. Â*I have 2 consoles right now in decent shape(minor seperation) which i will be trying to fix eventually.

and with the dye, my bronco dash came out pretty good, you just apply it with a "misting" motion, not exactly like spray paint. Â*I need to redo it again since my color is off, but i found the right one so thatll be easy.

HardcoreZ28
01-29-2005, 12:46 PM
For plastic pieces look for a paint by the company SEM or you can use the Krylon Fusion if there is a color that matches your application. I believe SEM even has some paints that will leave the same textured look as the factory plastic even if you sanded it down.

Jam
07-24-2008, 11:06 PM
Hardcore I just sprayed my 94z28's panels and it looks really good. I bought Dupli-Color Vynyl & Fabric Black Spray, cleaned off whatever panels I was spraying with water and a rag, and just sprayed it right on. I hated the GM greyish color dash and panels. Looks amazing now! i'll post up pics when I finish the rear ........I just realized this is 3 years old .. ****!!

Knipps
07-26-2008, 01:18 PM
at least you realized the age of the thread.. :lol:
got before/after pics?

Jam
07-26-2008, 04:01 PM
well i'm not totally done.. i'm gonna get red vinyl material and take out that tacky cloth in the door panel and possibly wrap the door with black vinyl with 3m glue. - i guess i can take a picture of it now and post it